H Upmann Connossieur A opinions

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@NYgarman, if you like H.Upmann Petit Corona and No.2, these cigars, like the Magnum 46 (and the other Magnums) tend to emphasise the espresso coffee part of their blends when young. On the other hand

You need to smoke them for yourself.  There is no other way..no shortcuts Some will describe a Siglo VI as bland. Some hate the 54. Some believe the Talisman are as good as vegueros. I know one w

Hmm if you've shelled out for no 2's before, the price point isn't too dissimilar in some places.  I think the A's are solid, generous flavour, good construction, age well.......just hate the siz

I've gone through a dozen boxed or more of these and rarely had a disappointing experience.

Best in the size.

A top smoke in my rotation, time to order some more!

• Like 4

Absolutely love the Connie A. It's more in the medium rather than mild category for me. A lot of depth without being hit over the head. 

I like the B too, but that's a completely different cigar. 

• Like 1

Interesting array of responses, it seems like half the room finds them bland, and the other half thinks they’re flavor powerhouses. I’m in the second half.

• Like 3

I’ve never had one, but I always thought the Connie A was one of those infallible regular production cigars because I had not seen bad thoughts on it before this thread.

I enjoy its little brother - the Connie No. 1 - it is one of those you-know-what-you-are-getting smokes.

14 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Interesting array of responses, it seems like half the room finds them bland, and the other half thinks they’re flavor powerhouses. I’m in the second half.

If you think the "A" is a flavor bomb, how would you rate it compared to a Upmann #2? Flavor wise?

If you are that critical about it, it surely is moot to push the debate forward to this detail. You obviously won't get the clearcut answer you are looking for. And even if so, you might still end up disappointed. Best get some (singles), perhaps different year/codes, and see for yourself. As you can take from the responses - and I get you are an experienced CC-smoker - this is a personal matter. I think it is more of that than that the responses reflect true variability in production. For this is a cigar - from what I have seen and smoked - that has all been on the consistent side. But I have only smoked Upmann-production ConA (can't speak for that "bland" AUM code, never seen on any Connie A). So, if you want to be on the safer side, my best bet would be look for Upmann codes.

To say the Connie A were "bland" is bordering to blasphemy.

I suggest start a poll, and I bet you'll be getting a result that is far from 50/50 for bland/boring - flavourful.

• Like 3

I’m slightly surprised by the mixed reception to the Connie A. Most of the shared opinion before has been very positive. Personally I love the Connie A, I find them to be pretty consistent and great flavour. I’m not overly enamoured by the size but I can get over that. It’s interesting that their pricing was considered rather high upon their initial release, but with the price of other new releases creeping up they seem rather reasonable now. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

If you think the "A" is a flavor bomb, how would you rate it compared to a Upmann #2? Flavor wise?

I absolutely love the HU 2 for it’s deep, rich earthiness and leather, sprinkled with HU spices, and subtle sweetness. I’ve found the A to be on the sweeter side, contrary to what a few have said here. There’s a balanced mixture of cedar, coffee, cinnamon, some caramel, and baking spices. To me, the A approaches the Sir Winston profile, but isn’t as smooth and refined.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Fugu said:

If you are that critical about it, it surely is moot to push the debate forward to this detail. You obviously won't get the clearcut answer you are looking for. And even if so, you might still end up disappointed. Best get some (singles), perhaps different year/codes, and see for yourself. As you can take from the responses - and I get you are an experienced CC-smoker - this is a personal matter. I think it is more of that than that the responses reflect true variability in production. For this is a cigar - from what I have seen and smoked - that has all been on the consistent side. But I have only smoked Upmann-production ConA (can't speak for that "bland" AUM code, never seen on any Connie A). So, if you want to be on the safer side, my best bet would be look for Upmann codes.

To say the Connie A were "bland" is bordering to blasphemy.

I suggest start a poll, and I bet you'll be getting a result that is far from 50/50 for bland/boring - flavourful.

