Cigar Aficionado Top 25 - 2019

4 hours ago, juri said:

oliva V Lancero (witch I told rob to try) Maintain it’s 94 along with llusione Epernay D'Aosta....... again this comes down to consistency!

Which is why no matter how much I love CC's I find myself reaching for Illusione often. I wish the D'Aosta was more readily available...by which I mean, any available. I had one when they first came out, let it rest for 2 months, smoked it, enjoyed it, went for more...all gone EVERYWHERE. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My feeling about Cigar Aficionado, has always been that it is a great magazine that is providing us a very valuable service. The longer they can con people into thinking NCs are as good as, or be

I believe that Cubans should be compared separately, it is a different world, another dimension. Separately, the rating of NC, CC separately.

It's a repeat of the same discussion, accusations, and conspiracy theories every year.  I'm just happy that there is a reasonably successful magazine supporting our hobby. The more cigar smokers

I respect CA as they rate on consistency through several repeated tastings throughout the year. I’ve smoked many fine Habanos in my  20+ years of smoking however if I smoked all of those they listed over the year I’d probably be surprised as well as to which remained a constant. That coupled with the fact I’m blind tasting with a group consensus would probably yield similar results. It’s hard to judge as I know no other group anywhere that smokes as much or as consistent as CA. I have my own opinions however I couldn’t complete with the amount, scrutiny and efforts they put in. It’s subjective for sure but they put the work in beyond what I’ve ever seen and that alone garners my respect.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:43 PM, Skypilot said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2 lists are measuring different things. CA is a taste test I guess, where as the FOH list is looking at the quality of construction etc.

I thought the CA scoring takes into account the quality and construction in all their blind tastings including the Top 25. In their scorings throughout the the year quality AND construction are part of their scoring. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

However, does the latter not directly influence the former? 

4 hours ago, Carrie Nation said:

I thought the CA scoring takes into account the quality and construction in all their blind tastings including the Top 25. In their scorings throughout the the year quality AND construction are part of their scoring. 

Both points are correct. I just feel that since the FOH list is based on quality only it doesn’t mean much to say Coro was #24 on the FOH list and #4 on the CA list.

065CE325-48DF-4C9F-81CA-B199C8261214.thumb.png.64f32ecc1a2cdea2b96dd82d59111f32.png

The reason CCs aren't on the list is because they consistenly rate them lower than the NCs. It's all score driven for the year and as others have mentioned it's only what they smoked that year. 

CA never rates CCs high anymore. A 94 point CC is a monster score and I see all sorts of NCs bringing in 95-96 points. These are scores they used to hand out to CCs in the late 90s. 

CA's ratings are a joke for coming up on 20 years and everyone knows it. At least they still do some good journalism from time to time which I appreciate. 

On 12/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, Monterey said:

Because it can't happen. Read cigar surgeon's post above for how CA goes about their ways.  No cigar in the top 25 for 2018 was re reviewed in 2019, therefore, none of the cigars could repeat them selves on the list.  Next year, none of these cigars from 2019 will be reviewed and therefore won't be on the 2020 list.

It really isn't a list of the best 25 cigars of 2019.  It is the best 25 cigars than they already reviewed in 2019 list.  If it was a true top 25, they cigar testers would have to smoke thousands of cigars!

Many people point to the CA list as the litmus (test or standard) for how a list should be done. The obvious gaps I see are:

• You're entirely dependant on the choices of a buyer, who may or may not have their own biases.
  • You're entirely dependant on what the retailer has for inventory, or decides to carry. Their biases absolutely affect the range of cigars that are available.
  • Manufacturers and brand owners will try and game the system by sending samples to the buyer or trying to find out where they're shopping.

There is no perfect system. I personally like the Developing Palates system because we have a diverse set of palates on the panel. We don't use the 100 point system. We aren't generally swayed by marketing, branding, or fan boy bullshit (see past years where consensus cigars have completely missed our lists). But our lists are far from perfect.

I wish I could add a thing at the end of the review year / cycle where all the cigars that are contenders for top 25 are resmoked and then reranked. But I just don't have time for that.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, Min said:

Perhaps NCs have stepped up their game.  Cubans have gotten milder in taste while NCs have gotten more bold.  I think bold cigars in general rate higher for the past 15 years or so. 

Shouldn't affect absolute numerical scores. If NCs had surpassed CCs you'd see CCs getting 94-96 like they consistently did in the 1990s and NCs getting 97-99s. I think it's obvious they dog CCs. Why not. Most CA readers are American and can't get CCs as readily as NCs. The money's in NCs. CCs have the market. NCs are a growing market. CA knows who butters their bread. 

I don't follow CA closely enough to know their general preferences for strength but I would agree CCs are milder since 2000 in general. I don't know that NCs are stronger overall but I have no doubt that the strongest NC is much stronger than the strongest CC. That white pepper blast that can be found in some NCs is no joke. 

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The money's in NCs

Some may believe "competitions" or "lists" like these are rigged. May not be direct bribery but there may just be some other form of benefits that they may get.

Similar to the whisk(e)y industry, many conspiracy theorists believe that the recent number of awards to the non-Scottish (Taiwan/Kavalan, Aussies/Starward, Israel/Milk and Honey) are particularly aimed at easing the demand (and hence, price) of Scotch as almost all of them are struggling to meet recent demand.

On 12/21/2019 at 12:22 AM, TheLiquidGator said:

I view it more of a gentleman's magazine. It is a very slick, well done publication. Some of the stories and interviews are a good read. The cigar reviews are just plan silly.

Agree. There have been some brilliant articles and interviews back in its beginnings. I remember some great, truly inquiring interviews by Shanken & Co. Great stuff with a wealth of information even from inside the Cuban industry. Also, excellent journalism with some sound historical and fact investigation work done by JS back then (just recently linked to one of them - some gems still to be found online). Today - it is still sound, sometimes even good I'd say, but not coming close to the former depth of information and insight anymore. More (dare I say 'shallow'?) entertainment now, often with a touch of uninspired routine.

The ratings? - well, that's just a fun exercise at best or editorial advertising at worst. One has to take it as that. Either way, nothing to do with me. I don't care. The board's palates and format preferences obviously don't swing in tune with mine (for whatever reason....;)). So what? But it seems, year in year out "The List" is good for creating some attention. If it makes for paying their bills then good for them. It's a business in the first place. As others said, in knowing that, taking it with a grain of salt helps.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leapingknown said:

Is Smoke magazine still being published?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

it appears they are no longer publishing. Lockwood publishing is the parent company. the link to smokemag listed on their site is broken. links to their other magazines are also broken or way old.

There are far too many cigars being rolled to come up with a system that gives an honest evaluation.  There used to be some written dialogue about the current hot sellers in the B&Ms that was considered.  Otherwise, CA is about lifestyle choices and availability for those who like to smoke good cigars ie what they do with free time and how and where they spend their money other than cigars.

Based on the story below it would appear any perceived bias against Cuban cigars might be more related to a lack consistency being a huge part of the ratings the Top 25 and the fact that Cubans make up such a small amount of the cigars rated. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/special-report-2019-year-in-review

If you’re looking for a 90 pointer, you’re more likely to find it from Cuba than any other country. Out of the 19 Cuban cigars we rated this year, 12 of them (63.2 percent) scored 90 points or higher, a larger percentage of 90s than any other cigar-producing country.

42 minutes ago, gcman68 said:

Based on the story below it would appear any perceived bias against Cuban cigars might be more related to a lack consistency being a huge part of the ratings the Top 25 and the fact that Cubans make up such a small amount of the cigars rated. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/special-report-2019-year-in-review

If you’re looking for a 90 pointer, you’re more likely to find it from Cuba than any other country. Out of the 19 Cuban cigars we rated this year, 12 of them (63.2 percent) scored 90 points or higher, a larger percentage of 90s than any other cigar-producing country.

I hate to drag this on...but the numbers don’t add up for me. If you want a great cigar, your best bet is a Cuban but they only make up 12% of the top 25?  That said, like many I’m just happy to have anything that promotes our “hobby.”