H.Upmann Petit Corona Replacements

According to https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com
Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.b7bc4c8f5bdea1b10ba2b3d929c06fc1.jpg
We were made aware of their pending discontinuation in the last half of 2016. Because there were plenty still about, existing stocks lasted well into late 2017. There was a buying frenzy late 2017 on the forum, and luckily for those that got them, they went out with a bang. The last produced H Upmann PCs were some of the finest made in recent years. The last box codes I have seen were December 2016, of which I still have a full box resting. There may have been box codes from 2017, but I'm not sure.
What I have learned is that our forum here is not really all that representative of the general market. There is a loyal following on our forum for certain cigars regardless of their market status. The H Upmann PC is an example of that.
In cold hard reality, they were discontinued because they didn't sell that well, and didn't have anywhere near the market share of Monte4 or Siglo II for example. There is probably also some truth that their popularity went up after notice of their discontinuation.

I bought at the end of that frenzy on 24:24. I am still upset I didn’t get more. Just one box and it may the the last code made. They are TOS ENE 17. So I can confirm they had some in January 17 made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

I bought at the end of that frenzy on 24:24. I am still upset I didn’t get more. Just one box and it may the the last code made. They are TOS ENE 17. So I can confirm they had some in January 17 made.

I have some LUB14 boxes and they are very good. Anything LUB Upmann was fantastic. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

There may have been box codes from 2017, but I'm not sure.

Last 2 boxes I got were ENE JAN 17 and they were the best I had ever seen with one box sporting a flawless rosado wrapper and the other having a deep Colorado Maduro wrapper and both boxes being pretty damned oily-looking.  Those will be the last 2 boxes I crack open.

14 hours ago, dan benhamou said:

can someone tell me a little more about the profile of this legendary hupc

Where to begin?  All of the biscuit and coffee and earth you love about the Upmann profile and then, depending on age, typically either a bucket full of leather or else that leather turning to a particular creamy note I have not found in any other marca.  I love them and it was the first truly disheartening cancellation in my world of cigars.  I prefer the mareva and I preferred this one above all others, even the PLPC.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, earthson said:

Last 2 boxes I got were ENE JAN 17 and they were the best I had ever seen with one box sporting a flawless rosado wrapper and the other having a deep Colorado Maduro wrapper and both boxes being pretty damned oily-looking.  Those will be the last 2 boxes I crack open.

Where to begin?  All of the biscuit and coffee and earth you love about the Upmann profile and then, depending on age, typically either a bucket full of leather or else that leather turning to a particular creamy note I have not found in any other marca.  I love them and it was the first truly disheartening cancellation in my world of cigars.  I prefer the mareva and I preferred this one above all others, even the PLPC.

Agreed. Earth, coffee and that unique shortbread cookie note tucked in there made it a great tasting cigar. 

I haven't found a replacement that checks all the boxes for me. I agree that the No 2 is typically closest in profile, but the size is obviously way off. Mag 46 is on the other end of the spectrum, HUHC are not a cigar I have smoked many of, so no opinion there. 

I have been smoking ALOT more Noellas, in the last couple years. I brought a jar back with me in November 18 and bought/smoked through most of a jar during our fishing trip in April. Very different profile, but near exactly the same size. (6mm length difference) 

But, if I had to pick one cigar that I have smoked most to "replace" the HUPC, it would be the Corona Major. They offer the best blend of similar profile and size to the PC's, I think. Fortunately, they're priced reasonably as well. 

33 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I haven't found a replacement that checks all the boxes for me. I agree that the No 2 is typically closest in profile, but the size is obviously way off. Mag 46 is on the other end of the spectrum, HUHC are not a cigar I have smoked many of, so no opinion there. 

I have been smoking ALOT more Noellas, in the last couple years. I brought a jar back with me in November 18 and bought/smoked through most of a jar during our fishing trip in April. Very different profile, but near exactly the same size. (6mm length difference) 

But, if I had to pick one cigar that I have smoked most to "replace" the HUPC, it would be the Corona Major. They offer the best blend of similar profile and size to the PC's, I think. Fortunately, they're priced reasonably as well. 

I will have to try them. Too bad they are only available in tubos. I prefer standard dress boxes. 