I have a couple of boxes of AUM 15 RASS, and they have been as good as any I have had. But obviously RASS is a different animal.

25 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

I have a couple of boxes of AUM 15 RASS, and they have been as good as any I have had. But obviously RASS is a different animal.

Addendum: As you say you are fond of the PC, I really think, and pricing aside, you won't be (too) disappointed of the ConA. Give them a fair try - and you'll still be able to flip the part box in case not. But if you are looking for a truly med-full to full-body Upmann, then I'd say better reach for Mag46 or the Noellas, with the latter being the fullest and strongest in today's H. Upmann line-up in my book. Both even cheaper than the ConA to boot.

27 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

I absolutely love the HU 2 for it’s deep, rich earthiness and leather, sprinkled with HU spices, and subtle sweetness. I’ve found the A to be on the sweeter side, contrary to what a few have said here. There’s a balanced mixture of cedar, coffee, cinnamon, some caramel, and baking spices. To me, the A approaches the Sir Winston profile, but isn’t as smooth and refined.

This almost exactly reflects my take on those two.

12 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Addendum: As you say you are fond of the PC, I really think, and pricing aside, you won't be (too) disappointed of the ConA. Give them a fair try - and you'll still be able to flip the part box in case not. But if you are looking for a truly med-full to full-body Upmann, then I'd say better reach for Mag46 or the Noellas, with the latter being the fullest and strongest in today's H. Upmann line-up in my book. Both even cheaper than the ConA to boot.

This almost exactly reflects my take on those two.

With some of the opinions here and a few PM's from members I am leaning more towards a box of Connie 1. The 5X48 size is closer to a Robusto, and many say this cigar trumps the "A". If it is flavorful and has a bit of complexity then I'm game. Personally I am not a large format cigar smoker. I have no Churchill or DC's anywhere in my cabinet. Robustos, Marevas and Minutos fill my humidor more than any others.

• Like 1

Buy a quarter when they come up on 24:24 and give them a try. I stock in my humi  No. 2, and Connie A's. I pull 50%/50% from each for the most part. I'm not a fan of larger ring gauge cigars either but these don't taste like a bunch of filler tobacco when I smoke them which typically happens with huge RG cigars I've smoked. I like them and they keep my attention. I've nubbed a few of them and was satisfied with the experience. I find them a little sweetier then the No. 2's.

4 hours ago, NYgarman said:

With some of the opinions here and a few PM's from members I am leaning more towards a box of Connie 1. The 5X48 size is closer to a Robusto, and many say this cigar trumps the "A". If it is flavorful and has a bit of complexity then I'm game. Personally I am not a large format cigar smoker. I have no Churchill or DC's anywhere in my cabinet. Robustos, Marevas and Minutos fill my humidor more than any others.

I smoke a lot of Connie 1. As I said, recent Connie A has been milder to my taste. Not bland--just milder. I would look for 17 and earlier Connie A. Don't think I've seen any 19 yet.

As far as Connie 1, I've not been thrilled with late 18 production. A little muddled and the shortbread is missing. I'd go for early 18 or before. As with the Connie A, I don't think I've seen any 19 yet. 

My Connie 1 stock is getting down to only late 18 and I find myself reaching for VR Famosos before these late 18 Connie 1s. 

23 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I smoke a lot of Connie 1. As I said, recent Connie A has been milder to my taste. Not bland--just milder. I would look for 17 and earlier Connie A. Don't think I've seen any 19 yet.

As far as Connie 1, I've not been thrilled with late 18 production. A little muddled and the shortbread is missing. I'd go for early 18 or before. As with the Connie A, I don't think I've seen any 19 yet. 

My Connie 1 stock is getting down to only late 18 and I find myself reaching for VR Famosos before these late 18 Connie 1s. 

The shortbread notes are the best quality of the Upmann marque. I don't have any choice with box code nor year with my supplier. I will get what they send me! (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

The shortbread notes are the best quality of the Upmann marque. I don't have any choice with box code nor year with my supplier. I will get what they send me! (fingers crossed)

I agree, which is why I'm a fan of the Connie line. Last good box I had was BRE JUN 18. After that they're all a bit funky. Since the 18 As are a bit mild for my taste I'm holding off buying any Upmann til I see 19 production. BRE should be coming to an end soon. 

Going with Famosos as my Hermosos No. 4 option at the moment. La Fuerza, Monte DE, Monte PE, PLMC and El Principe are rounding out my current rotation.

I am surprised to read negative reviews of the Connie A in this thread.  I thought the approval was more universal.  I guess that's the nature of CCs though.  As Prez says, different palates among all of us. 

But I haven't had an A that was less than terrific in my book.  To me, the A is the more refined, polished, gentleman's version of the Connie 1 and worth the extra bucks.  Although I haven't had a B (the $$$ hang me up every time they come up), I have had almost all in the HU lineup (well, I'm waiting on some Winnies that I've never had too).  I have otherwise developed a real appreciation for HUs in 2018-19 across the board though. All of 'em have been doin' it for me, but the A above all the others I've had.  I think 2019 is the year of HU, a most excellent and consistent vitola of late.  Just can't seem to go wrong with them, even the kinda ugly ones. 

Personally, I think you're missing out if you pass on a good box of the A.  It may not hit the spot for you as it does for me, but I think you won't kick yourself for pulling the trigger on the A.        

• Like 2

I got a very one of the first boxes out, smoked maybe 5, 4 were plugged, last one was perfect draw and tasted great, won’t be rushing for another bow when the Connie 1s smoke so much better.

i haven’t been saving them for ageing, just disappointed after every go.

10 hours ago, Oscar300 said:

I got a very one of the first boxes out, smoked maybe 5, 4 were plugged, last one was perfect draw and tasted great, won’t be rushing for another bow when the Connie 1s smoke so much better.

i haven’t been saving them for ageing, just disappointed after every go.

I think judging them all by one box is a fool's errand.  I understand though.  There are a number of cigars I have bought once and never again because the first experience turned me off so much.  Hell, I haven't had a LGC since about 2000 because I had just one stick that sucked so bad I have flashbacks just looking at the band.  

But I sure agree that the Connie 1s are great and real bang for the buck.  I smoke the shit out of 'em.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions! The consensus seems to be that half the folks here like the "A" and the other half feel they are over rated or disappointing for the coin. Granted these are not "cheap" bargain priced cigars. One would think they would be a home run knock your socks off cigar. I'm not feeling that vibe. I'm going with those here who say the Connie1 is the better bet. Perhaps I will try an "A" sometime, but it has not convinced me it deserves a spot in my humidor cabinet. 

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions! The consensus seems to be that half the folks here like the "A" and the other half feel they are over rated or disappointing for the coin. Granted these are not "cheap" bargain priced cigars. One would think they would be a home run knock your socks off cigar. I'm not feeling that vibe. I'm going with those here who say the Connie1 is the better bet. Perhaps I will try an "A" sometime, but it has not convinced me it deserves a spot in my humidor cabinet. 

You can always try to grab some Connie A's on the 24:24 when they offer a quarter box.   Then you get 6 to try.   The premium to purchase a quarter box is really not that bad.  I have purchased a lot of quarter boxes.   Typically two quarter boxes will get you over the $100 for free shipping.

8 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I am surprised to read negative reviews of the Connie A in this thread.  I thought the approval was more universal. 

I'm a bit surprised as well. I've been very careful to note that while I think recent Connie As are a bit milder than in the past they're certainly still very good cigars of top quality. 

This is also the first time I've seen a great deal of negative feedback about the Connie A. It's difficult to imagine the Connie A being off-putting to anyone. Sure, any cigar might not be one's cup of tea but I've never encountered a Connie A that wasn't clearly a high-quality cigar. 

• Like 3