Fake CC gifted....would you tell them?

So I was reading comments on the poll that was posted, on the percentage of fake CC sold in the US, and I started thinking of my own encounters. Non cigar smoking coworkers and close acquaintances tend to bring back CC from their Caribbean vacations for gifting. I appreciate their intentions. Not wanting to hurt their feelings, would you tell them they are fake? 

1 minute ago, pedro849 said:

So I was reading comments on the poll that was posted, on the percentage of fake CC sold in the US, and I started thinking of my own encounters. Non cigar smoking coworkers and close acquaintances tend to bring back CC from their Caribbean vacations for gifting. I appreciate their intentions. Not wanting to hurt their feelings, would you tell them they are fake? 

Tell them so they don't buy any again next time. But I'd thank them for it and tell them after I took it and "smoked" it. I'd say I smoked it and it tasted like a fake and virtually no Caribbean cigars are genuine Cubans. 

• Like 2

I had to tactfully thank a friend of a friend who gifted me a Guantanamero that I think she stored in a sock drawer for 8yrs. I wish it was a fake Cohiba. But the best I could muster was "oh, very cool. Ya, keeping things humid is important, but I'll give them some time in the humidor and enjoy!"

I didn't and I won't. Haha

• Like 1

I think this has to be weighed on a case by case basis.  Most of the time, yeah, I would thank them for thinking of me, but also tell them politely that they'd been duped... that way they would know what to look for/avoid in the future--I think this is what I would want somebody to do for me.  On the other hand, if it was somebody sensitive like my sweet little granny (RIP), I'd probably just let her continue to think it was a job well done.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RDB said:

Simply ask yourself: how would you feel if someone told you that your gift to them was a fake?

Probably a bit foolish, but I still think I'd want to know... then again, ignorance is only bliss when you're unaware of the fact that there's something to be ignorant about

• Like 1

I wouldn't say anything unless I thought they may go back and make the same mistake again.  If it is an annual trip or very frequent trip, I would try to find a way to tactfully tell them. 

• Like 2

I've seen this topic come up before on the forum. I think it depends. A close friend or family member whom I trust will not be offended with total honesty - sure, I'd tell them they were duped. I would want to know, as I am sure they would.

However, in any other instance, especially if it was a one-off, I would politely thank them and leave it at that. Unless it was to become a regular occurrence, then I would tactfully say something in order to save that person or persons the wasted money.

This brings up an idea - how hard would it be to implement FOH virtual gift cards that guests could purchase for members off the website? If they had the option to specify the purchase, then it could be done as a surprise to the member, or if not specified, could act like a gift balance that the member could purchase from.

• Like 1

I wouldnt tell them I knew it was a fake as I would be highly embarrassed if I was the gifter and it kind of comes off as being ungrateful. I would however, thank them for the gift, let them know how much I enjoyed the sticks, even though they hit the trash can, and tell them that unless it's from a legitimate shop, the chances of getting fakes are rather high and they got lucky this time.

• Like 2

Here's a good rule of thumb - does the person giving the gift smoke cigars themselves?

If NO: Don't say anything.  Let it go.  You'll only come off as ungrateful or pedantic.

If YES: Tell them, but probably at a later time.  Or better yet, educate them on fakes outside the context of their gift to you at a different time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I wouldn't say anything unless I thought they may go back and make the same mistake again.  If it is an annual trip or very frequent trip, I would try to find a way to tactfully tell them. 

^This.

• Like 1

I’ve been in this position. No, I did not tell him. I thanked him and offered a legit cigar in return for his gift. He did notice the difference which led to a discussion a few weeks later. He is now aware of the issues. 

I never did state that his was a fake. 

• Like 1

Of course but definitely graciously thank them for thinking of you.

Our mechanic brought me a few earlier in the year, and I shared with him signs and places to scrutinize. He welcomed the advice and alas his next trip brought back and gifted me the  Real McCoy ! Being upfront with people is the best practice as nobody wants to be duped...

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, stogieluver said:

Since most of us tend to be very appreciative when gifted a cigar it's likely it would be taken as a successful gift and they will get another for you next time. I think it has to be said, just tactfully and properly timed. 

• Like 1

ALWAYS TELL THEM.

Otherwise you are doing 2 very bad things:

• Contributing to the notion that Cuban cigars are unspecial (when they smoke their fakes and say "Cubans suck"...)
  • Contributing to the notion that people can buy genuine Cuban cigars somewhere other than a LCDH, which creates more scammers and robs LCDHs of $

What's the price you pay? You get to seem like a know-it-all, and burst the bubble of someone who thought THEY were the know-it-all by getting "Cuban" cigars at a steep discount?

ALWAYS

TELL

THEM

• Like 3