H Upmann Connossieur A opinions

On 1/10/2020 at 3:13 AM, Islandboy said:

it seems like half the room finds them bland, and the other half thinks they’re flavor powerhouses.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, NYgarman said:

The consensus seems to be that half the folks here like the "A" and the other half feel they are over rated or disappointing for the coin.

21 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm a bit surprised as well. ... This is also the first time I've seen a great deal of negative feedback about the Connie A.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I find it surprising how this thread could lead to such a fifty-fifty conclusion. In fact, an overwhelming majority on here is in favour of the ConA, some even praising in superlatives. There's exactly three "dislikers" here. Plus two or three who mention they had good ones and poor(er) ones / underperformers (which still doesn't make it a bad cigar). That's actually an extremely positive impression that posters get from this cigar.

It is really interesting to see how a few repeat negative posts from the same posters can skew the overall impression.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@NYgarman, if you like H.Upmann Petit Corona and No.2, these cigars, like the Magnum 46 (and the other Magnums) tend to emphasise the espresso coffee part of their blends when young. On the other hand

You need to smoke them for yourself.  There is no other way..no shortcuts Some will describe a Siglo VI as bland. Some hate the 54. Some believe the Talisman are as good as vegueros. I know one w

Hmm if you've shelled out for no 2's before, the price point isn't too dissimilar in some places.  I think the A's are solid, generous flavour, good construction, age well.......just hate the siz

4 minutes ago, Fugu said:

It is really interesting to see how a few repeat negative posts from the same posters can skew the overall impression.

Ha.  I didn't really size up the balance before expressing my surprise.  You make a good point.  Must be cognitive dissonance.

Still though, Connie As are damn good and our poster was talked out of them by the few that don't think as much of them as I do!    

2 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

Ha.  I didn't really size up the balance before expressing my surprise.  You make a good point.  Must be cognitive dissonance.

Yes, I think it may just be owed to the surprise by those who really dig them to see ANY negative comment at all... :D

I wonder if some of the negativity also comes from just how high the initial runs set the bar. I do think that my post 2016 Connie As aren't as good as the earlier ones, but still think that they one of the best regular production cigars coming out of Cuban right now. Its easy to hear 'not as good' and think 'not good'.

1 hour ago, rcarlson said:

Still though, Connie As are damn good and our poster was talked out of them by the few that don't think as much of them as I do!    

Besides reading the feedback here my decision was also influenced by a bit of research reading a few internet reviews (not here) and watching a review video. I am not wealthy enough to light my Habanos with 100 dollar bills, so when pulling the trigger on a box it has to have VALUE for the coin. Also the fact that I'm not a large format cigar smoker, the "A" would have to be a full flavor "knock your socks off" kind of cigar, which it clearly isn't. The Connie 1 is more along the size that I prefer, and the cigar seems to garner mostly favorable reviews so that is my direction. Believe me, if HSA didn't eff up with the dumb decision to axe the HUPC I would keep buying boxes of those and not even venture off the Upmann path to try other stuff. I simply love those cigars. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, NSXCIGAR said:
I smoke a lot of Connie 1. As I said, recent Connie A has been milder to my taste. Not bland--just milder. I would look for 17 and earlier Connie A. Don't think I've seen any 19 yet.
As far as Connie 1, I've not been thrilled with late 18 production. A little muddled and the shortbread is missing. I'd go for early 18 or before. As with the Connie A, I don't think I've seen any 19 yet. 
My Connie 1 stock is getting down to only late 18 and I find myself reaching for VR Famosos before these late 18 Connie 1s. 

My box of 16 As are very good. Picked up a 19 box from a friend when he was in Cuba. ASR FEB 19. They look and smell great, haven’t tried one yet and probably won’t until I am close to the end of the 16 cab.

d277f230bbe2ba509a9fbac07e5321e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Besides reading the feedback here my decision was also influenced by a bit of research reading a few internet reviews (not here) and watching a review video. I am not wealthy enough to light my Habanos with 100 dollar bills, so when pulling the trigger on a box it has to have VALUE for the coin. Also the fact that I'm not a large format cigar smoker, the "A" would have to be a full flavor "knock your socks off" kind of cigar, which it clearly isn't. The Connie 1 is more along the size that I prefer, and the cigar seems to garner mostly favorable reviews so that is my direction. Believe me, if HSA didn't eff up with the dumb decision to axe the HUPC I would keep buying boxes of those and not even venture off the Upmann path to try other stuff. I simply love those cigars. 

Oh, I totally get it.  They are pricey (at least by comparison) and I'd be mighty disappointed with any stick at the price point that didn't hit a bullseye.  Not fan of the larger rg myself, and I too like full flavor over the milder.  I'd like to hear what you think once you've had a chance to lay your hands one.  There were times they were a bullseye for me.  And by the same token, the Connie 1s haven't let me down.  In fact, I just finished a Connie 1 from a clearance box and it was terrific as always.    

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, Fugu said:

But if you are looking for a truly med-full to full-body Upmann, then I'd say better reach for Mag46 or the Noellas, with the latter being the fullest and strongest in today's H. Upmann line-up in my book. Both even cheaper than the ConA to boot.

Noellas are not the easiest find. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:40 PM, Tstew75 said:

Connie B is wayyy over-priced by comparison.

Only ~$1 a stick more but I guess it depends on your perspective and enjoyment. I guess ConA plus a Trini short vs a ConB...?

26 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

With the exception of the La Fuerza, that lineup is a huge portion of my rotation as well, adding the RASS and Mag 46. Never had a La Fuerza. Im in love w anything VR tho, and the PE is my favorite Monte.

Mag 46 and RASS are my nemesis cigars. I'd definitely recommend 18/19 La Fuerza. Never really clicked with me in the past but they've impressed me lately. Rich and like a bigger El Principe and construction has been consistently good. Grab a 6er from Rob next time around. I don't think you'll regret it.

3 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

I wonder if some of the negativity also comes from just how high the initial runs set the bar.

That's a possibility. Connie A certainly hit the ground running. The last I had were 16s and I thought they were just a notch below 13-15. The 17 and 18s I've had since are clearly milder and a notch below that. 13-15 As were 94-95 point cigars easy. The 16s I had were 93-94 and recent examples I'd put at 91-92, but the mildness is just below my taste to throw money at it. Still high quality however, but I still prefer Connie 1 at that point. 

33 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

I find that the A and the Conn 1 have very similar flavors, but the Conn 1 being just slightly less complex. The 1 is a great smoke tho, and I also prefer the size. I have only bought one box of A in my smoking life, but have bought several boxes of 1s. 

I too generally choose the 1 over the A. Price is 50% higher and the 1 is a worthy little brother, although the A at its best is a wonderfully rich and full, complex, creamy shortbread and baking spice bomb. 

1 hour ago, La_Tigre said:

Noellas are not the easiest find. 

They're usually around if you look but good luck getting a jar for less than $250-270. $10 a stick is a bit much for a Corona (Cosacos) although I've liked every one I've had. Very much in line with the Connie line blends. 

The Cuba price on the other hand...that's a bargain. Definitely a cigar to pick up on the island. One of the best values.

3 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Picked up a 19 box from a friend when he was in Cuba. ASR FEB 19.

Be interested to know how they are and if you find them milder than in the past as I've found recent As to be. First 19s I've seen hit the shores and not an Upmann code unless BRE has transitioned to ASR.

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

Thanks for putting it into perspective--on review the negative feedback does seem a bit limited. But even a few "dislikes" are surprising for the Connie A, a cigar that's really tough to criticize. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:They're usually around if you look but good luck getting a jar for less than $250-270. $10 a stick is a bit much for a Corona (Cosacos) although I've liked every one I've had. Very much in line with the Connie line blends. 

The Cuba price on the other hand...that's a bargain. Definitely a cigar to pick up on the island. One of the best values.

There was a huge run of them last year. They dried up quickly. I found a couple in a very odd place in November but saw them nowhere else in Havana since early Summer. Sad to have to restrict myself because of the cigar limit; I opted for all the MdO2 and just one jar.

I got 3 jars this past year in total. ✔️?

On 1/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, La_Tigre said:

Only ~$1 a stick more but I guess it depends on your perspective and enjoyment. I guess ConA plus a Trini short vs a ConB...?

Connie B's are routinely around $350 box (if you can find them) while A's can be found on the regular for about $250.

If my math is right that's about $4 a stick.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Connie B's are routinely around $350 box (if you can find them) while A's can be found on the regular for about $250.

If my math is right that's about $4 a stick.

I rolled the dice and bought them while in Cuba.
I bought exquisite boxes of A’s from our host.