Cooler options

On 11/11/2019 at 3:54 AM, Mikeltee said:

Thanks for your responses guys. I have seen the 20 packs on ebay but they arent exactly cheap. So how many are you stuffing in the 150qt? All 20? I guess $150 and possibly greater than 5 years isnt too bad especially considering they are stackable which humidors are not. I also didnt realize that they come from overseas wet but that makes sense considering they sit in a box for a month for some of us.

I'd use 5 or 6 at most.  If you're loading up those coolers with boxes from FOH they're already at a comfortable 65-67% rH (yeah, I've measured the arriving boxes many times out of curiosity for 'travel shock').  If you're installing dryer boxes or if you're opening and closing the lid in a desert environment every day then  you'll need more.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the newbie question but any need to "season" these, or do you just stick the bovedas in and they're ready to go? I'm thinking of getting one: my plastic boxes are only at 61/62% RH despite my using 65% bovedas, and these might hold the RH better.

Also, does the 90 day rest rule apply when moving the cigars from one container to another? 

1 hour ago, Shatner's Bassoon said:

Apologies for the newbie question but any need to "season" these, or do you just stick the bovedas in and they're ready to go? I'm thinking of getting one: my plastic boxes are only at 61/62% RH despite my using 65% bovedas, and these might hold the RH better.

Also, does the 90 day rest rule apply when moving the cigars from one container to another? 

If it smells like plastic then I scrub it out with some mild dish detergent and wipe it off well. Leave the lid open for a few hours to let it air out. After that, in go the boxes and boveda/beads and a few cedar sheets. That’s it- keep it simple (and quick).

No need to keep resting them if you move boxes around. Once they have 90 days in, they should be fine if you are just shuffling stock around. 

19 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

If it smells like plastic then I scrub it out with some mild dish detergent and wipe it off well. Leave the lid open for a few hours to let it air out. After that, in go the boxes and boveda/beads and a few cedar sheets. That’s it- keep it simple (and quick).

No need to keep resting them if you move boxes around. Once they have 90 days in, they should be fine if you are just shuffling stock around. 

Excellent, thanks. I assume that it's not a disaster running at 61/62 RH for a while, albeit it might not be ideal?

1 minute ago, Shatner's Bassoon said:

Excellent, thanks. I assume that it's not a disaster running at 61/62 RH for a while, albeit it might not be ideal?

61/62 is fine. I used to worry about it but I don’t anymore. Mine are usually between 62-64 and I barely check it anymore.  Don’t sweat it 

21 hours ago, Shatner's Bassoon said:

I didn’t “season” them at all but I did clean them of any scent by making a slurry of baking soda and distilled water. Paint the whole thing inside with a washcloth and let it dry and sit for a day or two overnight. Wash it out with more distilled water and it’s ready to go. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just checked my 150 qt cooler that I used all summer to store about 20 boxes. I used Boveda 320’s. I kept this unit in the closet of my summer home in Northern Michigan. The units Humidity and temp stayed in the mid 60’s. I closed this place up in Mid October and left the heat on 52’F. I visited the place over this weekend and found Temp and Humidity in the low 60’s! I did add 3 Xcar Fans before I left in October and as you would expect batteries were dead. Changed the batteries, Boveda 320’s were still soft and full and secured the cooler with 2 bungees to prevent and seal opening. I’ll report when I come back in May. I am extremely happy with this set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coolers are great if they are being stored in an area that temps are going to change frequently. That is a necessity for about .01% of us. Therefore I recommend an airtight tote. It's much cheaper and there is no wasted space for insulation that you dont need. They are also intended to be stacked. This thing is awesome. I put 1# heartfelt beads in there and its rock solid.

Remington 85qt weathertite tote:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/remington-weathertight-tote-87-qt

7 hours ago, Winoheel said:

Just checked my 150 qt cooler that I used all summer to store about 20 boxes. I used Boveda 320’s. I kept this unit in the closet of my summer home in Northern Michigan. The units Humidity and temp stayed in the mid 60’s. I closed this place up in Mid October and left the heat on 52’F. I visited the place over this weekend and found Temp and Humidity in the low 60’s! I did add 3 Xcar Fans before I left in October and as you would expect batteries were dead. Changed the batteries, Boveda 320’s were still soft and full and secured the cooler with 2 bungees to prevent and seal opening. I’ll report when I come back in May. I am extremely happy with this set upemoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine work extremely well.....except that they are now both full!!!

The insulation prevents the temp change of forced air heat/cool in West Texas heat/cold. Both stay 64-68 F even with heat coming on to warm the house. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Tstew75 said:

I split the difference...I have a big 150qt marine cooler for quick access stuff, and multiple 60qt Ziploc Weathershield containers for all long term sticks. Both have performed magnificently, I couldn’t be happier.

Don't overthink the humidification- a small handful of Bovedas in each hold at 65 for months. RE: cedar, just keep all your spent cedar box inserts & keep adding them to each container to help hold humidity.

1508C9FF-0CAB-42DD-851E-5F43D7A1BD10.jpeg

CD1F8D2F-EC1D-4FBC-AAF4-704E654DFA76.jpeg

this is VERY familiar, works well for me too...……...

• Thanks 1

I just purchased the Coleman 120 qt cooler shown above. I have some lockers at an offsite wine storage facility that I'm thinking of stashing the cooler in for long-term aging. That should help me keep my hands off the boxes and avoid opening and closing it too frequently. The temperature is a steady 56-58 degrees year-round so I figure with the cooler's insulation that should be ok. I've got a couple pounds of beads on order and I'll throw a wireless hygrometer in there to periodically check temperature and humidity. I don't have any options for storing the cooler in my house and the temperature range in my garage is too worrisome (from 30's in winter to 100's in summer). Sound like a reasonable plan?

10 minutes ago, Monocle said:

I just purchased the Coleman 120 qt cooler shown above. I have some lockers at an offsite wine storage facility that I'm thinking of stashing the cooler in for long-term aging. That should help me keep my hands off the boxes and avoid opening and closing it too frequently. The temperature is a steady 56-58 degrees year-round so I figure with the cooler's insulation that should be ok. I've got a couple pounds of beads on order and I'll throw a wireless hygrometer in there to periodically check temperature and humidity. I don't have any options for storing the cooler in my house and the temperature range in my garage is too worrisome (from 30's in winter to 100's in summer). Sound like a reasonable plan?

Yes. However you really only need one pound of beads, at most. And the hygrometer may or may not be that accurate. But if the temp is stable and the beads are in there slightly damp (don’t soak them) you really will be fine. I barely check my hygros anymore and I don’t worry about it.  Just trying to help you relax. It’s hard to do at first, but over time you realize the cigars will be fine. 

15 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

Yes. However you really only need one pound of beads, at most. And the hygrometer may or may not be that accurate. But if the temp is stable and the beads are in there slightly damp (don’t soak them) you really will be fine. I barely check my hygros anymore and I don’t worry about it.  Just trying to help you relax. It’s hard to do at first, but over time you realize the cigars will be fine. 

Thanks! I like this plan as hopefully I’ll keep my hands off them. I’ve got a Newair CC300 at home for boxes that are ready for primetime.