H.Upmann Petit Corona Replacements

This question was put up yesterday. 

Paraphrasing

" Is the H. Upmann Regalias similar in flavour to the H. Upmann Petit Corona.  Is there anything similar in profile to the discontinued H. Upmann Petit Corona.?"

Let us know your thoughts :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Unfortunately, from my experience, nothing quite matches the H.Upmann Petit Corona (within the marca). The H.Upmann No.2 has a similar blend, but because of it size it's a different smoking experience.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Paraphrasing

" Is the H. Upmann Regalias similar in flavour to the H. Upmann Petit Corona.  Is there anything similar in profile to the discontinued H. Upmann Petit Corona.?"

Meanwhile you kept a mastercase of PC's (52 boxes), so you can just sit back and chuckle. ?

20 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Unfortunately, from my experience, nothing quite matches the H.Upmann Petit Corona (within the marca). The H.Upmann No.2 has a similar blend, but because of it size it's a different smoking experience.

Yup. From what I've read the Regalias are not on par with the PC and are several rungs down the ladder. No thanks.

Funny how humans act. Once HSA announced the PC getting axed, people that really had no interest in the cigar went on a feeding frenzy for it when boxes came up for sale. Classic case of FOMO

• JohnS changed the title to H.Upmann Petit Corona Replacements
30 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Meanwhile you kept a mastercase of PC's (52 boxes), so you can just sit back and chuckle. ?

absobloodylutely!!!  

I learnt a valuable lesson after the (Partagas) Connie 3 was discontinued. :D

The Upmann PC wasn't even my favourite Upmann PC! I prefered the Number 4. 

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

absobloodylutely!!!  

I learnt a valuable lesson after the Connie 3 was discontinued. :D

The Upmann PC wasn't even my favourite Upmann PC! I prefered the Number 4. 

If you ever decide to sell some of those boxes here, members will have their credit cards locked and loaded! ?

11 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

This is making me sad that I keep missing Sanchos Non Plus when they go up. It will be devastating when the Non Plus est Non Plus.

the fact that the Non Plus is still around is a modern cigar miracle. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

This is making me sad that I keep missing Sanchos Non Plus when they go up. It will be devastating when the Non Plus est Non Plus.

Plenty avail if you’re willing to look.

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Paraphrasing

Corona Majors are a close approximation for me. These have been great since they began making them by hand in 2002. Always have a box and hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Habana Mike said:

Corona Majors are a close approximation for me. These have been great since they began making them by hand in 2002. Always have a box and hand.

I don't smoke enough of them Mike.  maybe a year ago. 

Thanks for the heads up :ok:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Logged on to say this.  HUPC was a personal top-3 favorite and I smoked 2 a week.  When the discontinuation was announced, I a) stocked up on HUPC boxes and b) tried the other Upmann blends in hopes of finding a replacement.  The No 2 (and Connie 1 to a lesser degree) was all that seemed to check all the boxes for me.

• Like 1

I had a Regalias box of MEG MAR 17 that I finished last year, gifting away a few admittedly, and my only note is "OK, no HUPC".
However I'm working on a box of BRE JUL 19 at the moment and they're excellent. Not as smooth or subtle as the HUPC ( I've got a few left for comparison, being conscious of the loss, ) but still good. They don't seem to have the biscuit note I always associate with HUPC

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

Outstanding cigar, I can’t name an alternative.

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:
the fact that the Non Plus is still around is a modern cigar miracle. 

I think there is no miracle here. Specific tobacco, it will simply have nowhere to put it, it would have to increase the rolling of SP Belicosos or create a new Vitola.

In addition, Non Plus is a bit overrated ($) compared to similar formats.

Probably in the minority here, but I’m finding my LUB Jul 15 Regalias slightly more enjoyable than my TOS Nov 16 HUPC’s at present. Different blends for sure though  

I might be nuts but I enjoy the half coronas more than the PCs. Connie 1 if you like a milder upmann, half corona if you like a bit of body.

