Email a LCDH in Havana

UnionCityCubano

12 hours ago, UnionCityCubano said:

By chance does anyone have a good email address for LCDH's in Havana? I have an uncle traveling to the US from Havana pretty soon and wanted to contact a LCDH to inquire about stock if they even answer, in advance to see what he can bring me. Thank you

Lol the stock changes on a daily basis. Even if they had a working email address, I can guarantee you they wouldn't answer you with how often the stock changes there. To be honest, this is one of the fun things about Havana. I love going on the hunt. Make a list for your tio is your best bet. You might get some surprises! Buena suerte amigo

Yea I have all the numbers of the LCDH so I will just call the day of. Problem is transport is a issue with fuel shortages. So rather then him going around town looking and spending lots of money for no reason figure I try email but it’s all good. I sent him a list last night. Hoping I can get a few nice things. 

1 hour ago, UnionCityCubano said:

Yea I have all the numbers of the LCDH so I will just call the day of. Problem is transport is a issue with fuel shortages. So rather then him going around town looking and spending lots of money for no reason figure I try email but it’s all good. I sent him a list last night. Hoping I can get a few nice things. 

They always have a fuel shortage...it's Cuba

1 hour ago, UnionCityCubano said:

I wouldn't rely on the LCDH workers to provide accurate information regarding their stock. I've been told ademently that a certain cigar was not in stock. Come to find for myself they have plenty in the humidor. I've also been told that they had a certain cigar in stock, and then magically they are nowhere to be found in the store. There's also been those times when I ask a cigar question and they simply shrug their shoulders and walk away. Mind you, I am always polite and I speak spanish.

You have to remember, these are state workers, and unless you are a VIP customer, they will not be enthusiastic about helping you.

I would follow the advice of giving your Tio a list of what you're looking for. A long list, and a back up list to that list. Finding cigars in Cuba isn't as easy as one would think and if I were to pick only one store to go to it would be the Habana Libre LCDH. Based on my experiences, they consistently have the best selection with some of the harder to find stuff sprinkled in. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mtapia3 said:

I wouldn't rely on the LCDH workers to provide accurate information regarding their stock. I've been told ademently that a certain cigar was not in stock. Come to find for myself they have plenty in the humidor. I've also been told that they had a certain cigar in stock, and then magically they are nowhere to be found in the store. There's also been those times when I ask a cigar question and they simply shrug their shoulders and walk away. Mind you, I am always polite and I speak spanish.

You have to remember, these are state workers, and unless you are a VIP customer, they will not be enthusiastic about helping you.

I would follow the advice of giving your Tio a list of what you're looking for. A long list, and a back up list to that list. Finding cigars in Cuba isn't as easy as one would think and if I were to pick only one store to go to it would be the Habana Libre LCDH. Based on my experiences, they consistently have the best selection with some of the harder to find stuff sprinkled in. 

Thank you!!!!

This may seem a bit of work but could be worth it.

If your uncle has a smart phone, download the Maps.me app on it. Then zoom into Cuba and download the Cuba map.

A very useful thing to have in Cuba anyway. It works offline, on the phone's GPS.

Then, look up the addresses of the shops you are interested in and put pins on the maps.me app on your uncle's phone for those shops.

Then your uncle, in Cuba, armed with this can get a taxi driver for a couple of hours and have him wait while he visits shops, then pay the driver at the end. Your uncle can show the locations of the shops on the maps.me app.

Some locations, it's hard to get a taxi from, Club Habana for example. So it's better to have a taxi wait. 

A yellow cab in Cuba for 3 hours should be about 50 cuc or less.

If your uncle finds a lada driver doing taxi runs, that would be about 30 cucs for 3 hours. 

Keeping one driver for a few hours provides peace of mind that nothing will be lost in a random taxi. Plus it will save time and money.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This may seem a bit of work but could be worth it.

If your uncle has a smart phone, download the Maps.me app on it. Then zoom into Cuba and download the Cuba map.

A very useful thing to have in Cuba anyway. It works offline, on the phone's GPS.

Then, look up the addresses of the shops you are interested in and put pins on the maps.me app on your uncle's phone for those shops.

Then your uncle, in Cuba, armed with this can get a taxi driver for a couple of hours and have him wait while he visits shops, then pay the driver at the end. Your uncle can show the locations of the shops on the maps.me app.

Some locations, it's hard to get a taxi from, Club Habana for example. So it's better to have a taxi wait. 

A yellow cab in Cuba for 3 hours should be about 50 cuc or less.

If your uncle finds a lada driver doing taxi runs, that would be about 30 cucs for 3 hours. 

Keeping one driver for a few hours provides peace of mind that nothing will be lost in a random taxi. Plus it will save time and money.

He won’t need maps he lives in Havana and has lived there for 70+ years. I will send him extra money to rent a taxi and get what I want like that. Thanks for advice. 

4 hours ago, UnionCityCubano said:

He won’t need maps he lives in Havana and has lived there for 70+ years. I will send him extra money to rent a taxi and get what I want like that. Thanks for advice. 

I must have missed that bit! 

Great so, even better. He'll be able to find a driver, if he needs one, at a much lower cost.

If he's bringing them to the US, it would be handy if he gets the full factura receipt from the shop when buying cigars. For that he will need either his passport details or probably his carnet.

• Like 1