What’re the cigars you feel like constantly over-deliver?

Smoking with @Wailbait and it just occurred to me that there are some boxes and even cigars that just over deliver. Smoking a ULA 2015 Mdo 4 and man...just crushed it. 

I also think that ones that one counts on also says a lot about where one’s palate is at the moment. What’re your over delivers? 

leepers 

• Like 1

Over deliver as in price paid for quality of stick compared to something more expensive? Or do you mean one that is just too good to be true? I agree about where your palates at. Cigars almost always taste different to me however I like them the most after eating or drinking something sweet, espresso, or a ribeye.

LGCmdo4 has been my all time favorite stick and I'm pretty sure it was a 15 or 14. I have a box of 16s in bound that cant arrive soon enough.

• Like 2

I was just going to say that every time I pick up an MDO 4 I am surprised by what a great and consistent cigar it is (even the ugly ones). I’m working through an MSU July 17 box right now that has been fantastic, and it’s getting to be about time to grab another. It’s funny because I feel like the box had some cigars that seemed younger with fuller strength, and more pepper and fruit notes whereas others were more mature with silky smooth and rich smoke, but I love that cigar both ways.

It’s the little guys that often over deliver for me. RyJ petit royales, MMC, HUHC, and BCJ. Usually I reach for them because I don’t have the time to commit to something bigger (which I definitely would rather light up), but I end up walking away thinking wow that was great. Probably why they’re the only thing I go “deep” on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slowsmoke said:

RyJ petit royales

These have been a great addition for me......a real success. Really rich, and a nice blend between R&Js both sweet and savoury profiles.  Often prove to be just as, if not more satisfying than smokes twice its proportions & price

• Like 2

Hope Habanos S.A. doesn’t see this thread, they’ll start thinking they should raise the price on anything that “over-delivers”. ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

If a cigar is constantly / consistently good, does it really overdeliver? For me, the true outperformers have been outliers.

Great question.  Sadly, I have come to expect and accept a certain amount of duds when it comes to Cuban cigars.  For me, a cigar with a lower “dud” rate outperforms.  Not that I have one, but I’d be really surprised if my Ferrari never had any problems as compared to my Honda Civic.  As with most things in life, it’s never really about good or bad in an absolute sense, it’s about expectations being met or unmet.  (To that end, I suppose if a cigar consistently “performed” then it might be subject to higher expectations so that puts what I said above into question.)