Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedro RAU SEP 16 (NRW)

I purchased this box in the middle of 2018.   It was my second CC purchase which also included a box of 10 Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especials.  The Hoyo have smoked very good but the Coronitas en Cedro were horrible.  They were cedar and tons of black pepper and some acrid flavor that made them bad but not unsmokable.   I was going to rest them for another 6 months after smoking one in September for a review that showed a little promise.   But after seeing this weekends review I had to review this one again.   If you look at threads were people talk about these it is kinda mixed on the reviews mainly that they are good especially for the price or don't bother with them.  

DSC_2114.thumb.jpg.c79e7b6844778688a3015d241e6df37a.jpg

I paired it with a pumpkin beer from a local brewery.   They have cool cans where you pull a tab and most of top of the can comes off.  I wish it was as warm as yesterday it got to 70 but it was decent with a jacket.  Also it is November in the Midwest so it is bound to be cold.   I cut it and cold draw was light tobacco with a bit of sweetness.  The draw seemed like it was going to be a wind tunnel.

DSC_2116.thumb.jpg.f4b2c7f7de956eb84de01cabbdde1894.jpg

First third starts off with a light touch of vegetal and then i start getting a lot of honey, cedar, and some grass.   I had already been thinking of funny things to say as I figured this would smoke the way the others had.  But I was pleasantly surprised.   The draw was not as open as I thought it would be.   It burned really well no need for any touch ups.  It is producing tons of smoke and it is one of those cigars that never wants to go out.

DSC_2121.thumb.jpg.59c494f4b7167b44f1575bbc5edcc475.jpg

2nd Third and I keep getting the same sweet honey, cedar, and grass flavors.  I am thinking man if the rest of this box turns out like these I will have trouble not smoking through them quickly.   I hit a spot where it seems like the smoke just drops off.   I puff a couple times and feel like I am past it.   Then it just goes out.   I ash it and see a big void in the tobacco.   I am not surprised the first one I smoke burned super weird and would stop and start at the end I gave up because it would not stay lit.

DSC_2124.thumb.jpg.55a9c33ab20eb5b4d9019ab54ca327bd.jpg

I get it lit again and it is smoking fine.

DSC_2125.thumb.jpg.16b063e8dc0d8c2581d246809001f2db.jpg

Last third and just more of the same flavors with a bit of pepper.   It is still putting out tons of smoke and it does not seem to be getting that much stronger.

DSC_2127.thumb.jpg.edb1d0acbdfed0c3738d4d96be052a63.jpg

If the rest of these cigars smoke like this I would be in heaven but this cigar has spited me too many times to believe that could happen.   Besides the hollow spot this cigar burned beautifully.   I am going to give it a 93%.   Without the hollow spot I would have given it a 95 or 96%.

• Like 3

These do get overlooked for sure. I cracked a box that’s 5 years old this summer and they have been great cheap smokes. There were a few that had some construction issues but if you can grab a box of these with age for cheap or buy them and forget about them for a they turn into a pretty good value.