What’re the cigars you feel like constantly over-deliver?

12 minutes ago, Wailbait said:

Great question.  Sadly, I have come to expect and accept a certain amount of duds when it comes to Cuban cigars.  For me, a cigar with a lower “dud” rate outperforms.  Not that I have one, but I’d be really surprised if my Ferrari never had any problems as compared to my Honda Civic.  As with most things in life, it’s never really about good or bad in an absolute sense, it’s about expectations being met or unmet.  (To that end, I suppose if a cigar consistently “performed” then it might be subject to higher expectations so that puts what I said above into question.)

I'd initially intended to add a little more to what I'd posted, along these lines. So, I usually have expectations regarding overall quality. I've a fundamental understanding of the product....

There are duds. Simply bad cigars. Variations within a box, across boxes. My thought is the cigar I've smoked a number of times, and then having one make me stop and look and think to myself "WOW" for lack of better  expression - and I've had a few. But they have been the outliers. I asked the initial question because members mention cigars that "always" deliver. That's a good thing, but not, in my mind, over performance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

I'd initially intended to add a little more to what I'd posted, along these lines. So, I usually have expectations regarding overall quality. I've a fundamental understanding of the product....

There are duds. Simply bad cigars. Variations within a box, across boxes. My thought is the cigar I've smoked a number of times, and then having one make me stop and look and think to myself "WOW" for lack of better  expression - and I've had a few. But they have been the outliers. I asked the initial question because members mention cigars that "always" deliver. That's a good thing, but not, in my mind, over performance.

Totally agree with this point.  There are few in that realm.  Had a 2013 Punch Punch about 5 months ago so memorable that I’m still thinking about it. Now I like Punch.  But boy did that one “overdeliver.”

Bolivar Belicoso Finos ... Almost every time I smoke one, I can’t believe they don’t cost more.  This may be blasphemy, but y’all can keep your Connies and your Winnies ... I’ll take a Boli any day.

• Like 4

For some reason this questions leads me to small cigars:

San Cristobal El Principe

RA Small Club Coronas

Trinidad Reyes (I find these as good as any Trinidad)

Partagas Coronas Junior

RG Perlas. Now., as far as the "Why can't more cigars consistently be this good?" reaction, HU Royal Robustos and VR Unicos. For price, or just consistency alone, I would have to say these over-deliver. Not so much in relation to my expectations of those cigars themselves, but in comparison to the variability of so many other Cuban cigars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSegal said:

For some reason this questions leads me to small cigars:

San Cristobal El Principe

RA Small Club Coronas

Trinidad Reyes (I find these as good as any Trinidad)

Partagas Coronas Junior

RG Perlas. Now., as far as the "Why can't more cigars consistently be this good?" reaction, HU Royal Robustos and VR Unicos. For price, or just consistency alone, I would have to say these over-deliver. Not so much in relation to my expectations of those cigars themselves, but in comparison to the variability of so many other Cuban cigars.

+1 on Principe.  They still last an hour for me Every time.  Never disappoint.