Rise of Skywalker review - *spoiler alert*

JoeyBones777

Let me preface this with the fact that I was not a big fan of 7 or 8. I think Disney has done a terrible job with the Skywalker saga. That said I was still excited to see how they wrap this up.

First off the movie is quite fast paced...probably the fastest paced Star Wars film in existence. It is clear they are trying to fit a lot in. This movie makes a strong attempt to right the wrongs of the past 2 films such as having Han Solo go out like a chump, Luke going from mature Jedi in Return of the Jedi to a fearful immature chump in The Last Jedi, Ray's ridiculous force abilities from the start with no training...as well as Finn's force connection and the fact that, apparently, only women can be fully competent in these movies...odd.

They decided to play on nostalgia by bringing back numerous characters in some fashion, either by force ghost, force voice, memory projection or physical presence. Palpatine's return, although poorly explained how he is not dead, was appropriate given he is probably the strongest with the force of any character in past movies and is THE villain in all the other movies. They finally did Kylo Ren justice in this movie. He is ruthless, powerful and competent while still struggling with his purpose.

They did force abilities justice in this movie by not doing anything outlandish, like surviving the vacuum of space and flying back into a spaceship, but they heightened some of the classic abilities. Special effects were great, Laia didn't look weird or out of place.

Kind of dumb that it takes 2 men to do Laia's job but makes sense since they've made Po and Finn fairly incompetent in the other 2 movies and Laia is the wisest person in the galaxy. Ray was great and lives up to her force abilities now with some training.

The overall theme of Star Wars is preserved, good defeats evil, those whom devote themselves to evil come to a fitting end...even if they turn back to good, never give up even in the face of the seemingly impossible and don't let your lineage or your past define you but rather let its lessons make you better.

I thought this movie was as well done as it could be given its setup from the first 2 debacles though it does spit in the face of its prequels and rightfully so...they were terrible. It is very entertaining, nostalgic and gives decent closure with most but not all questions answered.

1 hour ago, FrancisK7 said:

However the cracks and seams fall apart upon a second watching and all the plot holes and "WHY????" start resonating in your skull. 

Unfortunately,  plot holes seem to be a Star Wars staple and the obvious seems to be overlooked. I tend to expect that.