One pick... your greatest album of all time?

2 hours ago, GinFizzLove said:

Remain in Light is great, also.

Definitely my favourite from Talking Heads. The albums produced by Brian Eno are the best IMHO.

One that comes very close to this is David Byrne/Brian Eno - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, which I thought was a groundbreaking album.

Woohoo, I just noticed, that was my 500th post!! I've just joined the Prominentes club! ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue. 

No doubt this thread exists in some form or another somewhere on here, but there's no harm in revisiting a topic like this - especially when I can't be bothered battling the "quirky" forum search func

Checking in late on this, I saw the title and immediately thought...Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I see I’m not alone. 

It’s rare for me to encounter the sheer beauty of a true wordsmith in song (James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and in a witty, eclectic stoner way - Todd Snider). 

It’s also rare to find a group of musicians whose  mastery of instruments melds together seamlessly as one over a period of several decades (Led Zeppelin, Joe Bonamassa, The Who). 

But the rarest of all is to witness both elements come together perfectly for an entire album. That’s Dark Side of the Moon. 

Hmm best album.   I think best song always has to be 'God Only Knows'. It's just perfect, and a lots of the world's leading musicians tend to agree.   Hmm best album?  For me it's Astral Weeks by Van Morrison or What's going on my Marvin Gaye. I love concept albums that hang together rather than 12 wildly different songs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarryVT said:

Hands down, without a doubt, no questions asked, the greatest of all times!

I know! It's so hard not to pick it but Physical Graffiti just has so much there. Pound for pound, Zeppelin IV is the champ but desert island, I'd have to go PG. 

7 hours ago, Sir Diggamus said:

Another vote for Dark Side of the Moon. I like the crowd here!

That one's never been my cup of tea actually. My favorite beginning to end is actually Wish You Were Here, but The Wall, like Physical Graffiti, just has so much greatness in there. I think it's the pinnacle of their creativity and range and it's certainly touched the most people including me as Dark Side of the Moon was a little before my time. 

• Like 4

So difficult.

I love all the other suggestions especially Dark Side of the Moon, but I can't forget the first time I heard "Awaken" by Yes, just blew my mind, from the Going for the One album.

IMG_3056.JPG

• Like 1

Hard question, and a bit of a cheat answer given this is more a compilation in the form of a recorded live concert w many guests but I would offer the The Band: The Last Waltz.

• Like 1

Greatest for me? I couldn't say definitively and it'll change by the minute.  I tend to binge records. I'll listen to one many many times then leave it for years. 

Let It Bleed is up there in my favorites.

There is a live  Clapton record, Just One Night, that gets me every time I listen to it. God, that guy is something else.

Mutiny 12"/Bad Seed 12"" by The Birthday Party.
Released as two 4 track twelve inchers but recently Mick Harvey said that it was intended to be a single album. Drugs got in the way of the rationality process... I've been obsessed with Nick Cave for close on 40 years and this is some of his most raw and visceral work. Incredibly dark, violent, emotional and expressive. As a 16 year old out made jaw drop and still does today.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

I'm another who could never pick just one and call it the truly greatest of all time. There are a few that come to mind off the top of my head - Aerosmith's Rocks, The first Van Halen album, some of the early Yes albums, The Clash, etc - that are meaningful to me, but would probably never be considered for the title.

Great jazz, classical, reggae..... Is anything greater than the Nutcracker score? Maybe yes, maybe no.

• Like 1

Torn between Zeppelin I, Zeppelin IV, and Dark Side of the Moon. Went to the vinyl collection to view the shape of the LP's and landed on one. I've two copies of Zeppelin I, two Dark side, and three Zeppelin IV - one of which was my original. The grooves on that copy are so worn it will just barely track. Given wear should represent listens -- ding, ding, ding - the winner is Led Zeppelin IV.

th2.jpg.41437ccbc5fb5e3f207191782d306800.jpg

• Like 1

Thought about some worthy mentions behind DSOTM...  

Paul Simon's Graceland - pretty much a perfect album, and a very innovative mix of African music made it a standout work. 

The Doors LA Woman - best road trip album ever! 

Tom Waits' Closing Time - Ol' 55 alone makes it worthy of mention.