Cooler options

37 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Start and end with this one - Coleman® Extreme Marine Pro Marine Cooler 150-Qt.

You may need more down the road but trust it's the best start.

I saw Marine 150qt 6 Extreme and Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro from Coleman website. What are the differences between Coleman Marine 150qt 6 Extreme and Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro?? Coleman Marine 150qt 6 Extreme is being sold in quite affordable price on Amazon though (can't find Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro on Amazon unfortunately).

1 minute ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

I saw Marine 150qt 6 Extreme and Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro from Coleman website. What are the differences between Coleman Marine 150qt 6 Extreme and Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro?? Coleman Marine 150qt 6 Extreme is being sold in quite affordable price on Amazon though (can't find Marine 150qt 6 Offshore Pro on Amazon unfortunately).

No idea really. I only know I have two of the former and they've been great aside from having to root around for boxes as they hold so many. I'd go with the lower priced as I'm sure they're both fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

No idea really. I only know I have two of the former and they've been great aside from having to root around for boxes as they hold so many. I'd go with the lower priced as I'm sure they're both fine.

Thanks buddy! Offshore Pro has thicker inner wall than Marine Extreme according to Coleman (Offshore Pro has super large 200qt cooler too, but don't have slots unlike 150qt and the price is almost the same as Yeti coolers), but Coleman Marine 150qt 6 Extreme is still great for coolidor conversion (cheaper too), so I'll go with Marine 150qt 6 Extreme cooler ?

• Like 2

I have two. Coleman Marine 150 QT and Coleman 150 QT Extreme 6 day Marine. $59.99 plus tax and $69.00 plus tax respectively. Both delivered to my home from Wal-mart. Stacked on each other to form a makeshift dresser. And thanks to the cigar terror that is 24:24, both are completely full. 62 Bovedas and Boveda Butlers. No problems so far. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mikeltee said:

How many 60g bags are you guys using in the 150? I'm guessing it's cheaper to buy a large humidor with electronic control than fill them with bovedas every year or two. Maybe I'm wrong. Too bad its the only option for 62.

I bought a bunch on ebay; not sure of exact counts but probably 20ish in each. I have noticed most of the cigars that come home from Cuba and from 24:24 are fairly wet. Mine stay solid for the past 6 months at 68/68 even with the 62's in there. I expect they will last next to forever and I am fine with those storage levels. I pull from there and move to a secondary container(s) to prep for use.

59 minutes ago, Mikeltee said:

How many 60g bags are you guys using in the 150? I'm guessing it's cheaper to buy a large humidor with electronic control than fill them with bovedas every year or two. Maybe I'm wrong. Too bad its the only option for 62.

My last Bovedas (65%) are 5 years in and still going.  If your seals are good, and your temperatures are stable, you'll get a very long life out of the Bovedas.  Of course if you're sticking in lots of dry boxes that will shorten their life, but if your exterior environment is close to 50-70% rH you should get a very long time out of the passive Bovedas.  If you're in someplace very dry, then perhaps active humidification will be a solution, but there's always a risk with those systems over humidifying, so if you can rely on passive systems like the Boveda that would be best even if it's a little bit more $$.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

My last Bovedas (65%) are 5 years in and still going.  If your seals are good, and your temperatures are stable, you'll get a very long life out of the Bovedas.  Of course if you're sticking in lots of dry boxes that will shorten their life, but if your exterior environment is close to 50-70% rH you should get a very long time out of the passive Bovedas.  If you're in someplace very dry, then perhaps active humidification will be a solution, but there's always a risk with those systems over humidifying, so if you can rely on passive systems like the Boveda that would be best even if it's a little bit more $$.

It is crazy dry here and those marine coolers hold steady. I started with plans for all kinds of difficult setups and am so glad I did not get far down the road. I bought a small wineador and it created a mess with condensation. I am very happy with the cooler setup as I keep my house at ~70F year round.

Thanks for your responses guys. I have seen the 20 packs on ebay but they arent exactly cheap. So how many are you stuffing in the 150qt? All 20? I guess $150 and possibly greater than 5 years isnt too bad especially considering they are stackable which humidors are not. I also didnt realize that they come from overseas wet but that makes sense considering they sit in a box for a month for some of us.

8 hours ago, Mikeltee said:

I was wondering the same, back when I was considering cooler vs cabinet. Ended up going cabinet for the aesthetic but, in the process, I learned that boveda packs can be recharged by soaking in distilled water. Nice cost saver for those 62s. 

12 hours ago, Lucass111 said:

For those that store their collection in coolers what ones are good options. I'm looking at about 120qt size. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Best options?

Multiple coolers...

(...enough's never enough, LOL!)

• Like 1

I have a Coleman extreme that is now almost full. I had the cooler and used it for camping for years. The difference between it and other models is the amount of insulation which really isn’t relevant for Coolidor. The issue here is the seal, and mine has been great. 
I picked up a number of hydrometers off of eBay. With a pound of 65% heartfelt beads my Coolidor is rock solid at 65% regardless of wet cigars or dry cigars coming in. Hydrometer next to the Coolidor showed 38% yesterday so I know things are working. 

if you dig a little on this forum there is a lot of info on setting up a Coolidor with beads and/Bovedas. Just use something that works both ways and know how to “charge” them if needed. 

as for the cooler, go as large and as square an interior as you can. Play some Tetris to get things squared away. 

one other point - humidity will settle over time. I have hydrometers at different levels on my Coolidor just to see. So far my every few week entry has kept no variation. I have heard of those who put RV fridge fans in coolers to ensure a consistent rh. I’m far from that spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikeltee said:

Thanks for your responses guys. I have seen the 20 packs on ebay but they arent exactly cheap. So how many are you stuffing in the 150qt? All 20? I guess $150 and possibly greater than 5 years isnt too bad especially considering they are stackable which humidors are not. I also didnt realize that they come from overseas wet but that makes sense considering they sit in a box for a month for some of us.

I have a 120qt Coleman and use 2 of the 320 gram packs. https://bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/320-gram/?sg=2. More economical than using the 60 gram packs and like all Boveda packs they can be recharged.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PabloJr said:

I need to get a few more storage bins. The two I have are already filled. Need that 80qt bin

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Walmart has the best pricing on the Weathershields. $50.99 shipped for 4

Coleman Extreme Marine! I use the 120 quart sizes because they are easier to manipulate than the monster 150. I can fit somewhere around 700-750 sticks (in their boxes) per cooler. I use Xikar crystal bars for humidity and they do a good job for me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dar24601 said:

I have a 120qt Coleman and use 2 of the 320 gram packs. https://bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/320-gram/?sg=2. More economical than using the 60 gram packs and like all Boveda packs they can be recharged.  

I also 2nd this! Boveda 320 Gram lasts longer than their 60g Packs as well ?!

• Like 1