Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

How many people are actually having to work at home or work at home in general? Here in Ohio they have all but locked down the state but everyone in my immediate family still have to report to work everyday with the exception of my dad who technically can work from home but they have not forced anyone to do so.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

Airport staff in Guayaquil/Ecuador block the runway to prevent Iberia and KLM planes to land there - they were trying to evacuate tourists ... city mayor prohibited the landing.

I'm not sure if this is a violation of human rights or just simply funny 
Also apparently, (with a bucket of salt) China was able to report 0 new local cases today, for the first time since the start of the crisis. 
Of course this was only possible once all American journalist were expelled...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iGrizz said:

How many people are actually having to work at home or work at home in general? Here in Ohio they have all but locked down the state but everyone in my immediate family still have to report to work everyday with the exception of my dad who technically can work from home but they have not forced anyone to do so.

Early last week the company I work for announced global office closures thru the end of March (now extended to mid April). This meant a transition to WFH for roughly 1200 employees who were used to working from an office everyday. While everyone has a laptop, it's been interesting as folks have varying level of technical expertise.

32 minutes ago, helix said:

City Mayor Guayaquil gets a Darwin.

Planes were empty - only 11 crew in the Iberia plane.

Supposed to get 300 people out - NOT into the country .. sheer madness.

• Like 1

Darwin's all around to the Idiotic and selfish morons crowding the Florida beaches for spring break . They really need to hit the beaches hard and clear these idiots out of there. Water cannons and klaxon horns 120db would be appropriate .

• Haha 1

Darwin's all around to the Idiotic and selfish morons crowding the Florida beaches for spring break . They really need to hit the beaches hard and clear these idiots out of there. Water cannons and klaxon horns 120db would be appropriate .

The problem is that those idiots will spread the disease around before they get Darwined...

This is how Cuba lives its "social distancing" and the Covid outbreak ...

Pity there are no English sub-titles to this video but the guy is 150% pissed off at Cuba's gvt reaction, selling Cuba as a "safe" spot for tourists, taking in a cruise ship with Covis cases for 2 mill. US$, the lack of information, water, soap and common sense, crowded lines in front of pharmacies and overcrowded transportation plus much more...

He has only middle fingers for the president and the gvt.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, helix said:

$2 million for the ship , was wondering what the ransom amount was. OMG!! Corona Virus it is going to take off like an OZ wildfire in Havana.

Yep - "solidarity" with a 2 million US$ bill ...

BRAE1.thumb.png.f3df87a223969f7aac1f61dd0e273ca0.png

BRAE2.thumb.png.980be8657eca1a5b58337c099c92ba9e.png

On 3/15/2020 at 6:17 AM, Fugu said:

It certainly wasn't. And if it wasn't for a misunderstanding, you overhearing her "un"(-likely), the lady seems to have no clue about epidemiology.

Had you had the new SARS-CoV-2 back by mid November already, then the States had seen a very different course of spreading. You sure would be a case for further scientific investigation - you should go and have an anybody test!

(Just kidding - your infection could have been anything but certainly not Covid19!)

Who knows. It was late November after Thanksgiving until Jan 1. Whatever it was it was the most brutal thing I have been thru in decades. All upper respiratory but luckily no pneumonia. Its been here that long in my opinion. Whether thats what it was I have no idea. But pretty sure once we get a lot more tests done we are gonna see a whole lot more who have been infected . Probably a staggering amount. Doctors answer was based on no one knowing what it was then. I wish I could get an antibody test. 

I’ve always been fascinated with human reactions to these sort of things. I’m the guy eating popcorn watching and thinking. In my opinion two psychological factors dominate:

1) overconfidence. So many people are sure of their position...and that could even be confident of the middle ground!

2) Risk vs uncertainty. They’re not the same thing. For the most part, what we have been dealing with is uncertainty, something humans are not well equipped for. 

8 hours ago, Stogiepuffer said:

Of course this was only possible once all American journalist were expelled...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think all would be an exaggeration.  Furthermore I am not sure how the cold war politics between US and China (on both sides) is really helping the COVID situation at all - this should be a time of solidarity and cooperation between countries, people and governments.

A lot of chat today on news about no new cases at all in China...anyone else not buying that? Doesn't seem to make sense. USA seems to be really ramping up in cases, be safe folks!

