Leaving boxes open

4 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Just curious - have you gone full blown double blind on this? Age half a box vac sealed 7 years/half a box exposed 7 years?

No. Just operating on the theory that less ambient air is ideal for long-term aging. The only packaging that really limits ambient air is varnished BN boxes, tubos, foil and some jars. Dress boxes and SLBs are ineffective at limiting ambient air. One may as well just leave them open. Vacuum seal is the only remedy.

3 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

What is lucite?

Lucite is one of the trade names for polymethyl methacrylate (aka acrylic, acrylic glass, plexiglass etc).  Other trade names are Perspex, Acrylite, Plexiglas.

Just now, Fuzz said:

Lucite is one of the trade names for polymethyl methacrylate (aka acrylic, acrylic glass, plexiglass etc).  Other trade names are Perspex, Acrylite, Plexiglas.

So basically putting your boxes in hermetically sealed plastic containers?

1 minute ago, Habana Mike said:

So basically putting your boxes in hermetically sealed plastic containers?

Yep. Completely sealed, injected with an inert gas, protected from the ravages of time... or your greedy little fingers.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Yep. Completely sealed, injected with an inert gas, protected from the ravages of time... or your greedy little fingers.

Has anyone experimented with this? I'm gonna start vacuum sealing some of my boxes in the next year, but this seems a little over the top.

I guess it is the same concept as how people preserve bottles of wine, spirits, etc. long term. I am looking into that as well