H Upmann Connossieur A opinions

I have seen reviews from fantastic to absolutely terrible regarding this cigar. Before spending premium money for a box purchase, need honest opinions on this cigar. I am a big fan of the Upmann PC and the Upmann #2. Cheers!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@NYgarman, if you like H.Upmann Petit Corona and No.2, these cigars, like the Magnum 46 (and the other Magnums) tend to emphasise the espresso coffee part of their blends when young. On the other hand

You need to smoke them for yourself.  There is no other way..no shortcuts Some will describe a Siglo VI as bland. Some hate the 54. Some believe the Talisman are as good as vegueros. I know one w

Hmm if you've shelled out for no 2's before, the price point isn't too dissimilar in some places.  I think the A's are solid, generous flavour, good construction, age well.......just hate the siz

I have smoked 5 of these over the last 2 months from a 2015 AUM box.  Great construction and burn.  But I find them to be very mild and without much flavor.  They are not bad, but I feel like there are better alternatives for the money.  Unlikely that I will buy another box anytime soon.  I really wanted to like them, which is why I have smoked 5.  The best thing I can say is that they seem to leave the least amount of after taste in my mouth.

30 minutes ago, T.52 said:

I have smoked 5 of these over the last 2 months from a 2015 AUM box.  Great construction and burn.  But I find them to be very mild and without much flavor.  They are not bad, but I feel like there are better alternatives for the money.  Unlikely that I will buy another box anytime soon.  I really wanted to like them, which is why I have smoked 5.  The best thing I can say is that they seem to leave the least amount of after taste in my mouth.

This is my concern and there are others who have described them as bland. For 300 a box, they should have flavor. My Upmann 2s are anything but bland. LUB14s.

For those who say go with Connie B, they are even more coin and harder to find than hens teeth.

Very limited sample sizes, but to echo some thoughts above I've had 92+ experiences with 2018 stock and 89+ with 2016 stock.  I've greatly enjoyed all, not getting a single dud, but I feel as though a younger box might be a better bet.  

Haven't had your 2 mentioned, but I'm a huge fan of Mag 46 and HUHC and I sense the same core flavors, but just amped up to a higher degree and much smoother.  

If all else fails, you'll have plenty of potential trade partners on here!

2 minutes ago, PuffDaddie said:

One of the best cigars coming out of Cuba. Go for it.:cigar:

Flavorful or Bland??!! I've heard both. I'm not a fan of bland, light bodied cigars. Those sit in the humidor and collect dust.

7 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

This is my concern and there are others who have described them as bland. For 300 a box, they should have flavor. My Upmann 2s are anything but bland. LUB14s.

For those who say go with Connie B, they are even more coin and harder to find than hens teeth.

Maybe it is just my box, but IMO definitely most bland cigar I have had in a while.  In the same time 2 month period I've smoked CoRo, RyJ Churchill, RASS, D4s, PLPCs, Monte 4 and few others.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, T.52 said:

Maybe it is just my box, but IMO definitely most bland cigar I have had in a while.  In the same time 2 month period I've smoked CoRo, RyJ Churchill, RASS, D4s, PLPCs, Monte 4 and few others.

I have seen a review video and another written review that substantiates your claim. Don't get me wrong some enjoy very mild cigars, I certainly don't. Upmann is not really associated with being "mild" or "light bodied " 

I wouldn’t consider the Connie A mild. I find them flavorful and with some complexity. Just under medium in strength. But as you can see there are a few different opinions here, all of which can be respected. Your best bet is to get a few singles out the store and try them over some months. No sense grabbing a box of something you may not smoke. I can say it does not finish as full as the No.2 which can be a monster young. YMMV. The host even put up some 1/4 boxes of PSP a while back so there are options.

• Like 1

The connie A is one of the biggest flavor powerhouse smokes I've had to date. If someone has had a bad experience, then they have a bad box. Every cigar from every marca has good and bad examples. Find someone with a good box and do a trade for a few singles. Buy psp from rob, and dont over think it too much...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fitzy said:

I think it’s ridiculously over rated. Bland, boring and too big. I find the Connie 1 to be a far superior cigar at almost half the price. (I was getting boxes for about $165)

Bingo.  A PSP Connie 1 wins over a Connie A any day.  Hey, that rhymes!

• Like 2

I've never had a good connie 1. I've tried several from box passes and trades. Never once anything with any flavor... I guess it just proves it's a crap shoot on getting quality with anything you buy.

• JohnS changed the title to H Upmann Connossieur A opinions
1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

Flavorful or Bland??!! I've heard both. I'm not a fan of bland, light bodied cigars. Those sit in the humidor and collect dust.

From everything you've said, I think buying a young PSP box of 46 and smoking them young would float your boat. 

I enjoy aged cigars, but some cigars have 'vibrancy' as El Pres would put it.   Rock and Roll cigars.......I think and oily 46 is what you are looking for, either that or a JL1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

@NYgarman, if you like H.Upmann Petit Corona and No.2, these cigars, like the Magnum 46 (and the other Magnums) tend to emphasise the espresso coffee part of their blends when young. On the other hand, the H.Upmann Connossieur A and Connoisseur No.1 tend to emphasise that distinctive H.Upmann shortbread part of their blends when young. For me, herein lies the main difference from my experience. This is why I don't usually smoke H.Upmann young, because I prefer the softer 'shortbread' quality of these cigars. However, I definitely would make exceptions for a young Connossieur A and Connoisseur No.1.

Beat me to the punch..........errr or the Upmann!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 99call said:

Beat me to the punch..........errr or the Upmann!

The distinctive shortbread notes of the Upmann PC is what made me fall in love with them. Damn HSA!

13 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

distinctive shortbread notes

to me, this runs through the whole Upmann line,   I think it's all just down to hit and miss with quality. 

Connie-A's are renowned for 'best buy blind' quality.   I think you will get what you're looking for with A's......but you will probably enjoy the 46's more..... do not expect sweetness though.    if you want sweetness you have to go Connie 1, or Sir Winnie.

1 hour ago, prodigy said:

The connie A is one of the biggest flavor powerhouse smokes I've had to date. If someone has had a bad experience, then they have a bad box. Every cigar from every marca has good and bad examples. Find someone with a good box and do a trade for a few singles. Buy psp from rob, and dont over think it too much...

I'd love to send you a Connie A (or trade you) from my 2015 box to see what you think.  PM me if you're interested.

1 hour ago, CampDelta369 said:

I wouldn’t consider the Connie A mild.

Recent production has seemed quite a bit milder than in recent years to me. Enough for me to be holding off lately. But they're still quite good.