WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! Favourite cut of beef? Weekend comp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Kobe beef that I had in Japan. They even showed the birth certificate of the cow and it even had a name! The fat and flavours were sick and it melted instantly like butter in my mouth. The only seas

My favourite .....all of them . I will post this,  a mongrel cut hunk of beef on the bone. Barbecued with salt and pepper cooked farely rare that is it. A half decent bottle of red . No sides that is

Love a good steak frites with a 'bavette' cut.      I get that expensive cuts have a luxurious mouthfeel etc, but i find that fiberous cheaper cuts, have a deeper, beefier flavour.  With either a

On 1/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, xelzh said:

A Kobe beef that I had in Japan. They even showed the birth certificate of the cow and it even had a name! The fat and flavours were sick and it melted instantly like butter in my mouth. The only seasoning needed was salt and pepper. Even an old man with no teeth can bite it through easily. 

IMG_20190406_181316.jpg

What is the date of birth and name?  With such formality it seems proper respects are owed -- well, beyond those that you gave. 

When she arrives in Valhalla does she graze with the poor bastards I picked up at COSTCO?  

So many questions . . .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My wife works Sundays so I have the day to myself. I go shopping on the Saturday morning and pick up a ribeye from Tupper Brothers butchers at the end of my road and a loaf of Italian wholemeal from the bakers. Almost every Sunday for lunch I have a rare ribeye, heavily seasoned with salt and ground black pepper with a dry fried egg on top. Small piece of Italian wholemeal bread and butter to soak up the juices.

There'll be no photo unfortunately as I'm out tomorrow and won't be at home for lunch.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

My favourite is T-bone steak with blue cheese butter and cherry coke. I ordered the same thing in Gorat`s steak house Omaha Nebraska. Mr Warren Buffet eats there every day and he allways eats T-bone steak and drinks cherry coke!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

My favourite is T-bone steak with blue cheese butter and cherry coke. I ordered the same thing in Gorat`s steak house Omaha Nebraska. Mr Warren Buffet eats there every day and he allways eats T-bone steak and drinks cherry coke!

Ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

I celebrate the entire catalog, but If I had to pick one cut, it would be the ribeye cap steak.  It is what we cook the most.  A ribeye has two parts, the "eye" part attached to the rib, and the "cap" part around the outside.  The cap is generally much more tender, and I think also has deeper beef flavor.  I first found the cap portions separately at a butcher by one of our old homes, but more recently, Costco has been selling them as two cap portions tied together in a sort of pin-wheel steak.  They are just USDA Prime, no birth certificate or stories, but they are incredible.

I apply a light coat of a season salt (a locally made blend similar to Lawrys) a few hours before the grill (or more if I have time).  We have cooked them every way possible, flat top, smoker, sous vide, cast iron, and our favorite is plain old charcoal on a Weber kettle.  I start them on direct heat, for 3-4 mins each side to get a decent sear, then move them off to indirect heat, and check temp every few minutes with a Thermapen.  When they hit about 110DF, I cut the string and pull them apart, and move them back on direct heat, moving them around frequently.  I run them up to about 135DF, which is higher than I do with other cuts, but these will take it.  As they come off the grill, I give a light coat of fresh cracked pepper, and let rest 10-15 minutes.

Did four of them tonight (and a random New York that was in the freezer).  The pics don't do it justice.  They cook pretty quickly, so a MMC was the perfect companion outside in the cold.  And a good red on the table.

iTTB3js.jpg

9FfVObx.jpg

yuQRdjO.jpg

2BetIYd.jpg

7YCUcw1.jpg

This is amazing to hear.  Costco used to offer the deckle but stopped doing it!  It’s truly the greatest steak ever.  I’m so glad there’s still a Costco that does it.  I only selfishly the ones near me still did.  

On 1/17/2020 at 11:27 PM, BoliDan said:

Y'all with your ridiculously fancy cuts. And I'm sitting here cooking a skirt steak. That's just too embarrassing post.

I'll take a skirt steak with chimichurri or marchand de Vin sauce anyday over most other cuts....perfect amount of fat while still retaining a proper chew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wailbait said:

This is amazing to hear.  Costco used to offer the deckle but stopped doing it!  It’s truly the greatest steak ever.  I’m so glad there’s still a Costco that does it.  I only selfishly the ones near me still did.  

Yep, a friend who lives about an hour from me told me a while back that his local Costco stopped carrying it. But it still appears regularly in ours.  I will say, after years of top notch quality, we have recently had a few that were sub par. Just a few though. Last night’s were ‘cracking’ :2thumbs:

On 1/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, MrGinger said:

WOW!  Please send a pallet or two my way.  I can't imagine getting it that cheap.  Especially for fillet.  Here in Vancouver it is $375/kg for A5 Striploin!!  

My two favourites are bone in ribeye or a fillet.

I think wholesale for A5 Miyazaki in the states is around 100 USD per pound...I can't believe it's so cheap in Australia. 

• Like 1

So many great cuts that I hope one day to grace my table. Alas, mine is a sad tale of an apartment dwelling carnivore whose only grill is a communal contraption filled with rusty grates, broken knobs, and a plumbed in gas line that defies all operational logic. Oh and it’s winter in the northern hemisphere so it’s really freaking cold out there! ?

I’ll order fancy at a restaurant or eat some smoked tri-tip at a buddy’s place but at home my favorite cut is a flat iron or a Denver steak... whatever my butcher has a better deal on. Thin cuts like these fry up quick in my cast iron skillet meaning less meat smoke to fill my apartment and make it reek in to the next morning. Preferred preparation is simple: leave out for an hour to bring meat up near room temp, salt and pepper the steak, throw some olive oil in the skillet on medium plus heat, then slap a steak in there with four minutes on each side. Perfect every time. Something about the olive oil really brings out the buttery quality of beef fat without actually using butter... very odd. Tonight’s was served up with a Greek-ish salad and some baguette pieces.

As for a beverage I do a dry January every year so I use my standard substitute of tart cherry juice. You’ve got to get some that is actually tart but when you do it does a decent job of providing acid to counter the fat all while tasting vaguely like the world’s worst red blend. Sort of bitter, acidic, fruit cocktail which could also describe some of the worst wines I’ve ever had... February can’t come soon enough!

AF0AC419-3F3B-410F-A8DC-AC900BCE8514.thumb.jpeg.3fd73d6ea173bab873acca7dc06a059d.jpeg

C0D58936-22FD-4A7F-AA27-E678B2AE2EA7.thumb.jpeg.789573485f20f1b2ea40972a72a6a00e.jpeg

DA40B852-1C6D-42FE-9552-5C595C9B0BA8.thumb.jpeg.fe1e47c580c38cf1c5e0fb22597887d5.jpeg

• Like 3

Favorite cut of beef I've had was the Porter House at Peter Lugers in NY for my birthday, about 10 years ago.  I've heard they've gone downhill since then, but this was just sublime.  The first truly high end steak I've had and it was a very memorable experience.

As far as home cooking, I go the range from sirloins to Porterhouse to Prime Rib to Brisket.  Smoked, grilled, cast iron.  Just recently picked up a sous vide from Aldi, so I'll be giving that a shot at some point!

Peter Lugers.jpg

Brisket.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FrancisK7 said:

Looks like you went at the right time. The NYT reviewed Luger last October and gave it a scathing 0 star review: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

The best part: 

LOL brutal ?

I actually liked the sliced tomatoes ?

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic