What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?

What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I stared this poll in the Chicago Habanos Society Club but thought we would get a more meaningful, statistically relevant response here.

Let's also rank our top 3.

So for me:

Jordan

Oprah

Capone

BUT, if we are talking non-Americans then it's:

Capone

Jordan

(clearly the top two)

then...

Oprah?

I'm not sure?

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ABE FROHMAN, THE SAUSAGE KING OF CHICAGO!

Malort.

Corrupt

2 minutes ago, mbflash80 said:

I always thought it was called the windy city because way back new yorkers referred to chicago politicians as always yelling and being full of wind? Am I way off on that one?

That's the correct origin of "Windy City" = Bullshit slingers. But Chicago is also very windy (weather-wise) and this phrase has been largely adapted to fit that narrative.

I always thought it was called the windy city because way back new yorkers referred to chicago politicians as always yelling and being full of wind? Am I way off on that one?

No, you’re right, but most other people are wrong. “Got a lot of wind there in Ill-uh-NOISE?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the correct origin of "Windy City" = Bullshit slingers. But Chicago is also very windy (weather-wise) and this phrase has been largely adapted to fit that narrative.

No it’s not. This is a myth: Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); Central Park, New York City: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h).

2 minutes ago, PaulPower said:

No it’s not. This is a myth: Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); Central Park, New York City: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h).

But that's just science ?, I am going on 36 years living here and the winter winds are BRUTAL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovethehaze said:

I also hear a lot about how unsafe it is or must be from people not from here... lots of murders... 

Forgot that I'll add it!

Since I'm from Chicago, I'll give you my list instead of the touristy choices:

3. The Lakefront parks and beaches

2. Great Food

1. The greatest football team ever that hasn't won a super bowl in 34 years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Since I'm from Chicago, I'll give you my list instead of the touristy choices:

3. The Lakefront parks and beaches

2. Great Food

1. The greatest football team ever that hasn't won a super bowl in 34 years

Great food is definitely up there. Agreed 150%

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

Corrupt

I purposefully left this off as it would have quickly spiraled out of control into a Chicago political discussion from which I am certain to have been banned from FoH! (and probably others going on vacation with me)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Based on my travels outside Chicago, people mention the most to me:

1. Murders/violence 

2.  Deep dish 

3.  Jordan, although his mentions are going down over the years. Windy/cold could be three also. 

• Like 1