4 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

I will have to try them. Too bad they are only available in tubos. I prefer standard dress boxes. 

Agreed, I think that's part of the reason they "fly under the radar" a bit. I always have 2 or 3 boxes of varying ages that I'm working through. Again, not a 1:1 match, but the closest I've found. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, earthson said:

Exactly. That particular creamy note is quite unmistakable when you get it.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:01 AM, nKostyan said:

Outstanding cigar, I can’t name an alternative.

I think there is no miracle here. Specific tobacco, it will simply have nowhere to put it, it would have to increase the rolling of SP Belicosos or create a new Vitola.

In addition, Non Plus is a bit overrated ($) compared to similar formats.

That is a great point about the tobacco in the Sancho blend having to go somewhere if the NP and Beli both disappear. 

@El Presidente any idea where HSA might put that salty cream and toasted tobacco leaf that could fit within other existing blend profiles?

That is a great point about the tobacco in the Sancho blend having to go somewhere if the NP and Beli both disappear. 
[mention=4]El Presidente[/mention] any idea where HSA might put that salty cream and toasted tobacco leaf that could fit within other existing blend profiles?

In very expensive sP regionals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Exactly. That particular creamy note is quite unmistakable when you get it.

Do you all have these in Oz? The shortbread flavor is here!

shortbread.png

2 hours ago, HDGSN said:

@El Presidente any idea where HSA might put that salty cream and toasted tobacco leaf that could fit within other existing blend profiles?

The Belicosos might be in a current hiatus (like the La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4), but it's unlikely to be discontinued as it's the last regular production Sancho Panza vitola left.

1 hour ago, havanaclub said:

In very expensive sP regionals.

That's spot on there! Witness what's happened to the La Gloria Cubana marca in the last few years, as an example.

50 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Do you all have these in Oz? The shortbread flavor is here!

shortbread.png

No. I can't say that I encountered this product before. However, if it equates to a gorgeous, aged and creamy H.Upmann Petit Corona in any way, then it must be great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

The Belicosos might be in a current hiatus (like the La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4), but it's unlikely to be discontinued as it's the last regular production Sancho Panza vitola left.

That's spot on there! Witness what's happened to the La Gloria Cubana marca in the last few years, as an example.

No. I can't say that I encountered this product before. However, if it equates to a gorgeous, aged and creamy H.Upmann Petit Corona in any way, then it must be great!

They are heaven with a cup of fresh coffee.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, Habana Mike said:

Corona Majors are a close approximation for me.

Surprised more people haven't mentioned these.  I find the profile similar as well (though I'm certainly no Upmann expert)... and the size is spot on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 11:53 AM, The Squiggler said:

Surprised more people haven't mentioned these.  I find the profile similar as well (though I'm certainly no Upmann expert)... and the size is spot on.

Conflicting reports on these. I’ve found them fairly one dimensional in the past. Don’t know I wanna spring for a whole box to see.

2 minutes ago, Duxnutz said:

Conflicting reports on these. I’ve found them fairly one dimensional in the past. Don’t know I wanna spring for a whole box to see.

I think they round out a bit with age, but I agree, they tend to be a bit more one dimensional. Fortunately, I like that dimension, so it might not necessarily be  a negative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VKUTT said:

I am bummed that I never had this apparently fabulous cigar. Its an Upmann and a PC, both of which I love, and the flavor profile sounds amazing. If anyone has even a couple spares... (this would definitely be shameless begging)

Ive heard about different discontinuations, but this is the one I am the most curious about. 

Also not thrilled w the current huge ring gauge trend. Oh well, such is life.

I might have one that I can bring to the Denver Herf next month.

58 minutes ago, joey rockets said:

HU once offered a small cigar titled 'Epicure' that I seldom see anymore.  It was a 35 rg and fairly short.  Has it also gone the way of the dinosaur?

99.9% sure these are still made, though no one ever talks about them. Seems the Regalias get all the popularity over these. But they also have the Majestic which is another H.Upmann C&C. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:01 AM, Duxnutz said:

On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, Corylax18 said:

I think they round out a bit with age, but I agree, they tend to be a bit more one dimensional. Fortunately, I like that dimension, so it might not necessarily be a negative. 

They are one dimensional. Like @Corylax18, I quite like that core flavour, but more so when they have age on them.