Minimum aging for recent Partagas Serie D No. 5?


Recommended Posts

Hello FOH -

I recently decided to try a Partagas D5 from a 24:24 purchase in October.  I don't recall the box code, but I'm guessing it is from 2019 production.  In any event, the cigar was very sharp and harsh with none of the rich flavors I would associate with Partagas.  How long do these sticks need to age before they begin to shine?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mwaller said:

Hello FOH -

I recently decided to try a Partagas D5 from a 24:24 purchase in October.  I don't recall the box code, but I'm guessing it is from 2019 production.  In any event, the cigar was very sharp and harsh with none of the rich flavors I would associate with Partagas.  How long do these sticks need to age before they begin to shine?

Thanks!

I've never smoked a D. 5 that I've enjoyed or that I thought would improve with any amount of age. Sharp, harsh and acrid are the best descriptors in my mind. Maybe, just maybe a good decades nap would help, but I'm of the opinion that the blend is far too strong or that this vitola is regularly rolled with raw materials that haven't been properly fermented to begin with. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I've never smoked a D. 5 that I've enjoyed or that I thought would improve with any amount of age. Sharp, harsh and acrid are the best descriptors in my mind. Maybe, just maybe a good decades nap would help, but I'm of the opinion that the blend is far too strong or that this vitola is regularly rolled with raw materials that haven't been properly fermented to begin with. 

Now that is surprising to hear... Do you have better luck with the D 4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corylax18 said:

I've never smoked a D. 5 that I've enjoyed or that I thought would improve with any amount of age. Sharp, harsh and acrid are the best descriptors in my mind. Maybe, just maybe a good decades nap would help, but I'm of the opinion that the blend is far too strong or that this vitola is regularly rolled with raw materials that haven't been properly fermented to begin with. 

i agree whole-heartedly, i only smoked 1, and it will likely be the only one i ever smoke. was straight pepper and harsh.. not enjoyable at all and was a few years old for sure, just not a flavor profile that's for me, but to each their own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Now that is surprising to hear... Do you have better luck with the D 4?

Yes. I don't smoke a ton of D. 4, but the worst D. 4 I can remember was better than any D. 5 I can remember. 

3 minutes ago, lovethehaze said:

i agree whole-heartedly, i only smoked 1, and it will likely be the only one i ever smoke. was straight pepper and harsh.. not enjoyable at all and was a few years old for sure, just not a flavor profile that's for me, but to each their 

They handed everybody a D 5 as we walked into the Partagas festival opening dinner in 2016 I believe. It was easily my worst Cuban cigar experience and in the top 3 worst smoking experiences I've ever had. 

It was the strongest, spiciest, most astringent cigar I've ever smoked, with no redeeming characteristics. I smoked about 1/4" of it and my palate was fried for an entire day. Not just for cigars. I couldn't taste anything, food and booze included. I know people have different tastes, but this is one cigar that I have a hard time believing anyone could enjoy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Now that is surprising to hear... Do you have better luck with the D 4?

d4 is money i have multiple  boxes of d4's.... the only one I didn't enjoy was about 2 weeks after I bought my first box and tried to smoke before they acclimated, I would say even this as strong as it was was head and shoulders above a few year old d5. The d4's after resting 90 days are as good as any cigar I smoke to my pallet on a regular basis given their fairly cheap price compared to some that are much more to smoke all the time for my budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe lighter wrappers are key for a Partagas to be enjoyed young.  I've only had one D5, but it was right up there with Lusi and Shorts in it's paprika, sourdough goodness.  

I personally believe that Petit Robusto are fickle.  My box of RyJ PC are like Jekyll and Hyde from cigar to cigar.  Not a ton of room for error I suppose?  I'm not an expert though, so perhaps someone else can support my theory with actual evidence.  

Bottom line - I've had one that I loved, so let them rest a bit more, dry box for a week or more, then give it a shot again!

Best of luck. If not, I'll trade ya for em!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

D5 is one of my favorite cigars, I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad one, but I always let a box rest for at least 3 months if I buy it online. But there’s always the risk that it doesn’t work with your palette like it is for me with Monte C. If I had to chose between quit smoking or just smoke Monte 4 I would stop smoking with out even blinking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TTP21 said:

I believe lighter wrappers are key for a Partagas to be enjoyed young.  I've only had one D5, but it was right up there with Lusi and Shorts in it's paprika, sourdough goodness.  

I personally believe that Petit Robusto are fickle.  My box of RyJ PC are like Jekyll and Hyde from cigar to cigar.  Not a ton of room for error I suppose?  I'm not an expert though, so perhaps someone else can support my theory with actual evidence.  

Bottom line - I've had one that I loved, so let them rest a bit more, dry box for a week or more, then give it a shot again!

Best of luck. If not, I'll trade ya for em!

Cool. I'll let them stew for a while longer...

I do have some D5 tubos from 2014 that have been good, not great. The wrappers are pretty shabby looking.  The spice is definitely still there, though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

I've never smoked a D. 5 that I've enjoyed or that I thought would improve with any amount of age. Sharp, harsh and acrid are the best descriptors in my mind. Maybe, just maybe a good decades nap would help, but I'm of the opinion that the blend is far too strong or that this vitola is regularly rolled with raw materials that haven't been properly fermented to begin with. 

I have loads of D5's from Rob; most with 3-5 years of rest on them.  However my first D5, from a mini box of 5 was sharp and harsh as you described.  It was a ROTT-into-the-suitcase-and-off-to-Saigon situation.  So no rest for that first weary soldier.  I don't know if it was travel shock, the jump in heat and humidity in Vietnam, or it just needed rest but it was a smoke that smacked me in the face and took a flame thrower to my palate; in any event I forgot about the rest of that box until about 6 months later when I tried one again and what a lovely revelation!  Fantastic savory smoke and very approachable.  If there's any consistent flaw left it's that they tend to underfilling 1 out of 10, but that wasn't bad enough to stop me loading up on more.  Because of the size of my stash, they all tend to have a few years on them and so I've not had a bad one since and would highly recommend them if you can stand the larger gauge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.