Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

7 hours ago, PigFish said:

Statistically X people will die this year. So the question being asked is this. Does the novel virus actually represent a case where there will be 1.xx times the nominal year death count or not?

My question is not cold, nor insensitive. It is simply exploring the data for facts about the mortality of the virus in a sea of what will be total mortality, with our without the virus.

Two crashing 737 MAX won't make a blip in any death-count chart - still, they keep planes on the ground for the investigations, with all consequences - and we are thankful for that, aren't we?

But are these truly the questions that need to be put forward in this situation?!

I think, the basic question that needs a very careful consideration and weighting is this, and this might be where Ray and Ross are really coming from: Are we choking our economics by the measures now taken in a way that it might be causing even more misery and hardship, and as such possibly even more indirect and direct deaths - or let's put it "shorten lives" - in the medium to long run? At least that's what I am concerned about. And that 'dying' will not be as obvious and dramatic, it'll come slowly and almost unnoticed in the background 'noise'.

One could be cynic and say, the majority of folks dying had lived their lives (or suggest measures to isolate just those at really high-risk, like some economists do). On the other hand, those who now lose their jobs and can't pay their bills, those entrepreneurs that have to close their businesses forever, who perhaps just invested and are now locked down, or who will take years and years to recover, if ever, those will have to carry this for a big part of their own remaining lives. Or not least the young folks that just were about to start out on their career and now don't get the job anymore they had just been looking forward to. Or if they do, then have to make do with 50% or less of their normal wages, plus will possibly have to carry with them a huge public dept by their resp. states from now on? This sure is not a non-issue either.

Still it all has to be - and I strongly trust it is being - carefully considered at the moment. Thing is, you won't gain control over the outbreak by half-hearted action. This needs a full braking at a very initial stage to be effective and to gain precious time.

Again - there isn't a simple answer.

5 hours ago, 99call said:

Good article - strongly suggest everybody take the 30 min to read.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wineguy said:

Maybe I can add a perspective as someone who tested positive for Covid 19 three days ago and has relatively minor symptoms.  I doubt I am the first on the forum to test positive i wonder why no one is coming  forth?

Get well!!!

You are indeed the first person that I know who is COVID 19 Positive. :spotlight:

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

Get well!!!

You are indeed the first person that I know who is COVID 19 Positive. :spotlight:

Thank you and it is good that it is not transmitted over the internet!  I am feeling well and very much not at risk.  But very worried about those who are...

30 minutes ago, wineguy said:

Maybe I can add a perspective as someone who tested positive for Covid 19 three days ago and has relatively minor symptoms.  I doubt I am the first on the forum to test positive i wonder why no one is coming  forth? There should be no stigma.  My experience has been like one of the more milder colds I have had in the last couple of years and am nearly symptom free at this point and actually having a bourbon.  I was traveling in Jackson Hole, Wyoming skiing with my kids and about 15 others and having a great time. When we left it was not as serious, even the subject of joke. When we came back it was not.  About 6 of us so far are sick and all have very mild symptoms.  So it seems to be a non issue for everyone involved.  However, we are all strong fit and relatively young, if we visited a parent or relative who had issues then I think we could wind up with major regrets.  I have not been out of my house for a week except for the test and won't be for nearly 2 more weeks.  I would argue that to take this seriously is to respect society and help us get back to normal faster.  Please Stay Home- and have some cigars!

my first as well.

get well. no stigma at all. and so useful to be able to read about someone with first hand knowledge/experience. 

2 hours ago, wineguy said:

I am happy to add any perspective or answer any questions you may have.  

Don't take offence but given your infection and the current world order, this thread is in lockdown

Only kidding 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My partner and i are both showing symptoms and are self quaranteening. I think in the uk at least we dont have enough tests, so unless you are in hospital they aren't testing you. Although i cant be sure, being a surveyor out and about, and my partner working retail it wouldn't surprise me if this is it.

I started with a sore throat a few days ago, and it then developed into a very slight cough. Then i had this odd tightness in my chest like breathing through a straw. I am pretty lethargic. It is hard to get the energy to get up and do anything. Also have a cramp like sensation in my legs. Some mild headache as well as dizziness.

Fortunately i am in my 30s and no medical conditions. My partner is t2 diabetic but is actually showing less symptoms than me.

