San Cristobal La Cabaña

I sent my brother in law on a quest to find a box for me this past week. He was told the same thing at every LCDH in Havana: "Sold out as soon as they released". My guess is they were sold out to VIPs before they released. I never imagined there would be such a high demand for SCDLH. 

Handed these out at the Cena Bienvendios. Nice smoke.

Didn't see any at the shops though we didn't hit many.

Got the Upmann Propios in the pack as well. A ht for me!

Looking for a couple boxes to keep my complete collections of Cuba RE intact...

If they made as many boxes of these as the Islas or Marquez should be fairly easy to find near term.

• Like 1

They were not easily available on the island.  If you asked the right person or were friendly with a house roller they could be found.   I managed to source 6 boxes, including one I blindly walked into at the Vegueros factory in Pinar.  Asking for them usually drew responses ranging from flat out no, supposed to get some (pick a day), to sold out or not released yet.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

Bought 3 singles at El Comodoro from an open box. Gifted 2 of them. Bought 3 boxes from "the back". I thought it was a nice cigar. Waiting to see how they behave after a few weeks down to get used to their new home.

Thats what I thought as well.  “Nice cigar”.  But it tasted kind of, ROTTish to me, so I think it will be even better in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just smoked my first one yesterday, LGR JUL 19. SCDLH is such a tasty marca and this one does not disappoint. It will be very good. Has a bit of edge that I am sure will mellow out over time--how much time being the question...

• Like 1

I brought back one box from the island last week. I didn’t see any on the shelves but several LCDH managers offered them from “hidden stock.” Nice looking sticks.

Hoping Alex has some set aside when the Doctor visits later this month. 

• Like 1

If anyone is going down to Varadero on a trip, they had 2 boxes in the humidor at the shop on the resort Grand Memories Varadero 2 weeks ago. Not sure if anyone wants to spend the time or energy enough to go all the way out there, but if you are close, you can always swing in there and check. Not sure on the price though, as they had La Isla's as well, but marked up 35 CUC/ box more, so I imagine the SC's will most likely be the same.

17 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Hoping Alex has some set aside when the Doctor visits later this month. 

I didn’t get my box from his shop but I’m guessing he has some in the closest.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 8:05 AM, Hoepssa said:

I hope they are better than la Isla (Punch).

When I was there pre Covid, there were la Isla everywhere.  Tons of them had mold and I opened several boxes and the first half dozen were complete trash.  

take that for what you will.  Did find a box of La Cabana (at the airport, funny enough) they’re gorgeous but haven’t been able to bring myself to try one.  

22 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

When I was there pre Covid, there were la Isla everywhere.  Tons of them had mold and I opened several boxes and the first half dozen were complete trash.  

take that for what you will.  Did find a box of La Cabana (at the airport, funny enough) they’re gorgeous but haven’t been able to bring myself to try one.  

On 12/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, bates40 said:

The Isla to date have been flat out disappointing

On 6/7/2020 at 6:05 AM, Hoepssa said:

I hope they are better than la Isla (Punch).

I've had a completely different experience with the La Isla's. I smoked through a 10 count during my last trip and brought two more10 counts home. The ones we smoked on the island were good, but a bit flat. Light in profile across the board. We didn't think they would take/need much age. My dad and I each smoked one last weekend and they were spectacular. Almonds/Marzipan, it had wonderful sweetness from start to finish, a ton of "Twang" (I just can't describe it accurately). Construction was great on both cigars, I nubbed mine. I think they're ready now. I'll probably smoke the 8 remain cigars from this box over the next few months, and the next 10 count next year. I don't see them changing for the better from here. 

I was lucky enough to grab two boxes of the Cabanas on the same trip. I've only smoked, two, the last one on Christmas Day 2020, both have been very good, but still a little "bumpy" Im going to try another towards the end of this year, but I think they'll need some more time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I've had a completely different experience with the La Isla's. I smoked through a 10 count during my last trip and brought two more10 counts home. The ones we smoked on the island were good, but a bit flat. Light in profile across the board. We didn't think they would take/need much age. My dad and I each smoked one last weekend and they were spectacular. Almonds/Marzipan, it had wonderful sweetness from start to finish, a ton of "Twang" (I just can't describe it accurately). Construction was great on both cigars, I nubbed mine. I think they're ready now. I'll probably smoke the 8 remain cigars from this box over the next few months, and the next 10 count next year. I don't see them changing for the better from here. 

I was lucky enough to grab two boxes of the Cabanas on the same trip. I've only smoked, two, the last one on Christmas Day 2020, both have been very good, but still a little "bumpy" Im going to try another towards the end of this year, but I think they'll need some more time. 

Agree on the La Isla’s. Really enjoy them and bough a number of boxes. None that I looked at had any mold and since smoking them no construction issues. 

19 hours ago, LLC said:

Agree on the La Isla’s. Really enjoy them and bough a number of boxes. None that I looked at had any mold and since smoking them no construction issues. 

Right on.  Could’ve been the humidor at Melia Cohiba, who knows.  Wound up finding a few boxes that looked good.

They were for a friend though.  Haven’t actually smoked any.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, bates40 said:

The Isla to date have been flat out disappointing

I've had about 10 from various boxes and I wouldn't say they're disappointing but they're certainly not special. They taste pretty similar to both the Duke and the Preferidos to me. I would say they're about as good as a Punch 48. At Cuba price certainly worth the $12. 

As far as the La Cabana I've had several and they're good. Like a slightly richer and stronger La Fuerza. Very enjoyable but I would give the blend edge to the Prado.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1