11 hours ago, earthson said:

Logged on to say this.  HUPC was a personal top-3 favorite and I smoked 2 a week.  When the discontinuation was announced, I a) stocked up on HUPC boxes and b) tried the other Upmann blends in hopes of finding a replacement.  The No 2 (and Connie 1 to a lesser degree) was all that seemed to check all the boxes for me.

HUPC was a top 2 favorite for me. Pulled the trigger on a box of Conn1's to try a viable alternative. Upmann2's are close to the PC but out of my ideal price point for a daily driver cigar. 

I am echoing the masses, but personally have not found a comparable direct replacement.  
the Connie 1 and HUHC I enjoy thoroughly, but they’re not PCs....  

I managed to hoard 6-7 boxes and I imagine I’ll be sipping on them until they discontinue me..

☠️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Regalias have never impressed me. 
I've always thought the Majestics were a better cigar. Not sure how close to the HUPC they are but certainly a worthy challenger. 

I’ve got a box of majestics. I think they are very pleasant, what I consider HU dna seems to come through in the second half of the cigar.

I’ve never been wowed like with the PC or even the half corona (which I also keep on hand). They just seem to be missing a leaf that would put them over the top. Not sure. But for the price, I love them.

It’s my go to hand out cigar when at gatherings where I don’t know people well.

38 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

After reading so many comments about the beloved yet extinct HUPC, I am quite bummed that I never got to try them. The PC is one of my favorite vitolas in CCs too. When were these given the ax?

According to https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.b7bc4c8f5bdea1b10ba2b3d929c06fc1.jpg

We were made aware of their pending discontinuation in the last half of 2016. Because there were plenty still about, existing stocks lasted well into late 2017. There was a buying frenzy late 2017 on the forum, and luckily for those that got them, they went out with a bang. The last produced H Upmann PCs were some of the finest made in recent years. The last box codes I have seen were December 2016, of which I still have a full box resting. There may have been box codes from 2017, but I'm not sure.

What I have learned is that our forum here is not really all that representative of the general market. There is a loyal following on our forum for certain cigars regardless of their market status. The H Upmann PC is an example of that.

In cold hard reality, they were discontinued because they didn't sell that well, and didn't have anywhere near the market share of Monte4 or Siglo II for example. There is probably also some truth that their popularity went up after notice of their discontinuation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

According to https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.b7bc4c8f5bdea1b10ba2b3d929c06fc1.jpg

We were made aware of their pending discontinuation around the middle of 2016. There was a buying frenzy late 2016 on the forum, and luckily for those that got them, they went out with a bang. The last produced H Upmann PCs were some of the finest made in recent years. The last box codes I have seen were December 2016, of which I still have a full box resting. There may have been box codes from early 2017, but I'm not sure.

What I have learned is that our forum here is not really all that representative of the general market. There is a loyal following on our forum for certain cigars regardless of their market status. The H Upmann PC is an example of that.

In cold hard reality, they were discontinued because they didn't sell that well, and didn't have anywhere near the market share of Monte4 or Siglo II for example. There is probably also some truth that their popularity went up after notice of their discontinuation.

Seems the Diplomaticos #4 PC had a cult following also before it was axed.

Well, shoot, if the guy is really interested, I might be willing to put mine up on the trading block. Just got a box of HUPC shipped to me (finally let them out of the OLH); they are actually scheduled to arrive on Saturday.

12 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Seems the Diplomaticos #4 PC had a cult following also before it was axed.

Now this is one I am truly sore about! These were my favourite PC and a regular stocker for me even back when I started smoking in 2005-2006.

Notice that I corrected some dates in my original post from 2016 to 2017 which don't reflect in my copied post in your reply. I checked my records and I bought around the end of the buying frenzy in December 2017 (December 2017 saw pretty much the last of them on our forum).

• Like 1