Consensus on Freezing for Cigar Beetles

On 11/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, JohnS said:

It's true. @Luca has done likewise with certain cigars. Freezing them doesn't affect the taste.

Yep. Often they are good to smoke after they have thawed out. But it's still best to let them rest!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Viva Vegas said:

If I keep all my cigars at 64 to 65 degrees is there really a need to freeze any?

It's just a contingency plan for most of us. For me, they are in the temp. reg. but if the power goes down, APC backup goes down...well you get it. I don't think it's really necessary, but if you're like me and away from your collection for months at a time, can be a good idea.

The only skepticism I'd add to HSA's in country freezing process is that they're doing it in master cases, and it's a challenge to get the temperature right across all of that mass.  That said, I've only found a beetle and larva once in an Partagas tubo.  So the process works very well, just a tad short of perfect.

28 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

The only skepticism I'd add to HSA's in country freezing process is that they're doing it in master cases, and it's a challenge to get the temperature right across all of that mass.  That said, I've only found a beetle and larva once in an Partagas tubo.  So the process works very well, just a tad short of perfect.

Not a challenge to freeze in mastercases, if done in a large industrial walk in style freezer. Issue is I think they freeze at 14 degrees Farenheit which is not very cold and their power grid is antiquated. Not sure if true, but I was told there are frequent power outages on the island. Not good for freezing and refrigerating.