Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

17 hours ago, bwgan said:

Completely agree... The sun had a whole article about what you need to stockpile!!??

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Nice to see you Mike! How you doing?

I've started this afternoon not even looking at news etc anymore, first thing I saw when I got up was a great article about the govt releasing blueprints for ventilators for manufacturing companies to switch producing to, next article was a newspaper saying they might be dangerous because they won't have proper CE certification etc, what a sad state of affairs.

Someone told me that the govt has advised people to limit social media for the sake of mental health, most sensible thing I've seen in years!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

On 3/15/2020 at 5:14 PM, Ken Gargett said:

i remember what the shops/shelves looked like in russia back in 86. as a young innocent, i was stunned. such a completely different world. 

Wait a minute... YOU were young and innocent?? ? 

Our Province (Ontario) declared a State of Emergency.  We've had our first official death here as well. Our Federal gov't is still allowing border traffic from the US.  Not smart.  Logistics/goods should go through, but this isn't the time to let travellers come into the country.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nino said:

Converted the garden shed into my new isolation cigar lounge .... Or is it cell ?

With a cigar in your hand the tiniest hole can never be a 'cell', no?  :cigar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since there is so much chaos, wouldn’t it be easier to just do a mandatory “shelter in place” for 3 weeks, then you would know exactly how long you would be out of work/business, everything would be back to normal in less than a month... restaurants, bars, hotels, etc... back to business. Am I just being naive?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

Our Province (Ontario) declared a State of Emergency.  We've had our first official death here as well. Our Federal gov't is still allowing border traffic from the US.  Not smart.  Logistics/goods should go through, but this isn't the time to let travellers come into the country.  

We had a scheduled Iran Air flight land in Frankfurt yesterday - no checks, no medical controls.
Royally pissed off by this irresponsible neglicence. Criminal IMO.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-warum-landen-noch-flugzeuge-aus-iran-in-deutschland-a-cc762322-1533-4bdb-9bfe-f4a9e59dd7ac

2 minutes ago, nino said:

We had a scheduled Iran Air flight land in Frankfurt yesterday - no checks, no medical controls.

Our PM announced that our airlines are tasked with screening passengers prior to boarding. Anyone who is visibly ill, will not get on.  I doubt that will be 100% effective but it's a start.  I'm already reading accounts of people chugging cough syrups and meds to minimize their symptoms.  Iran is an unknown.  Speculation on numbers there are hundreds of thousands to a million+  Their health minister looking near death at a press conference certainly doesnt inspire things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

emoji106.png

It remains to hang the TV panel on the wall:

The LAST thing I want is a TV and having to watch the news now - but you are right, something soothing like that is OK ... ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FrancisK7 said:

The province of Quebec has been under full quarantine since last Friday, and for two weeks at least. Everything is closed. 

I'm a professional photographer. I lost 20% of my annual revenue in cancelled contracts since last Thursday. I expect to lose another 10% by Friday. With my third child due to be born in a month, the timing is catastrophic.

Thankfully I have savings and a line of credit and I will get through it. Many of my colleagues in the event, art and entertainment industry will not have that luck. 

In those industries the effects will be long lasting and absolutely devastating. 

I feel the same way for a lot of other photographers I know in those industries.  How they will survive is hard to imagine.  

Thankfully with what I shoot, this is the slow season and things dont start to pick up until end of April.  Hoping the scare will be gone by then to schedule shoots.  

2 hours ago, nino said:

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-warum-landen-noch-flugzeuge-aus-iran-in-deutschland-a-cc762322-1533-4bdb-9bfe-f4a9e59dd7ac

Outrageous . From Iran no less . May be the worst infected country outside of China .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helix said:

Outrageous . From Iran no less . May be the worst infected country outside of China .

China is more worried about importing cases than home-grown ones at this point.

2 hours ago, Deeg said:

The way I look at it, they’re all home-grown.

I remember standing in a wet market in the family village in Guangdong as a kid just shaking my head. Hopefully those guys have learned to keep their snakes, bats, and pangolins separate from now on. What a mess.

3 hours ago, Deeg said:

If the numbers they are reporting are correct?? There is also talk of businesses opening back up....I wonder if this will cause a return?

7 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

My business is diversified but everything is affected short term. We shoot and film major corporate or charity events. All those are cancelled. Will be rescheduled a year later because that how soon you need to book venues. That revenue is lost this year.

We also do many corporate gigs... was suppose to shoot 130 heads for a major bank this week, everybody is working from home for at least a month. Updating portraits will be the first projects put on backburner when things resume and companies run in liquidity issues. Unsure if and when those bookings will be rescheduled.

Thankfully, weddings account for another 25% of the business and the season remains unaffected so far, but nobody knows how long this will last...

My other big income period is September to December, so I hope things have normalized by then.

A colleague who is a major sports photographer who shoots most local NHL games and has covered all Olympics for Canada for the past 20 years is also jobless right now. First time in his career this happens.

It's crazy. 

I have the unique advantage of shooting architecture and product and my wife food.  Buildings we usually shoot during off hours and the weekends, and product/food is always in a studio.  I'm hoping this will not effect our schedules.  Most locations will still need a facility manager on site to maintain the place, but I could imagine houses being hard to get access to with people working from home.  

