Montecristo Esp. #2 OSU JUN 01 (XNYRC)

Hmm I really need skinnies for sure, Rey! Skinnies definitely have more than intensity than thicker RG, which is the reason why I enjoy both thin and thick CCs!

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

I had my issues with 99 and 00 cigars...still had good cigars from that era but mostly stuck with petit Coronas and Coronas. I was disappointed mostly by the change in one of my favorites, the boli rc, after 97. it seemed like quality picked up big time in 01. I still have an upmann super corona from 01 I’m hoarding. That box was excellent. 

i have a box of monte especiale no 1 MAR 02 that have a similar flavor profile to what you described in your no.2. Absolutely outstanding. Still have 2/3 of the box left. Beautiful aged monte glory but I know not to smoke one on a humid day.

• Like 2

Nice piggy. I think thicker rg allows for more adventerous blending, but i keep gravitating towards under 50rg. Mostly 42. I give them all a whirl so i dont think it is coincidence. Maybe it is just the sheer power of flavor that narrow stix provide, maybe its simply palate bias. Cheers sir.

• Like 1

So many plugged cigars I got during that period.  The worse was those H2000 wrapper cigars.  Flame retardant.   I remember trying all the cigars in a box of VRDA's with that wrapper.  25 duds. 

Glad you got a good box, I was no so fortunate back then.

Nice review Ray! Sounds like a solid smoke.

Happy New Year buddy!

• Like 1

Have no fear... I never win anything! -LOL

What was I supposed to be winning anyway? The guy least likely to win anything??? -LOL -OR, the most irritating guy on the forum? That, I would likely win.

Cheers! -R

2 hours ago, Monterey said:

So many plugged cigars I got during that period.  The worse was those H2000 wrapper cigars.  Flame retardant.   I remember trying all the cigars in a box of VRDA's with that wrapper.  25 duds. 

Glad you got a good box, I was no so fortunate back then.

Absolutely. H2000 was terrible. I remember being excited to finally get a RAG. Really dark wrapper. When I got around to smoke it I noticed how thick and rough the wrapper was. Looked like football skin. Draw was good but very little flavor and went out numerous times. Damn near 20 years ago but still remember it. One of the more disappointing cigars I smoked.

27 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Have no fear... I never win anything! -LOL

What was I supposed to be winning anyway? The guy least likely to win anything??? -LOL -OR, the most irritating guy on the forum? That, I would likely win.

Cheers! -R

You can stack them on top of your Cohiba DC's to gather dust. haha!

20191212_113829.jpg.50e221c6244358ab7da2b6812cbcdc71.thumb.jpg.0b09e8eff6306caf12cf08fce1c5d1e1.jpg

• Like 2

I've noticed that when I store them dry, no bouquet. But intense flavors. 

However when I dry box too long, flavors fade.  

Hmmm.... I guess the only way I will ever try cigars like that is if I win them. So this isn't the typical 'lucky draw thing?' Perhaps I should go back to reading the fine print...!

You guys want to see flame retardant wrappers, I will put out a box of RyJ Els from that period. These Montes have nice wrappers, if that matters much. What I have with asbestos wrappers are all Els. I don't have any flame retardant regular production smokes that I can recall.

Now come to think of it. The only bad cigars I remember from early part of the millennium were EL cigars. Yes, I still have them taking  up space in my humidor... and like a bad dream I cannot forget them... I did give up on Piramides and Belicosos from that era. The regular production figurados were pretty bad as I recall. I really like the BBF back then. I could not get a good box of those to save my life, so I simply stopped buying them until 2006 when I thought they made a comeback.

Maybe I should try and win with a Monte C EL... I know Ken would vote for it...! -LOL

-R

It's both a draw and popularity contest Ray.

So far you look like you're right up there with the most likes on your post!

Could win both!

Thanks Ray, nicely pictured. With you on all accounts. You had to be selective, but gems to be had during that period, most of which are still going strong today. And in particular some great production came from OSU (Partagás) during that time, 2000 through 2003 (for different brands).

Me - I consider skinnies as the single-cask versions of cigars. Why intrusively blend what means diluting your best barrels?! Risk and reward of the slender cigar!