Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

16 minutes ago, Yellot00tr said:

Gotcha. Now we’re on the same exact page-we need confidence from those that lead during times of crisis. We’re seeing the panic firsthand, and it’s not pretty. We’re a large import/export group and run a huge retail division with 30,000 employees globally. People are coming in and buying 100lbs of rice at a clip and asking if we’ll sell them cases of pasta. It’s nuts. 

Yeah.  Haven't been through a natural disaster to compare.  But this morning I went to costco (inner city atlanta) about 30 minutes prior to opening for some must have foodstuffs.  100-200 people ahead of me.  In 10 minutes, there were 200-300 behind me.  The workers were calm, diligent, and efficient.  I was impressed.  A bull horn announced what was available, what was not, priorities and what could be had all set out right at the entrance and with a nod put into your cart.  A lot of odd choices by people, but no panicked vibe really.  

A little unpleasant; hardly Lord of The Flies.  Now we're not down to severe depletion, but I felt a little more like we can collectively handle this, at least around here.    

21 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Can one of the MD’s on this board please confirm that single malt scotch is effective as a preventive? I need an expert opinion to show my wife. 

My initials are MD and yes, I can confirm that is true.  

• Thanks 1

Oooh you take my breath away, and make me cough. Or is it just a game in my miiind corona

Can't turn on my radio, or my TV, without hearin' all about you myyy corona

People hoarding toilet paper sanitizer paper towels, must plan on poopin' all day long surprised there's not poop in the aisles

My, my, my, my, my whooo!

M-m-m my corona....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been dreading it for 2 weeks, but I finally made the trek to our local Costco, had to, needed food, wine, and yes TP because aside from rolls already on the dispensers in the house we were down to just 1 spare roll left. My wife was already thinking of raking leaves as backup because she didn't think we could get TP.

I knew what to expect, so I went 20 mins before opening, and was prepared to be patient. The lines were very long, but very orderly. They were rationing, which is good because it kept everything moving along smoothly. So I got one pkg of TP, one case of water, 5 bottles of wine (priorities), and some basic groceries. They had no bleach, no hand sanitizer, no disinfecting wipes. A couple of folks tried to cut into lines, but they were politely redirected. It took about 2 hours to get my things and traverse the pay lines, but I got most of what I needed to last about 2 weeks I guess... although I think 5 bottles of wine certainly won't last 2 weeks, but lines at liquor stores shouldn't be such a big problem, I hope.

Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a couple of weeks, this was not so bad, but certainly more burden than usual.

Lots of panic buying for sure, long lines and empty shelves.  It ended up that I needed TP and Rice during this time which sucks but if you are patient enough, it can still be got.  

Our university has moved all classes to online and cancelled all events with more than 50 people. At least, more people are starting to believe that it is not a ‘hoax’.  Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Here’s what I consider one of the best assessments of our current situation to date, written by someone who seems immensely qualified to comment on such things:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n06/rupert-beale/short-cuts

• Thanks 3

No idea of the veracity, but thought it interesting nonetheless.... (can't open any page without something about it)

Link

I've pretty much been of the camp that it's more than likely that zillions of people have some form of it, and have for a long time, that how it manifests itself varies from person to person.

My sky is not falling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No idea of the veracity, but thought it interesting nonetheless.... (can't open any page without something about it)
Link
I've pretty much been of the camp that it's more than likely that zillions of people have some form of it, and have for a long time, that how it manifests itself varies from person to person.
My sky is not falling.

Yes, that’s how it works and that’s the danger of it. It can be a light fever for you but the person you pass it on to get severe lung damage. Or worse.

3 hours ago, Cubadust said:

Yes, that’s how it works and that’s the danger of it. It can be a light fever for you but the person you pass it on to get severe lung damage. Or worse.

Pretty much like anything contagious. If you're sick (with anything), stay home from work. If your kids are sick (with anything) don't send them to school.

Today there was a fistfight at the local grocery store . I didnt bother going in. Went to my local little italian deli that I have known the family for decades. They also got swarmed. They dont carry any TP or sanitizers or that stuff. Just meat, lunch meat, dry pasta, frozen homemade dinners etc.  I walked in later just before close. They were frazzled and pee’d off. Nearly all the dry pastas, all the frozen dinners, most of the lunch meats and all of the good italian bread was wiped out. They said most of the people they have never seen before. I actually only went in for some Bread but nothing. So I picked up a couple choice steaks, a ring of italian sausage, pecorino romano, locatelli and a few pounds of dry pasta they had in back. The ladies there said the people treated them like crap and talking poorly to them. People seem to be losing their minds with this thing. Hopefully it settles down a bit soon and people are stuck with their 10,000 rolls of TP and 40 cases of water. 
I went to an indoor car show the weekend before Thanksgiving. I got the worst respiratory virus I have ever had. It was brutal. This was BEFORE Wuhan was announced. It was with me until a week after New Years Day. I went to clinics as an emergency visit and then to my own doc. They just said virus at that time but not yet pneumonia. Yesterday I was at a regular doc visit and I mentioned that now after the fact I think I may have had some form of this. She said it was very likely. So I guess I may have dodged a bullet. My lungs arent the best anyway. This crap has been out there a while before China announced it. Luckily I live alone and dont think I infected anyone at the time and I was in no shape to go out anyway. Common sense will prevail here. Wash your hands. Dont touch your face and stay out of crowds. Schools, all large functions and even church has shut down. Gonna be a while we just need patience I guess. Good news is, today me and a couple buddies smoked my last 3 RJ Cazadores from about 08. Wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, smokum said:

She said it was very likely.