At the moment its been about 3 days and whilst its shit to be in bed i dont feel bad enough to need treatment. Maybe it isnt the bug, who knows. Im generally a very well person who doesn't get ill very often. I guess i will only know once there is widespread retrospective antibody testing.

I think many people dont cone forward because if they aren't in hospital they just dont know. I have had flu in the past and this does not feel like any flu. Its a case of stay home and wait. Im more worried about my parents catching it than anything. I can see how this would hit older people very hard.

Looking forward to being able to have a cigar but that will have to wait a week or two until im sure it has passed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Here’s our current situation in the DFW Metro (population of 7,690,000). The governor of Texas has left it up to the localities to issue “shelter in place” guidelines. Dallas-Fort Worth Metro is made up of mainly 4 counties (Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton). The highest ranking official in Dallas County has issued a “shelter in place” mandate for Dallas County. The highest ranking officials in Tarrant (Fort Worth) and Denton County, a neighboring county in which I live, have issued closures of many businesses but have yet to mandate “shelter in place”. Collin County has not announced anything as of midnight tonight. We are literally in the same metroplex. The virus doesn’t care about imaginary square borders on a map. The lack of coordination is baffling. 

My wife is due on April 27th. She’s ready to pop. She’s probably the strongest woman I know next to my mom. Crazy times fellas. Thank goodness for cigars.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taco said:

My wife is due on April 27th. She’s ready to pop. She’s probably the strongest woman I know next to my mom. Crazy times fellas. Thank goodness for cigars.

All the best to the both of you! Mostly for her :D

• Thanks 1

In the next few days, my wife and I will be going over stuff in the house with the two boys (14 and 16).

We realized that if my wife and I get it and are hospitalised, they'll be on their own. They can do quite a bit and know how to take care of themselves well enough, but we can't ask anyone to come in and check up on them.

They'll need to know how to cook (they're ok at that), do laundry (not so good), clean the house and clean themselves. Set/Unset the house alarm etc. We're lucky that they generally get along and probably wouldn't kill each other. But we need to do all this without freaking them out that we might be in hospital for a while.

That realisation for me yesterday, really brought it home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Fugu said:

Two crashing 737 MAX won't make a blip in any death-count chart - still, they keep planes on the ground for the investigations, with all consequences - and we are thankful for that, aren't we?

But are these truly the questions that need to be put forward in this situation?!

I think, the basic question that needs a very careful consideration and weighting is this, and this might be where Ray and Ross are really coming from: Are we choking our economics by the measures now taken in a way that it might be causing even more misery and hardship, and as such possibly even more indirect and direct deaths - or let's put it "shorten lives" - in the medium to long run? At least that's what I am concerned about. And that 'dying' will not be as obvious and dramatic, it'll come slowly and almost unnoticed in the background 'noise'.

One could be cynic and say, the majority of folks dying had lived their lives (or suggest measures to isolate just those at really high-risk, like some economists do). On the other hand, those who now lose their jobs and can't pay their bills, those entrepreneurs that have to close their businesses forever, who perhaps just invested and are now locked down, or who will take years and years to recover, if ever, those will have to carry this for a big part of their own remaining lives. Or not least the young folks that just were about to start out on their career and now don't get the job anymore they had just been looking forward to. Or if they do, then have to make do with 50% or less of their normal wages, plus will possibly have to carry with them a huge public dept by their resp. states from now on? This sure is not a non-issue either.

Still it all has to be - and I strongly trust it is being - carefully considered at the moment. Thing is, you won't gain control over the outbreak by half-hearted action. This needs a full braking at a very initial stage to be effective and to gain precious time.

Again - there isn't a simple answer.

Good article - strongly suggest everybody take the 30 min to read.

... Bingo!

6 minutes ago, PigFish said:

@wineguy Get better amigo! 

Thank you Ray, I am feeling much better.  9 more days of quarantine.    I would imagine in a couple of days my cigar hiatus will be over but I am waiting for 100%  Tom

My wife and I question whether or not I've already had it.  I'm t1 diabetic, flu shots every year, and haven't had the flu in well over a decade.

Back in mid February I developed fatigue, a painful cough, and body aches in a very short period of time.  Went to the doctor, he didn't test me for anything and prescribed Tamiflu, stating I had the flu.  It didn't do a damn thing for me.  My cough was very dry, unproductive, and hurt like hell.  Breathing was more difficult than normal, but nothing that made me consider going to the hospital.  Fever hovered near 102° for 5-7 days.  Chills and body aches were very intense.  First two or three days were the miss intense. It felt like I slept for 5 days straight before coming to again, but only after those first few days.  10 days before I was able to test getting up and walking around and I lost 15 lbs. I should have entered the weight loss competition!!