My wife is having a hard time find an open studio to rent, which is par for the course in NYC.  (No one owns their own studio any more.)  We are thinking about shooting it in our basement studio at home, but it is more of a personal project space not set up with a lounge for clients.  

I feel for those in the wedding/event business.  That is all lost work.  My projects will still get photographed, just a question of when.  I have to assume many couples will just get married at the court house and forego the large party.  My buddy'd buddy is doing this; his marriage cert expires mid-may, so at the very least he needs to make it official before being able to rent a space for a reception.  

15 minutes ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

There is also talk of businesses opening back up....I wonder if this will cause a return?

I can't say for China as I haven't been inside (lol) but across in Hong Kong, things are slowly getting back to normal. Taking myself as an example, work from home started late-Jan until last week, and Monday was the first day I was back in the office. 

We are indeed more worried about imported cases than home-grown ones. This is because the movement history of all known cases have been fully tracked. They do it this way - a few weeks back, one individual was confirmed with the virus. Because she was a member at a certain member's club (and accessed the clubhouse a few days prior to being diagnosed), the club trawled through all the CCTV videos during her visit, and identified every individual (staff as well as other patrons) who came close to her. The club then contacted every single one of these individuals to advise self-quarantine. I am no expert but I am sure steps like these really helps to limit the possibility of local transmission.

Now I can think of many countries where tracking of individuals to this level will cause huge uproar (human rights, privacy etc), but this tactic has been successful in local containment in HK - back during SARS, and it's now working again. In today's China, with the amount state surveillance and all? I am sure they can implement this same tactic if they committed to it.

State surveillance isn't all bad ?

• Like 2

Interesting thread that could be placed in the "good news/bad news" category.

The breakdown by age group from South Korea is especially telling.

One the one hand, this strongly suggests that the total number of infected is far higher than is being reported (which we know is true, though not the specific extent).  Of course this would mean that the mortality rate is much lower than currently reported, and that a good many people are indeed experiencing no symptoms.  This would seem to include children (in Japan they've taken to calling them "asymptomatic super-spreaders").  But the bad news is that if these numbers are accurate the majority of spread is due to asymptomatic people, which makes containment more difficult by an order of magnitude - thus bolstering the argument for lockdowns (also known as "economy killers") as the only containment strategy than has a chance to work.

The wrinkle here is that there is also speculation that some of these numbers could be driven by false positives.  Some reports out of China are guessing that as many as 50% of asymptomatic people who test positive are in fact due to false positives on the tests.  So, so much we just don't know about this thing, and we don't have the luxury to wait until we do.

• Like 1

I feel for those in the wedding/event business.  That is all lost work.  My projects will still get photographed, just a question of when.  I have to assume many couples will just get married at the court house and forego the large party.  My buddy'd buddy is doing this; his marriage cert expires mid-may, so at the very least he needs to make it official before being able to rent a space for a reception.  

Here in Ontario they have closed the court houses and I’m sure most places that haven’t done that yet will soon so, no option to get married that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ArizonaAndrew said:

City of Phoenix here has demanded all bars shutdown as of this evening. Restaurants only open to pick-up and deliveries - no dining-in. 

We are also almost sold out of bottles. Have done a month of business in two days. 

Same here in Houston and the surrounding county.

Supposedly, Best Buy is cutting hours to 10a-6p and limiting customers to 15 at a time.  Sam's is limiting to 100 at a time.  

Yesterday the German Foreign Office advises and then orders to cancel ALL flights for Germans and starts evacuating Germans worldwide via Lufthansa planes.

Today I officially cancel my HAV flight for tomorrow - which I had mentally cancelled 2 weeks ago - and receive a mail from my travel office that Condor says as their HAV flight is still scheduled to fly tomorrow there will be no refund ...

Even my travel office writes that they cannot believe it ...

They deserve to be f#kked and my travel agency found a clever way to f#kk them ...

#STAYATHOME

461478689_CondorDE2184190320.thumb.jpg.754b48917fe5e647e0f4039cfa0a0e58.jpg

Overheard 2 coworkers in the office this morning - one of them has 2 college aged kids at home who both have fevers and are "sick".....and this woman decides its a good idea to come to work??? After I made a big stink about it, they sent her home.  I swear, if the government ever ends up stepping in and mandating a lock down, it's because we are complete morons who can't be trusted to have any common sense whatsoever and we need to be saved from ourselves.

• Like 3

This is party time for the young and millennials and no one else is listening . The virus will spread as the request to social distance has already failed. This will become worst case scenario as everyone thinks they are special and cheating the request to stay the f**k home , as it does not apply to them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, helix said:

This is party time for the young and millennials and no one else is listening . The virus will spread as the request to social distance has already failed. This will become worst case scenario as everyone thinks they are special and cheating the request to stay the f**k home , as it does not apply to them.

I mean all you have to do is look through the comments in this discussion from February to see what some of the prevailing attitudes are. I'm thankful that Canada and the US are shutting the border, I wasn't expecting them to make that move for weeks. Shutting it down now is wise.

• Like 4