How long have you been smoking CCs?

I was first introduced to CCs around 12 years ago. Instantly fell in love, but due to accessibility and affordability, I was stuck with smoking mostly NCs. Wasn't until around 3 years ago that I switched to buying and smoking CCs exclusively.   

2006 was introduced to cigars, didn't dive in until Aug of 2011.......started buying more CC's in 2016, still not 100% cc's, but leaning that way more and more, just need to smoke out my NC stash. 

2013 first CC and first cigar ever a RyJ No.2 Tubo. I split a box with my best mate. I did not know how to properly humidfy cigars and they were bland and dry. Yet I saw potential and decided to push forward with the hobby. 

2013-2016 Smoked only NCs since I didn't have access to reasonably priced CCs here in Canada. Tried a bit of everything found 3-4 sticks I liked. 

2016- Present. Smoked the remaining NCs and phased over completely to CCs. The reddit cigar community r/cigars became toxic so I left and someone on the forum told me about FOH. So I joined and never looked back. Started buying 6 packs to see what I liked and now graduated to boxes. Still exploring but have a good idea of what I like and don't like. CCs are just that much better of an experience than NCs. Glad I found FOH! Now during the warmer months you will find me at some point in the weekend on my balcony having a CC and some port wine or a San Pellegrino Aranciata. Hoping for a quick winter! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VKUTT said:

My first cigar ever was a Hava-Tampa w a wooden tip, stolen from my dad. That was about 1988 when I was still a pup. I first got into cigars on my own around 2002, REALLY got into them around 2010, and had my first Cuban about 5 years ago. An RASS given to me by my uncle Phil Kohn, who does cigar reviews online. 

I have a pretty solid collection of NCs, but I absolutely CRAVE the taste of Cuban tobacco. The hardest part for me, being in the US, is waiting for the mail!

I LOVE Kohn's reviews. They tend to align closely with flavors and experiences I have, he adds in plenty of humor (which really resonates with me) and the life stories are just fascinating. Huge fan. That's so cool. 

I don't think I'd ever seen a Cuban cigar first hand until 2001, when a friend brought a bunch of coronas back from Europe with the bands removed.  He gave me what I assume was a Siglo ii, but who really knows.  I took a couple trips to Europe myself after that and picked up a single here and there, but I didn't realize there were ways to acquire CCs in the US until 2014, when an online buddy sent me a Partagas Corona Senior Tubo along with some other cigars as part of an exchange.  That little cigar (unassuming as it looked) marked the beginning of my descent down the rabbit hole... not because it was the most fantastic cigar I'd ever had, but because it led me to start inquiring about where I could purchase my own CCs and start collecting them.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 4:41 PM, SmokyFontaine said:

how long have you been smoking Cuban cigars? Anything you have come to know now that you wish you did when you started out?

Long enough to know Cubans can at times be magical. Long enough to know that that's not always the case. It's certainly a journey, an education - but there are never any guarantees.

For me, cigars - any cigars - should be an enjoyment, not a chore.

• Like 2

I started down my slippery slope with a Rocky Patel Anniversary something in 2005. Within a month or two I switched to 100% Cuban. I started with a a stick or two on the weekends. Bought a desk top humidor, bought a second, bought a cooler, bought a bigger cooler, ordered a big Aristocrat. I enjoy a cigar or more everyday that I can. 

11 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

1996 for me, as well. Not surprising, considering that we have such similar/concurrent memories/opinions, lol. We're from the same class! ?

I think of us as the unluckiest bunch having tasted the old ways only to have the rug pulled out in 2000. Hard to explain to many who started after 2000 how much different CCs could be then. 

Although I am thankful to have experienced what CCs had to offer then. I think we have a perspective that anyone not smoking that long can't have. 

• Like 2

Since July of this year. I wouldn’t even consider my self a serious CC smoker as I’ve only smoked a small amount while letting them rest more.  Still going through my NC’s while I build up stock and age of my recently discovered CC’s. 

Occasionally since 1985, but regularly since 2005.

I think the biggest lessen I have learned since joining FOH is that they are just cigars. The community that surrounds our hobby, the friendships made, and the combined experiences and wisdom shared is really what it is all about.

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think of us as the unluckiest bunch having tasted the old ways only to have the rug pulled out in 2000. Hard to explain to many who started after 2000 how much different CCs could be then. 

Although I am thankful to have experienced what CCs had to offer then. I think we have a perspective that anyone not smoking that long can't have. 

Agreed on all counts. I'm extremely grateful for my friend who mentored me in the hobby. He allowed me to smoke a lot of spectacular sticks, the equal of which i will never experience again.

There is one point where my journey is distinctly different from yours, though. I went through a period (~2007-2017) where i smoked very few cigars, and didn't keep a collection. In that time, i feel that my palate changed significantly. Getting back into smoking was weird for me. I was simultaneously a newbie, in respect to all the new strains, yet old and cantankerous about my memories of 'the old days', lol