This was during the time that China was having troubles but it wasn't known to have left the country.  That's what terrifies me about all this. We have no idea how many people are infected and not tested.  My wife never caught what I had but my son developed the same cough and low grade temp a short while later, though he recovered much faster and was not as severe.

Also what was odd was my doctor said to call them if my symptoms didn't subside after 5 days.  After 5 days my wife called them and they said give it another week and to go to the ER if it got worse.  Makes me wonder what our medical professionals knew before we did.

Again, I have no idea what I had or did not have and likely never will.  All I can tell you is it was unlike anything I've previously experienced.  I remained dizzy and weak for weeks afterward.  I am now able to run again and live my healthy lifestyle.  I am under the impression that it is amongst us to a far greater extent than we believe.

Guest Nekhyludov
33 minutes ago, FOHrty9er said:

My wife and I question whether or not I've already had it.  I'm t1 diabetic, flu shots every year, and haven't had the flu in well over a decade.

Back in mid February I developed fatigue, a painful cough, and body aches in a very short period of time.  Went to the doctor, he didn't test me for anything and prescribed Tamiflu, stating I had the flu.  It didn't do a damn thing for me.  My cough was very dry, unproductive, and hurt like hell.  Breathing was more difficult than normal, but nothing that made me consider going to the hospital.  Fever hovered near 102° for 5-7 days.  Chills and body aches were very intense.  First two or three days were the miss intense. It felt like I slept for 5 days straight before coming to again, but only after those first few days.  10 days before I was able to test getting up and walking around and I lost 15 lbs. I should have entered the weight loss competition!!

This was during the time that China was having troubles but it wasn't known to have left the country.  That's what terrifies me about all this. We have no idea how many people are infected and not tested.  My wife never caught what I had but my son developed the same cough and low grade temp a short while later, though he recovered much faster and was not as severe.

Also what was odd was my doctor said to call them if my symptoms didn't subside after 5 days.  After 5 days my wife called them and they said give it another week and to go to the ER if it got worse.  Makes me wonder what our medical professionals knew before we did.

Again, I have no idea what I had or did not have and likely never will.  All I can tell you is it was unlike anything I've previously experienced.  I remained dizzy and weak for weeks afterward.  I am now able to run again and live my healthy lifestyle.  I am under the impression that it is amongst us to a far greater extent than we believe.

Sounds like it was pretty miserable, but I'm glad to hear that you're recovered. At some point in the future, when this is largely behind us, I hope someone is able to do some population-level screening for antibodies to COVID-19 to determine how many actually were infected. Otherwise we'll never know how many had it and weren't tested.

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Community spread has begun in Boise. People are still going about their daily lives, like nothing's wrong. ?

Seen an article this morn about the idiots in southern Cal crowding the beaches and all up on the boardwalk at Huntington beach.

Sorry southern cal brethren but that's just jacked up and sideways outta shape. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/us/california-stay-at-home-beach-goers/index.html 

5 hours ago, wineguy said:

Thank you Ray, I am feeling much better.  9 more days of quarantine.    I would imagine in a couple of days my cigar hiatus will be over but I am waiting for 100%  Tom

I am not trying to pry here but I am curious if chloroquine was discussed by your doctor. If I am pushing the envelope, I will understand if you don't wish to answer.

Take care. -Ray

UK now in lockdown.   On the plus side it seems my hillbilly neighbours (and their feral kids) seem to be self isolating at a different address.........thank the sweet Lord

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I am not trying to pry here but I am curious if chloroquine was discussed by your doctor. If I am pushing the envelope, I will understand if you don't wish to answer.

Take care. -Ray

HI Ray,

I was his first case and and he was going to do some research and get back to me.  For me it was very short lived ( a few days)and if Covid was not around I wouldn't have even considered that I needed to call my Doctor.  My daughter and another friend had a very similar experience.  I think that may be one of the real issues here is that people feel just fine and and go about their business until they sicken someone who can't handle it......

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 99call said:

UK now in lockdown.          

I doubt we will be too far behind you.  They closed the state yesterday so travel in and out (by car or plane) is done. restaurants/bars/clubs/etal...done