Recommended Posts

So with the new changes allowing offshore purchases with USD the CUC is dying.

https://www.14ymedio.com/nacional/CUC-existe-aeropuerto-Habana_0_2769922984.html?fbclid=IwAR2iOsiQ7m5wEMI5MQ7bAo7YhEapUR17g3OE_hf0TMpwoUqwKXqUH0Aoh_g

Change in exchange rates for sure, but more, you can't take CUC off the island (or on) but you can't change for USD as they have none to exchange.....

30 minute queue at the cambio booth Terminal 3 on Wednesday. Few hundred CUC to turn back. Solo $50 USD. Ah, only $50 bills, fine. 

No, only one $50 bill. Take the rest in CAD or Euros....

Wow!

Duty free store closed. Open shops only taking CAD, Euro, USD or CUP. Managed to get a couple of drinks and sandwiches with CUC so not a totally hard line yet.

Cuba being Cuba I guess but more Cuba than before!

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

So with the new changes allowing offshore purchases with USD the CUC is dying.

https://www.14ymedio.com/nacional/CUC-existe-aeropuerto-Habana_0_2769922984.html?fbclid=IwAR2iOsiQ7m5wEMI5MQ7bAo7YhEapUR17g3OE_hf0TMpwoUqwKXqUH0Aoh_g

Change in exchange rates for sure, but more, you can't take CUC off the island (or on) but you can't change for USD as they have none to exchange.....

30 minute queue at the cambio booth Terminal 3 on Wednesday. Few hundred CUC to turn back. Solo $50 USD. Ah, only $50 bills, fine. 

No, only one $50 bill. Take the rest in CAD or Euros....

Wow!

Duty free store closed. Open shops only taking CAD, Euro, USD or CUP. Managed to get a couple of drinks and sandwiches with CUC so not a totally hard line yet.

Cuba being Cuba I guess but more Cuba than before!

 

 

Mike

I am amazed that it has lasted this long!  

They have been trying to kill it for the last 7 years but have no idea how to do so. 

What are their options? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mtapia3 said:

When I was in Havana earlier this month all the cigar shops and most restaurants/bars were excepting USD. 

"accepting"

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Take USD as the exchange rate on the street is favorable now. Keep in mind if you depart with any CUC you'll likely only get CAD or Euros in trade.

Probably best to change a bit you plan to spend to CUC for where the USD isn't accepted.

Some cigar shops have accepted USD for some time now. Just at the official rate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are lucky they have good tobacco else the name Cuba would be non-existent in modern vocabulary. This is just outrageous. I assume no one will take a USD. Obviously they know what a PITA this is and it detracts from tourism. A gov that is so stubborn that they would do this is beyond my comprehension. To me this looks a lot like little man syndrome. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Jeanff said:

Are transactions on the island still done in CUC or have you seen other currencies used?

No official transactions in CUC but I was approached no less than 5 times to do an exchange for foreign currency to CUC. People are hoarding in droves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

No official transactions in CUC but I was approached no less than 5 times to do an exchange for foreign currency to CUC. People are hoarding in droves.

So is it worthwhile to even try and exchange in CUC at the airport? Or just deal only in foreign currency like CAD or USD or Euro?....If that's the case which currency do you recommend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

So is it worthwhile to even try and exchange in CUC at the airport? Or just deal only in foreign currency like CAD or USD or Euro?....If that's the case which currency do you recommend?

I just chatted with Jorge and asked the same question as I am flying down on Friday.  He said it isn't really an issue spending CUC on the island as it is the official currency.  But he mentioned a lot more places are accepting USD and Euro at the current exchange rate as a matter of convenience (for both parties involved)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

So is it worthwhile to even try and exchange in CUC at the airport? Or just deal only in foreign currency like CAD or USD or Euro?....If that's the case which currency do you recommend?

I usually don't change at the airport as a result of past changing scams. Easier to do at a hotel. I only brought CAD down with me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VKUTT said:

Wow, my cousin's wife, who is Cubana, will be stunned to hear that her country wouldnt even EXIST in "modern vocabulary" if it wasn't for cigars!

I didn't mean to say the country would not exist. It's like Trinidad and Tobago. The only time that name is brought up is in 3rd grade Geography class and then the once in a century bronze metal in bobsledding at the Olympics. The rum is over rated and the coffee is so bad that they dump a cup of sugar in each shot which is their official "Cuban Coffee". I am grateful for their sandwich, which is one of my favorites, but boy those cigars though......

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikeltee said:

I didn't mean to say the country would not exist. It's like Trinidad and Tobago. The only time that name is brought up is in 3rd grade Geography class and then the once in a century bronze metal in bobsledding at the Olympics. The rum is over rated and the coffee is so bad that they dump a cup of sugar in each shot which is their official "Cuban Coffee". I am grateful for their sandwich, which is one of my favorites, but boy those cigars though......

The sandwich is supposedly from Florida, isn't it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

And to return to the OP https://oncubanews.com/en/cuba/cuban-government-prohibits-import-of-convertible-pesos-cuc/?fbclid=IwAR2dK7nbMhgybHgUdooIRf8KKD4kfrZpZ1Z1tMxCXmNZCQID4ypYClJ23l4 

The exchange rates have essentially reversed for the man on the street.

Anyone heading down soon willing to pick up a box or two for me, I'll gladly recompense with expat CUC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just left as well, no CUC accepted but everything priced in CUC (or USD in some places) past security at the airport. And to think I gave up the last of my USD and tipped in € to be sure I had my “exit” money in order. 

Here’s the rub: The prices are in CUC but they will not accept CUC. They then accept USD and tack on the conversion and penalty costing an extra 13%....

Cuba. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just in Havana and I exchanged USD to CUC and then when I was leaving I was told to exchange my CUC as they are only accepting USD or anything other than CUC once past the security scanners, so I exchanged before the scanners at the exchange window and ask for USD and they would not exchange back to USD only other foreign currency. They are trying to hoard all USD as the dollar is very strong there for some reason. Then when I exchanged to Euro I tried to buy a drink and they couldn’t cash my EURO for my damn purchase SMH! PLUS the exchange rate USD to CUC is .967 at the airport.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The dollar is strong because the Cubans can now use it to buy goods at specialty stores for less than with CUC/CUP 

https://oncubanews.com/en/cuba/what-is-known-about-the-new-stores-in-foreign-currency-for-cubans/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.