Leaving boxes open

I saw someone on here say that leaving the box open when aging ruins the barnyard smell.  Is this true? Also, will it hurt with aging at all?

Below is a picture of my walk-in humidor with some of the open boxes being those that I’d like to age.  It doesn’t get direct light (except when I turn on the lights).  Would anyone be worried about this?

BDD99415-3620-412B-AE36-AC5053199D36.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I saw someone on here say that leaving the box open when aging ruins the barnyard smell.  Is this true? Also, will it hurt with aging at all?

Below is a picture of my walk-in humidor with some of the open boxes being those that I’d like to age.  It doesn’t get direct light (except when I turn on the lights).  Would anyone be worried about this?

BDD99415-3620-412B-AE36-AC5053199D36.jpeg

Nice walk in ?? I leave closed but I’m no expert. 

Flavours won't mix or be influenced by others. Possibly if you store a load of NC flavoured cigars on contact with CC but not just in the vicinity.

There's a school of thought that sealing up boxes will help keep them more intense as cello/tubed/foil wrapped cigars seem to be generally quiet pungent even when aged decades.

If it's stock that you're going to smoke through in the next 6 months I don't think you have anything to worry about. Beyond that you're into the cigar myth territory and it's whatever you find works best for you

• Like 4

Awesome humidor. I believe that you are over thinking things regarding open or closed, but I am not an expert. Looks to me like you built a walk in to have a visually stunning display and you nailed it. That seems to be what makes you happy so I'd say keep em open. 

Dress boxes, SBN boxes and SLBs are a lot more porous than many people think. There's almost no difference between keeping them open or closed for long-term aging purposes. If you're trying to quickly acclimate VBNs or foil packaging I'd crack them open. For long-term again leave them sealed or closed.

For long-term aging (7 years+) I'd vacuum-seal anything other than VBNs, foil, tubos and some jars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Dress boxes, SBN boxes and SLBs are a lot more porous than many people think. There's almost no difference between keeping them open or closed for long-term aging purposes. If you're trying to quickly acclimate VBNs or foil packaging I'd crack them open. For long-term again leave them sealed or closed.

For long-term aging (7 years+) I'd vacuum-seal anything other than VBNs, foil, tubos and some jars.

Just curious - have you gone full blown double blind on this? Age half a box vac sealed 7 years/half a box exposed 7 years?

• Like 1

Just curious - have you gone full blown double blind on this? Age half a box vac sealed 7 years/half a box exposed 7 years?

As a matter of fact, yes. I have done this many times. I have placed half of a new box in a sealed baggie for aging, while smoking the rest. In every case, after finishing those cigars that were aged for several or more years without being sealed, then opening the baggie, those aged in the baggie were superior in terms of their physical integrity and even more so, in depth of flavor. No question whatsoever. Most recent example: Por Larranaga Robustos PCC. 

By the way, I learned of this method from discussions of Min Ron Nee. 

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, yes. I have done this many times. I have placed half of a new box in a sealed baggie for aging, while smoking the rest. In every case, after finishing those cigars that were aged for several or more years without being sealed, then opening the baggie, those aged in the baggie were superior in terms of their physical integrity and even more so, in depth of flavor. No question whatsoever. Most recent example: Por Larranaga Robustos PCC. 
By the way, I learned of this method from discussions of Min Ron Nee. 

Is it just because you are now smoking the sealed baggie cigars with more age on them? Or did you save several samples of the open ones and try back to back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like wrapping them in parchment paper for the long haul.  I usually take a picture of the cigars before wrapping up for reference.  Paper takes up less room than using zip lock bags.  I have a couple of boxes vacuum sealed and just stored in my cellar.  Seemed ok with the humidity year round so thought I'd give a go.

Logic suggests that the less O2 exchange the slower the aging process. If you are in that thing once a month it's not going to matter unless you have fresh air ventilation. If I had that setup, I'd live in there. If you are going for more than 5 years I'd keep them shut. If you were going for more than 10 years I'd vacuum seal the box. If they would be smoked within 6 I'd keep them open. That's one beautiful setup you have there brother!