It certainly wasn't. And if it wasn't for a misunderstanding, you overhearing her "un"(-likely), the lady seems to have no clue about epidemiology.

Had you had the new SARS-CoV-2 back by mid November already, then the States had seen a very different course of spreading. You sure would be a case for further scientific investigation - you should go and have an anybody test!

(Just kidding - your infection could have been anything but certainly not Covid19!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smokum said:

Today there was a fistfight at the local grocery store . I didnt bother going in. Went to my local little italian deli that I have known the family for decades. They also got swarmed. They dont carry any TP or sanitizers or that stuff. Just meat, lunch meat, dry pasta, frozen homemade dinners etc.  I walked in later just before close. They were frazzled and pee’d off. Nearly all the dry pastas, all the frozen dinners, most of the lunch meats and all of the good italian bread was wiped out. They said most of the people they have never seen before. I actually only went in for some Bread but nothing. So I picked up a couple choice steaks, a ring of italian sausage, pecorino romano, locatelli and a few pounds of dry pasta they had in back. The ladies there said the people treated them like crap and talking poorly to them. People seem to be losing their minds with this thing. Hopefully it settles down a bit soon and people are stuck with their 10,000 rolls of TP and 40 cases of water. 
I went to an indoor car show the weekend before Thanksgiving. I got the worst respiratory virus I have ever had. It was brutal. This was BEFORE Wuhan was announced. It was with me until a week after New Years Day. I went to clinics as an emergency visit and then to my own doc. They just said virus at that time but not yet pneumonia. Yesterday I was at a regular doc visit and I mentioned that now after the fact I think I may have had some form of this. She said it was very likely. So I guess I may have dodged a bullet. My lungs arent the best anyway. This crap has been out there a while before China announced it. Luckily I live alone and dont think I infected anyone at the time and I was in no shape to go out anyway. Common sense will prevail here. Wash your hands. Dont touch your face and stay out of crowds. Schools, all large functions and even church has shut down. Gonna be a while we just need patience I guess. Good news is, today me and a couple buddies smoked my last 3 RJ Cazadores from about 08. Wonderful.

I work as an aircraft mechanic at CVG (Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky) airport. In the first two weeks of January myself and 5 others came down with what I believe was the worst flu I have ever had. One person I know was tested and they never officially diagnosed him.

Long story short, I've never been so sick in my life and I didn't fully recover until mid February. Most likely not coronavirus but I wonder the same thing because I work on Boeing 747 cargo freighters that fly to and from China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan.

19 hours ago, nino said:

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle.

So, to end my comments on a much ... lighter note - Mods feel free to delete this if it hurts any west..ern sensibilities .... thank you ? - it seems my buddies and I had the solution for the current global problem many years ago and we will be happy to continue practicing it ... ?

PS : Gracias Gene !

Finger.jpg.c9e2149e1fc59d184a8d420d7781628a.jpg

324590098_Finger2.thumb.jpg.075e0dc050495ccf7553d23b981044eb.jpg

653026086_Finger3.thumb.jpg.4530c59ae54e9876d883f087d7e52249.jpg

1924503868_Finger1.jpg.fedda1b8d942a18d99656919608842f1.jpg

Guys, please, in all seriousness about this situation. What are the 12 boxes of Regional Editions you have there ?

• Haha 2

Ski areas are closed in New England and many are closed across the USA for a week or the rest of the season. I had a feeling this would happen. Looks like its time to hang up the gear for the season.

I have 14 rolls of toilet paper.

I've added a useful link to the Johns Hopkins ArcGIS tracking map. My son works in GIS, he sent this link, which tracks a lot of useful details about the virus:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It's got a lot of sub-panels you can expand and toggle for different metrics. Wish we could embed the actual page here. 

image.thumb.png.ea8c0d9081946c7324475b291e8b2a55.png

• Thanks 1

I will say like the rest of the country the past week everyone went crazy stocking up on food and yes toilet paper.  However I was in the store 2 times during it being very busy (not to stock up I just needed a couple items.   Even though it was very busy and the lines were long everyone was still super courteous.  Maybe its because I live in the midwest or maybe its because nobody wanted to touch anyone ?.  I will leave everyone with this thought.  In serious times the truth always comes out and at the grocery store I was at all the colorox/chemical based wipes and sprays were almost empty.  All of the eco cleaners and wipes sat untouched ???.

• Haha 3

Scored the last of the TP this morning. Not looking to hoard, but I have 2 daughters who’s schools are shut down for the semester and a wife who teaches, so this should get them through the next couple weeks!
6d9eb11f02f220680270fb3a52810689.jpg
Got to the grocery store when they opened this morning. It looked like a scene from a disaster movie with empty shelves and products strewn though out the isles. Kind of shocking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sw15825 said:

Guys, please, in all seriousness about this situation. What are the 12 boxes of Regional Editions you have there ?

RA 898 Germany back a few years ago when they were released ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1