Question on Date Codes

There was a post on another website asking if the box of Cohiba Siglo VI SLB (25) was legitimate.  This person was supposedly in Beijing and was offered $300 for the box which already sounded alarm bells. The authentication code also came back as not registered but sometimes it happens. Everything looked ok on the surface except for one thing, the box date was 'DEC 16'.

Sometimes I think counterfeiters ask to see if its real or not to test out their wares as the post was deleted soon after.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:31 PM, El Presidente said:

Has anyone seen a box code where the month is in English?

ie. DIC = DEC   ENE = JAN

Someone asked me the question so I thought it best to put it out there :ok:

Interesting question.  I went back into my inventory pictures of my current cigar stock, going back to 2006 and 2007 boxes, various vendors and direct purchases.  Everything that's January, April, August and December are showing as ENE, ABR, AGO and DIC.  No English abbreviations found.  I did see a variance of the symbols and spaces used between the month code and the two-digit year date though, ie "ENE - 09", "JUL09", "ABR * 12", and "JAN 12".

No. But some of the dates look like the English spelling but it's just the abbreviations of the Spanish words.

All of them  minus ENE (JAN),  AGO (AUG) .ABR (APR) and DIC (DEC) are the same in both English and Spanish.  So box codes with JAN, APR, AUG and DEC would be suspicious.