What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?

What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ABE FROHMAN, THE SAUSAGE KING OF CHICAGO!

Malort.

Corrupt

9 minutes ago, Deeg said:

An interesting refutation of the "Chiraq" perception:

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/chicago-shooting-incidents-down-sharply-75775045795

Also agree w this. I live in a bit of a bubble in Chicago, spending most of my time in the Loop working and staying in River North / Gold Coast but I find it to be one of the most pleasant major cities I can think of. I’ve never felt the least bit unsafe there. 

Today, easily the city I feel the most unsafe is San Francisco, and I lived there for five years. Entirely the result of the homelessness issue there. 

I grew up in Chicago and lived in SF for almost a decade.  Chicago is really about where you are at any given time - it's very segregated in every sense of the word.  Homelessness is a huge issue in SF and there were definitely areas there where I felt unsafe (Tenderloin, Western Addition et al) but things are a bit more all mixed together there.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, canadianbeaver said:

Chicago is my favorite city in the USA. The Architecture and Jazz music. Are my favorite things, next up is food. Last, cigar lounge with Richard at Iwan Ries.

As the product of a Midwest music school I agree there's great jazz to be found in Chicago.  A Mecca really.  Second only to NYC IMO.  

Still cold as shit.  I grew up in Boston and it was nearly tropical compared to Chicago when that cold air blows in off the lake.  

Food?  Almost all American cities have it going on if you're in the know.  Just haven't found traditionally Chicago grub all that remarkable.  But I can't say I know the ins-and-outs.         

It has lots of hospital dramas based in it? ER? Chicago Hope? ... An elevated rail line/metro?

3 hours ago, juri said:

jesus "Murders / Shootings" is number one? i assume most of those people are not from US.....unless you are talking about the old time mob stuff its pretty average on big city crime rate

Most are from the US. If you ever watch the national news on a daily basis, you will see Chicago has extraordinary high shootings/murder rate. In a city with supposedly the strictest gun laws in the land. What a joke. Goes to show you how much criminals obey the law!

15776566738166221124823961718587.jpg

15776566978241854663975038715761.jpg

15776567443545853646833694757803.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, juri said:

jesus "Murders / Shootings" is number one? i assume most of those people are not from US.....unless you are talking about the old time mob stuff its pretty average on big city crime rate

See my post above.

Yes, there is a reason it is known as the murders / shootings capital of USA. (whether accurate or not)

Reason I asked when you hear someone  foreign talk about america they say it’s dangerous because so many shootings, and that would be a general stereotype the whole country shares 
I'm American. From small towns/ rural areas my entire life. If I had to stereotype, I'd say all cities are bad and likely to be a death trap. Chicago would be at the top of my list. They have more shootings in a day than places I've lived have in a decade or more... it's all relative and I'm sure it's over exaggerated, but that's what I know and how I feel about it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 12/22/2019 at 12:41 AM, IanMcLean68 said:

I know this is nerdy, but when I think of Chicago I also think of Chicago University. Some great scientists studied there, including Carl Sagan & Enrico Fermi. And there is the Yerkes Observatory. Edwin Hubble did his graduate work at Yerkes. Chandrasekhar also did research there.

IIRC most of the mathematic/physics/theoretical work on the Manhattan Project was done at Chicago University.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 8:32 AM, Deeg said:

As a native I just have to correct here - it's "The University of Chicago". :lol:

Proper name I’m sure but in Chicago they call it Chicago University, It’s Chicago ;)

On 12/29/2019 at 10:29 AM, juri said:

These types of articles are fairly common in the US:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43kg59/chicago-had-so-many-shootings-this-weekend-that-an-er-had-to-shut-its-doors

Granted, Chicago crime stories typically cite absolute numbers, which are high, rather than per capita, and it’s “shootings”, not murders. It’s actually rare to die from being shot with a handgun caliber.

Realistically, violent crime is at a historical low in the US. You would have to go back to the 1950s, or the 1910s, to get this low. People that talk about how much more dangerous it is now compared to 20, 30, or 40 years ago were uninformed about what was going on around them back then.

As others have said, the income and racial segregation by neighborhood is a huge problem. However, as someone lucky enough to live on the northside and work off Michigan in the Loop, I have never felt unsafe in Chicago including walking home several blocks from the bar at 5am (Our bars close at 5 on weekends).

For tourists the city is very safe and has an amazing food / cocktail scene as well as architecture, but bleachers at Wrigley will always be my favorite.