Export of cigar tobacco leaves from Cuba. Reality or deception?

Recently, one of the two Russian cigar manufacturers announced a sensation: allegedly they managed to officially (the deal was agreed by Habanos SA) buy a batch of Cuban cigar leaf except for the wrapper (wrapper will be from Ecuador). Question to experts or insiders: is it possible to officially import 140 kilograms (about 300 pounds)of cigar tobacco from Cuba?

Don't rollers go around the world with Cuban tobacco shipped to the stores in advance? I'm not sure how much gets sent in kilos, but I'm from the States and we refuse to go metric.

Rollers are officially representatives of Habanos SA, they do not make cigars with foreign bands...

57 minutes ago, kalibratecuba said:

Don't rollers go around the world with Cuban tobacco shipped to the stores in advance? I'm not sure how much gets sent in kilos, but I'm from the States and we refuse to go metric. emoji16.png

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

When rollers go on tour, tobacco is arranged to be shipped to the LCDH's they are visiting.  Hamlet explained how it worked.  At least for him. He'd select the tobacco he wanted in Havana and it would then be shipped to the Canadian distributor, Havana House in Toronto.  He'd have to go pick it up and then carry it around from shop to shop.  That tobacco would be used to make custom rolls at the shops.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalibratecuba said:

Don't rollers go around the world with Cuban tobacco shipped to the stores in advance? I'm not sure how much gets sent in kilos, but I'm from the States and we refuse to go metric. emoji16.png

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

No idea how it works in other countries but in Germany AFAIK the tobacco comes from the 5ta Avenida warehouse where it is in bond and the rollers get it from there for their tour.
It has to be weighed and consumption noted for tax purposes.

• Like 3

I think it's a fairly open secret there are several NC brands using CC tobacco in their filler. As far as someone outside of the industry arranging for Cuban tobacco? I can't see it happening.

Do you mean the tobacco from cuban seeds?

30 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I think it's a fairly open secret there are several NC brands using CC tobacco in their filler. As far as someone outside of the industry arranging for Cuban tobacco? I can't see it happening.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Who is pulling that off and how?  The only "NC" cigars I know of with Cuban filler are the ones made in Toronto at Frank Correnti Cigars.  And from what I understand, the Cuban filler they have is over 25 years old.  They use Dominican binder and wrapper IIRC.  Correnti's claims to have or had an export agreement with Tabacuba for many years.  Not sure if they still do though.  There have been rumors of Cuban tobacco being misdirected on a whim by Habanos execs who are then promptly dismissed.  The one I recall was that in 2013 a whole whack of tobacco destined for the 2013 EL's were sold and shipped to Spanish cigarette makers.  This is why the Punch Serie D'Oro No 2's were HTF.  

Modern crop? In cigars imported to the U.S.?
Tell us more.

As had been addressed in another thread just recently, basically this is nothing too exceptional. Cuban raw tobacco had always been exported, always. The question is, what qualities? The fact that said Russian producers cannot get hold of Cuban wrapper is already telling something. Their tobacco will be far from being A-grade leaf.

There is Cuban tobacco and there is Cuban tobacco! Hell, folks, they are selling peso cigars by the bundle for nothing. Cuba isn't really limited in "tobacco", it is limited in top-grade, i.e. export-grade leaf. And when Cuba speaks of "export grade" it is always and only the finished product that is meant.

Other than that there is lots of rumour and unproven claims. Present the facts, and we speak.

See also here:

On 10/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, El Presidente said:

"Havana, Oct 15 (Prensa Latina) ..... As part of the strategy to increase revenues, several initiatives have been implemented such as increasing special editions of Premium cigars (hand rolled) and sales of surplus raw material that cannot be used to roll, he pointed out. ..."