• Like 1

My wife just forwarded me a picture of a $400 ticket from Newport Beach, CA for violating the shelter in place order. Kudos for actually enforcing things! Someone should start doing that in South Padre Island default_rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I returned last weekend from a weeklong trip to Las Vegas and L.A. (including Disneyland).  I believe I have the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, albeit one of the “mild” cases.  For about four or five days I’ve had a dry cough with blood, a sore throat, tightness in my chest, and body aches.  However, I haven’t been able to get tested as they are very limited in my area and since I don’t have a fever, I am not able to receive one.  I’ve self-quarantined myself in my home and limited contact with my wife and children.  I’ll be fine and I’m sure by the time tests are widely available, I’ll have recovered.  I just wanted to get that off my chest; I’ve been keeping this to myself so I don’t worry those around me including my friends and family.

• Like 2

By all indications it seems ,unfortunately,  the social distancing attempt in the US (elsewhere also) has failed . To much time has passed and been wasted in order to achieve the required outcome (flatten the curve) to mitigate the spread. Predictions now are of an overwhelmed healthcare system. This is what's happening in Italy. Hopefully this somehow changes.

• Like 1

This is not the case.  The benefits of social distancing take a matter of weeks to show themselves, and indeed there are early indications that it's having an impact.  It probably won't be fast enough to keep hospitals in places like NYC and Seattle from being overwhelmed, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

A lot of chat today on news about no new cases at all in China...anyone else not buying that? Doesn't seem to make sense. USA seems to be really ramping up in cases, be safe folks!

You can't report it as a "new" case if the person got it 2 weeks ago and you forgot to report it back then. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

This is not the case.  The benefits of social distancing take a matter of weeks to show themselves, and indeed there are early indications that it's having an impact.  It probably won't be fast enough to keep hospitals in places like NYC and Seattle from being overwhelmed, though.

I’m surprised we aren’t in lock down here in Seattle already. Something about economic impact I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public gym and library are closed in Korea too (non public gyms are still opened, but not crowded as before). Howver, clubs and churches aren't closed yet...

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Guest Nekhyludov
8 hours ago, cmbarton said:

I returned last weekend from a weeklong trip to Las Vegas and L.A. (including Disneyland).  I believe I have the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, albeit one of the “mild” cases.  For about four or five days I’ve had a dry cough with blood, a sore throat, tightness in my chest, and body aches.  However, I haven’t been able to get tested as they are very limited in my area and since I don’t have a fever, I am not able to receive one.  I’ve self-quarantined myself in my home and limited contact with my wife and children.  I’ll be fine and I’m sure by the time tests are widely available, I’ll have recovered.  I just wanted to get that off my chest; I’ve been keeping this to myself so I don’t worry those around me including my friends and family.

Take care of yourself brother. Hope your family is staying healthy!

My wife's mother died on Sunday, she had Myeloma (cancer of the white blood cells) for a long time.

My wife, her six sisters and brother were with her in the house in Tipperary, about 120 miles from Dublin, when she died. She had been home on palliative care for a few weeks.

Her sister from London insisted on bringing over her two kids on Sunday, they had been partying at college in the UK last week. Her husband came from South Africa, through three international airports, other nieces and nephews came from all over Ireland. I kept our two kids home here.

My wife was freaking out. On Tuesday night, there were 14 of her family around a small dinner table, from all over Ireland, Scotland, London and South Africa, while my wife kept apart in a bedroom. None of them were paying attention to my wife's concerns and all are treating her like the freak now. She feels she doesn't want to speak to any of them again, except her oldest sister who went home to Botswana before all the kids arrived. She was the only other one understanding the risk.

On Monday, one day after all the kids and husbands arrived, the Irish government asked all people arriving in the country to self-isolate for two weeks.

It was a funeral and, especially in the current conditions, emotions are heightened, but it was the last thing my wife needed after her mother died. I drove down on Wednesday after the service and brought her back, without going into the house. It'll be a while before things are patched up with her family, but they will.

There's an unexpected impact. Her sisters aren't all idiots but, for example, one of them is a nurse who was going back to work. They all should have known better.

I'm not expecting my wife to isolate now that she's home. If she has it, we have it. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to forget what her family did and how they treated her for trying to do the right thing.

• Sad 8