BHK band glue and alignment

Bucky McSwensen

Recently acquired some bhk.  Have an opportunity for some 56 but a few things concerned me when inspecting the box.  I know Cuba can be Cuba but also know that's less allowed with this high end of a box.  Main issues are

Loose band (no glue)

Misalignment beyond my tolerances

Cuba seal on exterior not what I'm used to

First issue was the Cuba seal on outer cardboard.  Seemed like it was a slightly different material and when I applied the blacklight it got all washed out.  Haven't seen this on any other box dating back as far as 98 (that's my oldest).  Serial number checks out but barcode doesnt scan.  Here's a comparison from 3 boxes.PhotoGrid_1579682709820.thumb.jpg.e2b46938011409e869a8cd84501062fc.jpg

This just made me nervous.  Not a deal breaker.  But the bands had some slight misalignment of squares, text and were not glued on firmly.  Easily peeled off without any resistance or tearing.

IMG_20200122_010831.thumb.jpg.a89c461c8d83f7cd2afe6137ffbc2e63.jpgIMG_20200122_010701.thumb.jpg.efc509f733984a51650528bb2a66d204.jpgIMG_20200122_010803.thumb.jpg.ab890a3e9ff647dd58e90e13a8b9c3e1.jpgIMG_20200122_010644.thumb.jpg.014700fde0bc6bc891b0ca908b8f5d21.jpg

So I trust the source and most things check out but just enough to make me insecure enough to pass.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The pictures appear to show a 2 seam cap. Is that just a product of the photos, do they have three seams? The glow coming from that seal on the 56 box is definitely a concern. I'm of the same mind as @99call so I am far from a BHK authenticity expert, but I agree with you, there appears to be a couple red flags.  

• Like 1

My main thought on this, is that ........if it's one of the top suppliers......they have access to all sorts of ways of making extra money.   pocketing regionals etc.   And having recently watched a youtuber savage a Switzerland supplier.........well it's a different world.....your power as a customer is far greater than it was 10yrs ago.     To my mind, only the most stupid/greedy, merchants would try to stiff their clients on such premo product.

not the answer you're looking for though right????     sadly I think your going to get 50/50 feedback saying....."Jeese those are total BS"  or " looks totally legit to me" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

So I trust the source and most things check out but just enough to make me insecure enough to pass.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thinking to myself, my thought is that if you did trust the source, it wouldn't be an issue. More general thoughts to myself are that cigars should be a simple enjoyment, and not a cause of angst. But that is another thought topic for another thought time.....

• Like 2

The number of times my mom would say "oh my son would never do that"....  I'm having flashbacks to childhood.  I trust the source, just don't know who the source trusts.

I just know there's others involved in the chain that could have done things.  I've heard supply horror stories from the island, lcdhs and other vendors.  Just doing a sanity check here as I know some have been smoking bhks for nearly a decade.  Mainly looking for validation that this happens or I'm right to be concerned

Edited by Bucky McSwensen
Poor word choice

2 minutes ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

The number of times my mom would say "oh my son would never do that"....  I'm having flashbacks to childhood.  I trust the source, just don't know who the source trusts.

I just know there's others involved in the chain that could have done things.  I've heard supply horror stories from the island, lcdhs and other vendors.  Just doing a sanity check here as I know some have been smoking bhks for decades.  Mainly looking for validation that this happens or I'm right to be concerned

Of course - your questions are valid, and I mean absolutely no derision. I guess my "big picture" thought is that it shouldn't be a worry..

12 minutes ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

I just know there's others involved in the chain that could have done things.  I've heard supply horror stories from the island, lcdhs and other vendors.  Just doing a sanity check here as I know some have been smoking bhks for decades.  Mainly looking for validation that this happens or I'm right to be concerned

Don't trust anybody that tells you they've been smoking BHK's for Decades. We're still a few months shy of the OR's first Decade anniversary. 

1 minute ago, Colt45 said:

Of course - your questions are valid, and I mean absolutely no derision. I guess my "big picture" thought is that it shouldn't be a worry..

No derision taken!  100% agree.  That's where I normally am.  I do little random barcode and black light checks from time to time for that warm fuzzy of I know my stuff and am doing things right.  This one just got me insecure since I'm asking all the questions a buddy is split these with might ask me. 

10 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Don't trust anybody that tells you they've been smoking BHK's for Decades. We're still a few months shy of the OR's first Decade anniversary. 

Haha I meant a full decade.  I know we barely coming up to the initial release.  Poor word choice on my end.  I will edit

Also caps seem fine in person.  This one just had some overlapping and I'm a shitty cameraman.  The idea of if you gonna do fakes why you would skimp on the triple cap part.  I have stopped looking for that most times.

The pictures appear to show a 2 seam cap. Is that just a product of the photos, do they have three seams? The glow coming from that seal on the 56 box is definitely a concern. I'm of the same mind as [mention=30385]99call[/mention] so I am far from a BHK authenticity expert, but I agree with you, there appears to be a couple red flags.  

I agree to check if it is a two or three seem cap. If only two then you needed check anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spacing on top of the letters BEHIKE is off, and should never look like that. This is a counterfeit...

A bunch of other little things are off, and what do you mean barcode doesn't scan? Don't scan it, input the numbers manually. Even if that checks out, it is counterfeit. Doesn't look right to me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Give us photos of cigars in boxes

The cigar you hold in your hand doesn't look like the original

That about seals it for me.  Thanks guys.

23 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Don't scan it, input the numbers manually

I did both.  Part of the seal being off was the black light whitewashing.  Also seemed lower res.  The microprinting was harder to read but also matched.  Barcode cam scans apps read the barcode.  Works on all boxes and matches number.  Wouldn't read this one.  Just another flag that it wasn't original seal even though number matched the box.

Lots of red flags.  Enough to walk away.  Thanks everyone.

12 hours ago, 99call said:

My main thought on this, is that ........if it's one of the top suppliers......they have access to all sorts of ways of making extra money.   pocketing regionals etc.   And having recently watched a youtuber savage a Switzerland supplier.........well it's a different world.....your power as a customer is far greater than it was 10yrs ago.     To my mind, only the most stupid/greedy, merchants would try to stiff their clients on such premo product.

not the answer you're looking for though right????     sadly I think your going to get 50/50 feedback saying....."Jeese those are total BS"  or " looks totally legit to me" 

Any link please? As a swiss dude i d like to know who is he talking about

Really appreciate all the feedback.  I've averaged out all the input and come to the conclusion that with all the red flags one cannot for sure 100 percent confirm illigitimate stick and since this is a trusted supplier all I can do is express my concerns and why we are sending it back.  If this were cheaper reg I may feel okay smoking one to see if Cuba indeed being Cuba. Def seen crazy stuff occur before just not comfortable with bhk. Since this such a high risk stick (cost and reputation for scams) I can only take on this risk solo.  If I ever say this in a box pass I'd lose all respect for the person who gave it.

Not worth disparaging where I got it because it's near impossible to for sure make that accusation and it could still just be a bottom of the barrel box.  Any one issue isn't a huge deal.  All added together made me uncomfortble.  Healthy skepticism and questioning attitude especially with bhk.  Good Moving on.

Thanks for all the feedback and Im welcome to more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozenbarb said:

The band is 100% real. Everything in the band lines up properly with no mistakes. Maybe the band was placed on by a rookie and rolled by a professional.

No sir, the band is not real. It does not line up and not symmetric, and embossing/finish looks off. The cigar itself does not look like behike at all. The wrapper looks like trash compared to real Behike. Also, these cigars are not handled by "rookies".