Your latest CC Purchase?

• Replies 19.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not exactly bought recently .... but just found today in my lockers : Trinidad Fundadores EL NOSU ( El Laguito OCT 1998 ) bought in 2006 in Switzerland. Placed inside my lowest locker and to

I haven't posted in here for quite some time and thought that it would be nice to share some vintage cigars that just came in. I like to collect and smoke as many different vitolas de salida as possib

I don’t normally post my purchases but, aside from the Nudies bundles I ordered, the Lanceros will probably be the last cigars I receive for a while. The other two are highlights from my last few orde

10 minutes ago, GotaCohiba said:

I’m jealous, those look better than these

0B06686E-7425-4019-B20B-2771293EB0DA.jpeg

Thanks, but the difference could just be the lighting. Have you tried one yet? I just got my box today and haven’t tried any, but the box smelled amazing ROTT. 

• Like 1

On 26.12.2017 at 7:15 PM, encephalization said:

That is an interesting point, I appreciate the input. In my experience, not all pre-2002 have the line setting as in the picture you attached. Many older cigars I've seen have had something inbetween.

This is correct. The representation on CCW is incomplete in this respect.

On 26.12.2017 at 7:55 PM, 99call said:

Hey Dude, 

In no way was questioning them, I just find this detail is always where scammers often slip up. i think they look great, congrats.

On 26.12.2017 at 11:13 PM, Guantanamera said:

Looks like I’ve ended up with a similar box of Partagas Coronas Juniors which are also purported to from 1985. These came from a LCDH. I assume they’re real. Stronger than horseradish!!ddd95a71eea1decde3fbf56defea2a28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I find noteworthy in both of these boxes is that the warranty seal is placed below the tapaclavo. Could be CbC but usually (well, usually...) the warranty seal is applied last.

From the box branding, the first box (of @encephalization) appears to be older, looking more like a pre-78 branding iron.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fugu said:

This is correct. The representation on CCW is incomplete in this respect.

What I find noteworthy in both of these boxes is that the warranty seal is placed below the tapaclavo. Could be CbC but usually (well, usually...) the warranty seal is applied last.

From the box branding, the first box (of @encephalization) appears to be older, looking more like a pre-78 branding iron.

Very nice observations, thank you @Fugu!

I have very limited experience with pre-1998 stuff (and even more so pre-1990) but I agree that it looks like there could be a difference in age between the boxes (I assume they come from the same LCDH). The fact that the Cubatabaco logo is not on mine but is on the other could still mean that they both are from 1985 (according to CCW, it was introduced in March 1985) but who knows.. I measured the HeC stamp to 69mm (for what its worth).

No idea regarding the warranty seal but that's another good spot. If it isn't Cuba being Cuba, then I wonder what it could be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, encephalization said:

Very nice observations, thank you @Fugu!

I have very limited experience with pre-1998 stuff (and even more so pre-1990) but I agree that it looks like there could be a difference in age between the boxes (I assume they come from the same LCDH). The fact that the Cubatabaco logo is not on mine but is on the other could still mean that they both are from 1985 (according to CCW, it was introduced in March 1985) but who knows.. I measured the HeC stamp to 69mm (for what its worth).

No idea regarding the warranty seal but that's another good spot. If it isn't Cuba being Cuba, then I wonder what it could be.

Difficult to say of course. But from the proportions and thickness of characters and lines, I'd say best fit would be the 1974 to 78 branding shown on CCW (unfortunately, I don't hold any boxes from that period to compare either). The follow-up would be the smaller one of 58 mm. And if you closely check the next one, apart from the narrower line width (which could theoretically vary a bit with a slight smudging during printing), the proportions are slightly different: As an example, check the distance between the U in CUBA to the C and to the B. In your stamp, the U is touching the C but not the B, quite like in the '74-stamp. In the 1980-stamp this is not the case anymore. Also the hollow in the O of HECHO is fitting better (smaller in yours). But this could surely also be due to some variance in printing and the two versions are very similar indeed, if not based on identical original templates. So either the 74-78 or the 80-82/83 would fit, I guess. The following one, used 83-85 is a bit more different and would not be fitting so well.

There are likely more tokens for differentiation, and there are certainly folks more in the know than me on this forum who might be able to add more qualified dating info here.

• Like 1