Help me with my next purchase...

Hey all.  New to the forum but not new to cigars!  I've been smoking for about 10 years, but mostly non Cubans.  I got into Cubans last summer, and so far I've had a box of RA Specially Selected, a box of Partagas SD#4, and a 10 cigar sampler.   Oh, and I currently have some Vegueros Tapados in my humidor.  I LOVED the RASS, but my box had a lot of construction issues.  Maybe half the box smoked great, but the other half were plugged and/or burned really poorly. 

Anyway, I'm thinking about my next purchase, which will probably be a box, and probably be a robusto.  I've been trying to decide between the RyJ Short Churchill and the HdM Epicure No. 2, but I don't really know what else I should be considering.  I'm looking for a well balanced cigar with a decent strength.  It doesn't have to be crazy strong, but I don't like ULTRA mild sticks.  I also don't really care too much about nicotine.

I tend to like sticks with Colorado/Rosado wrappers and I love bready, biscuity, coffee, and chocolate flavors. I don't mind a little cedar, but I don't like ultra woody or grassy cigars. 

So, FoH, what do you think I should get next? I'm excited to try another box of Cubans!

• Like 1

Adam,

Welcome to FOH. Please head over to the introduction section and give us a proper intro when you get a chance. Also, please do not mention any vendors in the forum.

If you are just getting into Cubans you may do yourself and your wallet some justice by purchasing some samplers and singles of various brands and sizes to get a feel of what you like best. Tastes and preferences will change over time. There are a lot of resources and information here to help you gain some insight into the world of Cubans. Just be patient.

Here are a few links to check out.

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/106496-the-foh-eight-commandments/

https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/12-friends-of-habanos-discussion-forum-rules/

• Like 2

Let me be the first to welcome you to our forum, perhaps not by the time I finish writing....

I don't smoke many new cigars so I am not really the best person to give you advice. I might add however that Cuban cigars are not non-Cuban cigars. Meaning, look outside of the NC norms for choices. My best advice is not to carry NC biases and prejudices along and apply them to CC choices.

Our host is a vendor and he may not approve of vendors being written about in threads. I am not a moderator here so take that for what it is worth. 

Enjoy the ride, welcome to the dark side, read, write and become a part of the family!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 2

Guest Nekhyludov
49 minutes ago, adamrobertt said:

I tend to like sticks with Colorado/Rosado wrappers and I love bready, biscuity, coffee, and chocolate flavors. I don't mind a little cedar, but I don't like ultra woody or grassy cigars. 

Sounds like you need to give the H Upmann Connie 1 a try.

Go to the online store and purchase singles.  Get an idea of the various brands and how different vitolas can change the experience among them.  Store quality is great so no need to worry.  Keep notes on the cigars you try and use that info when influencing your next box purchase.

28 minutes ago, Cubadust said:

When ever I hear about a box with major problems I have to ask, what’s your humidity level?

And welcome!

I keep my humidor at 65% with a 320 gram Boveda pack.  I use a Sistema locking tupperware container with a cedar tray.  I would love to upgrade to one of those mini-fridge type humidors someday though. :D

Adam,

welcome to FOH. This is a great forum with a lot of BOTL/SOTL that have tremendous experiences with CC and sound advice. I will agree with the other advice not to bring over the Non-Cuban ideas to the CC arena. My recommendations would be the Quai D’Orsay 50, Vegas Romaina Famosa, Monte #2, Bolivar Royal Corona.

Enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

I got into Cubans just a little over a year ago.  I purchased 2 boxes and split them with a friend.   Then I purchased a sampler.   While I don't regret purchasing the sampler I would rather purchase 1/4 boxes on the 24:24.   They are not marked up that much compared to singles.   Also if you buy singles and you get a dud you are SOL.  If you get a quarter box you can try a couple and smoke them over a period and see how they change.

• Like 2

This is great site for beginners. Buy sixers of things that interest you..if they blow you away those (cigars) bare the boxes you want. Never judge a CC by the first cigar. 5 or six over time are perfect. I wouldnt dare suggest to understand someone else's palate, so unfortunately it is your own journey, i cant tell you what you may enjoy.

For newercigars, I found the HDM Epi Especial to be a really nice surprise. Lots of flavor with the Cuban twang.  Welcome and enjoy the journey.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BeerPimp said:

I would rather purchase 1/4 boxes on the 24:24.   They are not marked up that much compared to singles.   Also if you buy singles and you get a dud you are SOL.  If you get a quarter box you can try a couple and smoke them over a period and see how they change.

this is great advice, this with patience will yield dividends. so many times a single cigar is not indicative of what that cigar can deliver. i would add that 90 days rest at correct conditions really transforms and levels the experience.

it took a while to learn the patience required. i smoked (and continue to smoke) nc's to bide my time when waiting for cc's to acclimatize.

-dobbs

6 hours ago, dobbs said:

this is great advice, this with patience will yield dividends. so many times a single cigar is not indicative of what that cigar can deliver. i would add that 90 days rest at correct conditions really transforms and levels the experience.

it took a while to learn the patience required. i smoked (and continue to smoke) nc's to bide my time when waiting for cc's to acclimatize.

-dobbs

Yes I try to let all my cigars rest at least 90 days.   It is tough when you first start but I think it is worth it.  If you followed the blind tasting threads you will see how several people got duds for their blind tasting cigar.   My Monte #2 like others was way off of what any Monte #2 I have every smoked.  I haven't smoked tons of Monte #2's but all have been fairly similar until that one.  I smoked one of mine a couple days later just to remind myself how good they can be.

Great advice on the 1/4 boxes. That's the perfect amount of price and storage commitment required to get a baseline experience per cigar.

The robusto is probably the most common introductory size that people start with, as you have with your RASS and D4.

The Epi 2 would be my suggestion over the RyJ SC. It's more universally pleasing imo than any from the RyJ Churchill lineup.

I would give the Trinidad Vigia a try and also Upmann based on what you say you prefer. Woody and grassy is Cohiba and Bolivar to me.

I really liked the line-up in El Presidente’s “New to Cuban” sampler. I’m sure there’s some variation from the original offering, but it’s a solid base.