Which cheap and cheerful? Quintero Favoritos or JLP Conservas

mikinva

I can only get one more box (or 2) of cigars. My favorite cigars are Monte 4 and Vegueros Mananitas. I also have have of a box of Super Partagas, which are just OK. Most of my friends have never had a Cuban. I don't offer Montecristos at parties, due to cost ($5.64). I can get 2 boxes of Quintero Favoritos on sale for $105/50. If I wait for JLP Conservas ($61) to go on sale, they will probably be around $50/25. I have never had either Quintero or JLP. But in posts and videos, they seem to be the best cigars for the $, and the best for occasional smokers (like myself). Before offering advice on other cigars, I am cheap and the above prices are the best I can find online, and they are the same place I got the Montes, Vequeros and Partagas. Which would you get, the Quintero now or wait for the JLP?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've preferred the flavor of the Piedra much more than the Quintero, which I found to be too tannic, even on a few aged examples I've had.  Your mileage, of course, will vary.  Only way to find out is to buy one and then the other down the road when you're ready for another cheap & cheerful.

I ended up ordering JLP Brevas. They were $75 for 50 sticks. I hope they are half way decent. I sometimes give out cigars when our band is jamming at parties. My cut off is about $2.50 each, so it is usually 3x3 Davidoffs. My concern is, if the JLPs are no good, people will be turned off to Cubans. But Monte 4s ($5.54) and Vegueros Mananitas ($3.38) exceed my price limit.

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, VKUTT said:

Try the Quintero Tubulares sometime...one of the best cheapies around

I smoke a variety of Quinteros, but I did not have a chance to try a tubulares until today.

I was very pleasantly surprised.     They are very good.   Thanks for the recommendation.

I still haven't tried a Quintero. The JLP Brevas were very good. JLP Cazadores went on sale, so I got two boxes. They are very harsh, I'm hoping a one year rest will help them.

I find with JLP they won’t really develop into anything special over time but they need a couple of years down time to smooth the edges so you lose that harshness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Midas said:

I find with JLP they won’t really develop into anything special over time but they need a couple of years down time to smooth the edges so you lose that harshness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the JLP's can be a little harsh sometimes.  Never had one with more than 1 years of age though. 

The Quinteros I have tried were more enjoyable for the money. 

That said I still buy and smoke some JLP's

I had some Quinteros that I put in a separate humidor after hitting each one with a medium punch. Stuck a shot of Patron Citronage Orange Liquer next to them for a month or two and infused a citrus flavor in them. They all loved them. I give those out when I don't want to risk watching someone hang up a good cigar half way through. 

• 5 months later...

Another vote for Quinteros. I like the flavor a TON better than JLPs. I've tried and tried to like them but never could. I've had one out of a dozen that was ok. Most I just pitch and get something better. Quinteros sometimes there unfilled but have a sweetness to them that's actually pretty good.

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, Cairo said:

I smoke a variety of Quinteros, but I did not have a chance to try a tubulares until today.

I was very pleasantly surprised.     They are very good.   Thanks for the recommendation.

Would you mind sharing what your favorite QyH is? Never tried one but I’m leaning towards the LE or Nacionales but don’t know enough to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:05 AM, KnightsAnole said:

Would you mind sharing what your favorite QyH is?

The Favoritos are the best when they are on, but they have been hit and miss for me.

The Tubulares are the most consistent performers imho.

(That said--I have not tried either the LE or Nacionales.)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:05 PM, KnightsAnole said:

Would you mind sharing what your favorite QyH is? Never tried one but I’m leaning towards the LE or Nacionales but don’t know enough to pull the trigger.

In my experience the Nacionales is by far the best. I have boxes from 16 and 18 and both are good. No bad draws so far. Not tried the Tubulares tough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocoM said:

In my experience the Nacionales is by far the best. I have boxes from 16 and 18 and both are good. No bad draws so far. Not tried the Tubulares tough. 

Thanks for that. The Nacionals look a great size for me. The Londres Extras are just shy of that size and prices seem pretty much exactly the same. I think  all QyH are hand rolled short filler, so I suppose it’s a wrapper:filler ratio that would make a particular vitola shine with these. I look forward to them, don’t know why I’ve taken so long to try one.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, KnightsAnole said:

I always have several boxes of Brevas and LE on hand. LE being my fave. Need to try Tubulares as keep hearing good things

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I always have several boxes of Brevas and LE on hand. LE being my fave. Need to try Tubulares as keep hearing good things

Thanks, I’ve got some tubulares en route and LEs are next I think. I’ve found so many good C&Cs since covid and the price hikes left me searching in this class of cigars. It’s probably the only good thing I can say about covid. The economy forced me into this C&C market -and I couldn’t be happier about it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

came back to give an update on the Quintero tubulares with a mini review:

I’m new to Quintero but have been smoking Cuban cigars for 30 years. I’ve been through many, many boxes of RG panatelas, mainly for the price and great flavor when they’re not rolled too tight. Problem is, it’s a huge percentage that are rolled too tight. So Ive been looking for a cheap, short filler cigar and decided to give these Quintero tubulares a try.

This is some really good tobacco! Rott they were wet, so I de-tubed them all and put them in a desktop to settle down. I get a bit of a metallic taste when short filler cigars are too wet, both with nc or cc, and, at the halfway point,  I usually chuck em as they turn bitter.

Flash forward 4 weeks and they are coming out of the desktop nice now. I was debating getting these tubos (which are a petite corona ) or the londres extra, that have a thinner rg. I’ll be getting the thinner rg next time only because these get really mushy and hot towards the end.

Flavor has really surprised me with me these. They are sweet and unmistakably Cuban. I think I actually prefer the flavor of these over the rg panatelas. 

i was genuinely pleased with these cigars … And don’t let anyone tell you different: Cuba makes the best cigars for under $6 -bar none, not even close.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Try the Quintero Tubulares. :yes:

On 4/25/2022 at 3:45 AM, KnightsAnole said:

i was genuinely pleased with these cigars … And don’t let anyone tell you different: Cuba makes the best cigars for under $6 -bar none, not even close

Tubulares are totally unknown and I think are possibly the best Quintero. Priced much better than the Favoritos as well.