WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! Favourite cut of beef? Weekend comp

OK I am just giving you an excuse to bring out and prepare your favourite cut of beef for the weekend ;)

What is your favourite cut of beef? 

I have a few. Wagyu rib eye on the bone (slow cook in oven for an hour at 105 c/ 210)F and finished on the grill for 4 minutes), Wagyu eye fillet (two fingers thick), Wagyu sirloin. 

We are  indeed blessed to have great steak in this land that is easily sourced and cooked at home.  

I will put up 5 samplers of N1 and N3 Nudes (a mix) for this weekend. 

Let us know your favourite but then post here with a description & photograph. Even better with a cigar in the pic! Let us know what you are drinking with it :party:

*One sampler to the photo/description with the most likes. 

*4 samplers ot be drawn from all entries. 

I am posting it today so that you have plenty of time to prep. Drawn Wednesday local!

Enjoy and I look forward to a peek into your meat eating world! :spotlight:

• Like 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Kobe beef that I had in Japan. They even showed the birth certificate of the cow and it even had a name! The fat and flavours were sick and it melted instantly like butter in my mouth. The only seas

My favourite .....all of them . I will post this,  a mongrel cut hunk of beef on the bone. Barbecued with salt and pepper cooked farely rare that is it. A half decent bottle of red . No sides that is

Love a good steak frites with a 'bavette' cut.      I get that expensive cuts have a luxurious mouthfeel etc, but i find that fiberous cheaper cuts, have a deeper, beefier flavour.  With either a

As much as I wish I could join in with the wagyu guys, I haven’t had the opportunity...

My go to celebration cut is PORTERHOUSE. Not just any t-bone, these have everything: NY strip on one side, filet on the other, and a bone in the middle for extra flavor.

I use a sous vide (the Boveda bag of cooking, you can’t mess up) at 127F for two hours. Then I get a cast iron ripping hot, toss on butter, S+P, garlic and rosemary, and sear the meat for 1-2 min per side to get a good crust.

Usually results in what I describe as “meat drunk” due to its size but totally worth it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

Ive never had it. The marbling looks amazing, but it must make the meat taste very fatty, even after its rendered?

For home I grill A5 Wagyu Eye fillet cut 2 fingers thick.  Melt in your mouth stuff and not fatty. 

Favourite restaurant serves an A7 Wagyu Sirloin. Superb. 

Yes, you need to cook it a little lower and longer (after the initial sear).  They are quite resilient. 

Wagyu is widely found here and at increasingly good prices although more expensive right now due to the drought and increasing feed prices.

I pay $49 a kilo locally ($34 USD  for 2.2 pounds) for A5 Wagyu Eye Fillet. 

some background:

Australian Grading System

The Australian grading system for Wagyu is very similar to the Japanese system. However, instead of going up to a quality score of 12, the Australian system only goes up to 9. The ranges of quality scores required to achieve a quality grade from 1 to 5 are also the same, but the Excellent rating only includes scores of 8 and 9. Grade A5 meat in Australia, then, is very similar to an A5 score given to Wagyu in Japan.

• Like 1

I have two favorites, one of which I had tonight before I saw this thread. Both cuts are available, alternatinglt from my local grocer: Prime/Wagyu Market Steak and Prime/Wagyu Hangar Steak. The Market Steak is a combination of Ribeye and Chuck Steak and delicious. A prime steak is$9.99 USD/lb or Wagyu is $19.99USD/lb. The hangar I love and appreciate its rich, irony goodness and pricing Is similar to the market steak. I seldom buy the popular cuts anymore with these as my choices

I love beef. I have it maybe for maybe 10 meals a week (excluding breakfast), all types of cuts and styles.

Because of this comp today, I had to have beef. Thanks prez for the excuse! 

Today was hotpot with both Jap and local China beef, with sake and whisky and a upmann no2. 

IMG_20200117_201938.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, El Presidente said:

For home I grill A5 Wagyu Eye fillet cut 2 fingers thick.  Melt in your mouth stuff and not fatty. 

Favourite restaurant serves an A7 Wagyu Sirloin. Superb. 

Yes, you need to cook it a little lower and longer (after the initial sear).  They are quite resilient. 

Wagyu is widely found here and at increasingly good prices although more expensive right now due to the drought and increasing feed prices.

some background:

Australian Grading System

The Australian grading system for Wagyu is very similar to the Japanese system. However, instead of going up to a quality score of 12, the Australian system only goes up to 9. The ranges of quality scores required to achieve a quality grade from 1 to 5 are also the same, but the Excellent rating only includes scores of 8 and 9. Grade A5 meat in Australia, then, is very similar to an A5 score given to Wagyu in Japan.

How about sending me a few pounds of that ribeye with the next order? They sell Waygu by the ounce here if that tells you anything. It's not graded nor is it Kobe. You will only find a few farmers in each state. I have one that is 60 miles north. Great guy, but $400 to feed a family of six one meal, I'd rather buy a box of cigars and slum it with my USDA choice. Ribeye runs $7-$20 a pound. For $7 it's usually a whole rib roast bone in which is how this family rolls.

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

WOW!  Please send a pallet or two my way.  I can't imagine getting it that cheap.  Especially for fillet.  Here in Vancouver it is $375/kg for A5 Striploin!!  

My two favourites are bone in ribeye or a fillet.

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic