2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 5

This is heavily edited, because this cigar was a complete waste of tobacco. I tossed it after about half an inch because the wrapper was burning separately and the cigar was WAY overfilled. Started to split right up the side as soon as I lit it. Frustrating.

Light colored wrapper with some minor flaws / damage, as well as a traditional style (NC) cap ... not the little divot of tobacco missing on a lot of Cubans rolled by experienced hands.

Aroma is hay, some slight sweetness

Pre-light draw is peanut-brittle and floral sweetness (love)

20191025_145300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Absolute class from start to finish. Huge honeyed sweetness, a little stone fruit to round it out. A little one-dimensional; in the sense that it didn't change flavour at all...and that was no problem at all. Sweet from start to nub. Yummy. 95 pointer. 

One thing this year's tasting has showed me is that 2018 tobacco needs virtually no ageing at all. 4 from 5 were ready to go right off the bat, 30-60 days in, no signs of youth at all, lots of sweet creamy tobacco. Hoe in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/2/2019 at 11:58 AM, GavLew79 said:

Absolute class from start to finish. Huge honeyed sweetness, a little stone fruit to round it out. A little one-dimensional; in the sense that it didn't change flavour at all...and that was no problem at all. Sweet from start to nub. Yummy. 95 pointer. 

One thing this year's tasting has showed me is that 2018 tobacco needs virtually no ageing at all. 4 from 5 were ready to go right off the bat, 30-60 days in, no signs of youth at all, lots of sweet creamy tobacco. Hoe in. 

Thanks for reviewing, and congrats on getting a good specimen.  Sounds like a fantastic cigar! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RDB said:

So, are we looking at another Robusto here? Or is it an Hermoso #4?

Mine correlates perfectly to a Robusto.  So it could be any number of Robustos.  Maybe even another PSD4 like #2! 

• Like 1

e0ff2a5653486c05db068c7ec2efaa69.jpg

WOW! Powerful smoke from first puffs

In my opinion this is the most difficult cigar of the five...

The cigar is unfilled.

Cigar is very difficult to smoke: ordinary puff give aggressive smoke and taste buds are burned. Slow puff gives a softer smoke, but the cigar quickly goes out. I cleaned the ashes several times and lighted it again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nKostyan said:

e0ff2a5653486c05db068c7ec2efaa69.jpg

WOW! Powerful smoke from first puffs

In my opinion this is the most difficult cigar of the five...

The cigar is unfilled.

Cigar is very difficult to smoke: ordinary puff give aggressive smoke and taste buds are burned. Slow puff gives a softer smoke, but the cigar quickly goes out. I cleaned the ashes several times and lighted it again.

Sounds like a very very young cigar. Agree, will be difficult to figure out what it is if it's overwhelmingly strong. 

I am just about to have mine.  Been keeping it at 62 RH, and dry boxed it this afternoon.  Hopefully mine isn't like yours.  

12 hours ago, nKostyan said:

But there is no ammonia emoji2369.png

You're absolutely right. No ammonia at all. I'm in the first third now.  

I agree with your assessment, a powerful full flavored cigar from the first puff. Wow! 

20191118_102706.thumb.jpg.bf9491f40e4de364ce4caf83c5a2c741.jpg

• Like 2

Bold coffee flavors all the way till final third which turned to salty minerals and cedar.  Had to relight a few times too. Wrapper split at the end.  Enjoyable smoke though. 20191118_112703.thumb.jpg.08bbf2ad5620c67519be3bcfcfb87690.jpg

• Like 3

Phwoar this is a manly cigar. If we hadn’t had a PSD4 already I would have gone for that. Dark burnt toast. Campfire earth. Touch of sweetness. Stronger than my usual scene in body and nicotine. Beautiful looking full colorado stick, and great burn. Really enjoyed this.

5758F0C4-355A-43EA-B8DC-B1CD81C3447A.thumb.jpeg.4f9e6fce7a03ee42ef940b86f7df88d3.jpegB2627CF6-5040-44B7-961E-3179F7439758.thumb.jpeg.6c218ec9f82ba73f1db2da29e5cd85cd.jpeg

• Like 4

Wow that was a sledgehammer! Glad I had a big lunch beforehand.

Full bodied, tight draw, but burned really well. First half slight sourness, woods, umami. Second half black coffee & umami. 

I need a lie down now...

IMG_3205.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 11:58 AM, GavLew79 said:

This is pretty much what my experience was. A mild sweet/honey, sour, some cream, some bread. Very well behaved. 

all this talk about a manly powerhouse coffee bomb makes me think we smoked completely different cigars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

all this talk about a manly powerhouse coffee bomb makes me think we smoked completely different cigars!

Yes it’s pretty interesting. I expect there’s a lot of variation in the cigars, the smokers and the situation they are smoked in. Fun!

6 hours ago, RDB said:

Yes it’s pretty interesting. I expect there’s a lot of variation in the cigars, the smokers and the situation they are smoked in. Fun!

All of our senses are super subjective.   Think about the huge fight we had about a dress being white/gold vs blue/black.

50 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

Ok I am still a newb, but what is this you are doing? Blind tasting a mystery pack you guys bought, or ?? 

I would LOVE to get in on something like this if you do it again!

Earlier this year we bought a sampler pack of 5 cigars where all the bands had been carefully removed and replaced by numbers. The idea is to blind taste these and submit a guess. Correct guesses of each round get you a discount in store, while I didn't pay attention to what's the prize for the overall winner because I was never gonna get there anyway!

I'm new here too but apparently this happens every year. As a first timer, it is indeed humbling. I also came to realise that there's a lot that I have yet to experience and smoke more of. Cigars like #1 was pretty interesting in terms of results as a large majority of the field guessed one marca but turned out we were all wrong. 

On 11/24/2019 at 8:15 AM, slowsmoke said:
On 11/3/2019 at 2:58 AM, GavLew79 said:

This is pretty much what my experience was. A mild sweet/honey, sour, some cream, some bread. Very well behaved. 

Just smoked mine last night and I am definitely in your camp on this one. There were admittedly some coffee flavours early on for me but the power did not develop and stayed right around medium

• Like 2

This one was interesting. Started off with a big kick. Black coffee. Thought I had it pegged at the half inch point. Then...it totally sat down. Fruity flavors came in. I'm pretty sure about it now. Mine had a horrible burn. Really stayed tame the rest of the way. I'd score it about 88 due to the poor construction. 

• Like 1

My #5 was well constructed, and burned well. This was an assertive cigar in both body and strength.  The flavor profile was characterized by tangy black coffee, pepper, and a bit of cayenne-like spice. There was not much in the way of evolution, and the mouthfeel was rather dry (ie not creamy).  I wouldn't seek out another, though I'm pretty sure I have more of these in my collection...  

• Like 2

Really enjoying #5 right now, into the final third. I’ve tasted this before, definitely in my wheelhouse. Mine has had a good transition from coffee with some sweetness, to bright fruit sweetness with some hay and coffee. I like it. 

• Like 2