On 10/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, El Presidente said:

They have been doing exporting Cuban tobacco for the 25 years that I have been in the game. They don't export their primo cigar leaf however.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, Fugu said:

Like Rob sais, Cuban raw tobacco has always been exported, after the revolution mostly low grades and picadura. Not just for cigarettes (Brascuba), also for cigar use. Even some European makers of dry-cigars use it. So, that is nothing new or surprising at all. But don't hold your breath on that one. Neither quality leaf, nor do the big NC-brands use Cuban leaf in their blends since product simply wouldn't be marketable in the US.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, El Presidente said:

They have been doing exporting Cuban tobacco for the 25 years that I have been in the game. They don't export their primo cigar leaf however.

For what it is worth......

My last trip to the island involved conversation about how much cigar tobacco the government warehouses are holding.  I heard by several farmers at different locations so they weren't just agreeing with each other, that there is more leaf in these holding tanks than could get used in the next 5+ years if they never added any more in that time.

So, with those thoughts, to me it only makes sense that leaf gets exported in "some fashion" to supplement the struggling island coffers.  Just my thoughts.

:unknown:

While visiting family in Finland last year, I read some articles about last operating cigar factory in Finland - J.Sundqvist.  According to the articles I read, they used Cuban tobacco that was supplied by a Dutch wholesaler.  Unfortunately, it looks like J.Sundqvist has recently ceased operations.   

2 hours ago, bundwallah said:

The one I recall was that in 2013 a whole whack of tobacco destined for the 2013 EL's were sold and shipped to Spanish cigarette makers.  

*WHAT a TRAVESTY....taking wonderful Habana cigar tobacco and giving it to murderous cigarettes mfg.!??? OOOOHHHH, again The TRAVESTY :covereyes:  :angry:

6 hours ago, Fugu said:

As had been addressed in another thread just recently, basically this is nothing too exceptional. Cuban raw tobacco had always been exported, always. The question is, what qualities? The fact that said Russian producers cannot get hold of Cuban wrapper is already telling something. Their tobacco will be far from being A-grade leaf.

Fugu is correct. 

This has been occuring as long as I have been in the business (1996). 

Goya is one canary island brand that worked on cuban blend filler but Dominican wrapper. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Recently, one of the two Russian cigar manufacturers announced a sensation: allegedly they managed to officially (the deal was agreed by Habanos SA) buy a batch of Cuban cigar leaf except for the wrapper (wrapper will be from Ecuador). Question to experts or insiders: is it possible to officially import 140 kilograms (about 300 pounds)of cigar tobacco from Cuba?

no.

• 4 weeks later...

The Director of the factory gave an interview for a youtube channel, where he published documents for the purchase of Cuban tobacco. Trade secrets are retouched, documents are published by their owner, so I think it is legitimate to show them.
Interview:

Documents:
0614fa006418a03fa7546489b6cf65fd.jpg
ac778536eda73f84e8fb8795cd02e089.jpg
95c26de72ed1be335951c46be25eb358.jpg
  • Like 2

As you can see we are talking about 7 tons of tobacco. I'm surprised Habanos SA figures as a seller, I expected it could be Cubatobacco. The only expectation that came true-the taste of these cigars does not have even a pale hint of the taste of Cuban tobacco

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nKostyan said:

As you can see we are talking about 7 tons of tobacco. I'm surprised Habanos SA figures as a seller, I expected it could be Cubatobacco. The only expectation that came true-the taste of these cigars does not have even a pale hint of the taste of Cuban tobacco emoji38.png

That doesn't surprise me. There's a lot of factors there and I suppose what they are doing on the island won't be replicated exactly

[mention=31765]nKostyan[/mention] I love your info! Also, I enjoy hearing what you say about Moscow / Russia smoking culture. I’ve not had the pleasure of visiting your country yet... hopefully one day.

Thanks! If you decide to visit us, you are welcome. Before the 1917 revolution, Russia was one of the largest manufacturers of cigars and tobacco products. The Communists destroyed cigar production and cigar culture. Now the cigar culture is reviving, including with the active participation of Habanos SA.
  • Like 3