Best of the afternoon session

2 minutes ago, Meklown said:

Prez, what would you say is the (general) difference between light / dark wrapper Epi 2s?

The addition of cocoa to the core flavour which in an epi 2 has a creamy core. 

Quality thin light wrapper with sheen works very well and imparts a nutty almond edge. 

I swing both ways. 

Mind you, talking good dark wrapper and that is thin tensile wrapper with a good level of oil so it is silky to touch.  Rough thick dark wrapper is awful. So too is flaky yellow wrapper. 

• Like 1

Just now, Derboesekoenig said:

I thought the forum-consensus on total flavor of cigar solely from wrapper was only something minute, hmmm let's say only around 1%-10%? There was a pretty in-depth thread from awhile back from what I remember

try to find it again and post a link :thumbsup:  i don't think there was a consensus. 

Dependent on how you define "change" in a cigar. 

Is adding a sprinkle of Mozzarella cheese to a taco a  4% change (ingredient)  a 50% change (perception of influence on final flavour) or a 100% change (because the final flavour is different to the taco with no cheese). 

Welcome to the debate :D

43 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

try to find it again and post a link :thumbsup:  i don't think there was a consensus. 

Dependent on how you define "change" in a cigar. 

Is adding a sprinkle of Mozzarella cheese to a taco a  4% change (ingredient)  a 50% change (perception of influence on final flavour) or a 100% change (because the final flavour is different to the taco with no cheese). 

Welcome to the debate :D

There seems to have been many threads on this very topic. 

The article in this one is interesting: 

And this is the thread I was thinking of:  

I have no more comments lol...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice!  Been looking for a cab of PLPCs. 

Insofar as the wrapper, I tend to think it has a greater effect then what people think.  The typical robusto uses 6 leave, or 12 halves.  The wrapper is half a leaf, or 1/12 of the total blend, so it surely has an effect.  Insofar as how much comes down to the strength of the wrapper (dependent on the location of the plant it came from) and how much Seco or Volado is used in the blend.  If you have a strong wrapper from midway up the plant with 2 or 3 leaves being Voladoa, I tend to think the wrapper could be responcible for 20% of the flavor.  A great example are the Oliva Melanio blends.  The Sumatra vs. the Maduro versions have the same blend except for the wrapper, and the different in taste is quite drastic.