What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?

What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Buck14 said:

Only worse pizza on the planet is New York style pizza!

Gimme Neopolitan style pizza anyday or thin crust or ultra thin crust. 

Just curious if you stroll the downtown streets of Chicago with or without an armed bodyguard? 

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ABE FROHMAN, THE SAUSAGE KING OF CHICAGO!

Malort.

Corrupt

Just curious if you stroll the downtown streets of Chicago with or without an armed bodyguard? 

I love my home town but it does suffer from two related problems: violence and racial segregation. For a northern city, Chicago has very strictly racially defined neighborhoods. If you are in a black and poor neighborhood, mostly in the south and west, it’s not very safe. But if you’re in a white neighborhood in the north, it’s exceedingly safe. It’s really sad that my city has ignored their minority communities and exacerbated the cycle of violence and poverty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Isn't Chicago the theater capital of the United States?

Chicago has a world class theatre district but I would certainly say New York City is more famous and generally considered the top of the (Western) theatre world along with perhaps London. But this is NOT an area of expertise for me. 

12 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Yep. You’ve been.

Craft cocktails, great food scene. Cool neighborhoods. Nobody talks about those. 

Good people too.

It is pretty damned cold and windy in the winter.

Super cool food scene. Some of the best people I've met were in lounges in Chicago and Houston. Wish I could visit every day.

• Like 2

Back when I worked corporate jobs 01-08 I traveled pretty extensively and saw nearly every major US city (sans NYC for whatever reason)...this was back when investment and insurance companies would wine and dine the living hell out of their distribution partners...so my experience is dated but FWIW Chicago was always one of my favorite cities to visit...great hotels, great restaurants, great sporting venues...but the one thing that stuck out to me in Chicago was the beautiful women...that always took me by surprise...I always put Boston, SF, Chicago, and Miami as my favorites...although now living outside SF I can no longer say that since it will more than likely be the epicenter of the apocalypse in time. 

• Like 2

I lived my life in eastern Iowa so Chicago feted my favorite pro teams.  I attended many Bulls games prior to Michael Jordan.  Bulls had Bob Love and Chet Walker at forward, Norm Van Leer and Jerry Sloan were guards and slow azz Tom Boerwinkle in center.  The Bulls would've been NBA champs then for want of a decent center?  And how many years did the Cubs break my heart until it finally turned into stone?  Magnificent Mile is a must see if you have a fat wallet and it used to be Rush at night.

9 hours ago, Buck14 said:

Only worse pizza on the planet is New York style pizza!

Gimme Neopolitan style pizza anyday or thin crust or ultra thin crust. 

Your honor, I rest my case.

My first thought, major USA food and beverage company headquarters, along with advertising agencies that work with them.  

My wife is a food photographer, so she heavily markets to Chicago.  

I know this is nerdy, but when I think of Chicago I also think of Chicago University. Some great scientists studied there, including Carl Sagan & Enrico Fermi. And there is the Yerkes Observatory. Edwin Hubble did his graduate work at Yerkes. Chandrasekhar also did research there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

They say, “I’d rather visit Milwaukee!”.

"They" could only be from that side of the cheddar curtain ?

Your post reminds me - on our first visit to Maui, we decided to drive the road to Hana.  For those who haven't, its a 25 or so mile long drive of twists and turns through a jungle with single lane "wait your turn" bridges.  The drive takes nearly 4 hours if you don't stop to look at waterfalls - and you've got to do the whole drive again to get back to your hotel.  There are T-shirts on the island that read "I survived the road to Hana".  We were so relieved to finally make it out of the jungle to the town of Hana, with straighter roads to visit the beautiful beaches on the south end of Maui when it happened...we saw a house with a Packers mail box in all of its green and yellow ugliness.  That sight drew WTF!s and laughter from us for the rest of our day - you guys are everywhere.  Good thing we are too! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love my home town but it does suffer from two related problems: violence and racial segregation. For a northern city, Chicago has very strictly racially defined neighborhoods. If you are in a black and poor neighborhood, mostly in the south and west, it’s not very safe. But if you’re in a white neighborhood in the north, it’s exceedingly safe. It’s really sad that my city has ignored their minority communities and exacerbated the cycle of violence and poverty.

I lived there for a couple of years and the racial segregation was the first thing that amazed me about the city. I live in the “Dixie South” now and I can say I have never seen a place as segregated as the south side of Chicago. I lived on Addison close to the water but worked just off of S Michigan and exited the redline on Sox/35th on the Southside. There were quite a few people I worked with that lived in Carnayville and Bridgeport areas and visiting them was like being in a separate city from where I lived in Lakeview. I was literally told “do not go past *** street, that’s where the Mexicans live, don’t go past ***** street, that’s the black’s neighborhood. The dividing lines were very real. Just sad for people to feel so boxed into a specific place.

But the food, OMG, one of the first things I tell people about being there was that I never had a bad meal the whole time I lived there. All the food is just amazing. A hearty steak, caramel corn, hot dog, pizza, Thai, Italian, Harolds Chicken, Maxwell St polish. EVERYTHING!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I know this is nerdy, but when I think of Chicago I also think of Chicago University. Some great scientists studied there, including Carl Sagan & Enrico Fermi. And there is the Yerkes Observatory. Edwin Hubble did his graduate work at Yerkes. Chandrasekhar also did research there.

Don't forget the famous grave robber, Henry Jones Jr.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Diggamus said:

I lived there for a couple of years and the racial segregation was the first thing that amazed me about the city. I live in the “Dixie South” now and I can say I have never seen a place as segregated as the south side of Chicago. I lived on Addison close to the water but worked just off of S Michigan and exited the redline on Sox/35th on the Southside. There were quite a few people I worked with that lived in Carnayville and Bridgeport areas and visiting them was like being in a separate city from where I lived in Lakeview. I was literally told “do not go past *** street, that’s where the Mexicans live, don’t go past ***** street, that’s the black’s neighborhood. The dividing lines were very real. Just sad for people to feel so boxed into a specific place.

But the food, OMG, one of the first things I tell people about being there was that I never had a bad meal the whole time I lived there. All the food is just amazing. A hearty steak, caramel corn, hot dog, pizza, Thai, Italian, Harolds Chicken, Maxwell St polish. EVERYTHING!

Yep, good point.  Chicago is statistically the most segregated big city in the U.S. (or at least it was when I was growing up).

Having been a teenager in the 80s, the first thing that comes to mind is John Hughs.  IMHO, he should be on the list.

Other people that come to mind:

Ray Zalinski - The King of Auto Parts

Richard Kimble, MD - Vascular Surgeon

Abe Frohman - Sausage King of Chicago

Jake and Elwood Blues

And in honor of the upcoming Christmas holiday, I’ll throw in Kevin McCallister.

What can I say, I’m a movie guy.

But having lived in Chicago, I said cold/windy.  I love that city, but those winters were the worst.

• Like 1

our local news, (Hamilton Ontario) just did a report on Chicago today.

apparently there were like 35 shootings today, including 12 or something at one event.

A mid sized town in Ontario Canada reporting about massive numbers of shootings in Chicago.

They might not be in the "top 10" or whatever, but they sure are selling themselves as being the murder capital of the USA

Obviously there are problems there like many cities but I’ve been to other cities where I have not felt safe. The four or five times I’ve been to Chicago I have never felt unsafe. Sure I stick to the main areas as most tourists do, but it is a great city with lots to offer for visitors.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

Having been a teenager in the 80s, the first thing that comes to mind is John Hughs.  IMHO, he should be on the list.

Other people that come to mind:

Ray Zalinski - The King of Auto Parts

Richard Kimble, MD - Vascular Surgeon

Abe Frohman - Sausage King of Chicago

Jake and Elwood Blues

And in honor of the upcoming Christmas holiday, I’ll throw in Kevin McCallister.

What can I say, I’m a movie guy.

But having lived in Chicago, I said cold/windy.  I love that city, but those winters were the worst.

Richard Kimble, MD cost me a fortune in the stock market. 

On 12/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, mbflash80 said:

...but the one thing that stuck out to me in Chicago was the beautiful women...that always took me by surprise...

You are 100% right. I live in Miami, travel nonstop to most major cities, including Chicago. If I was a single guy looking for a beautiful (and nice) girl, I would 100% move to Chicago. Like fishing in a barrel. 

• Haha 1