Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

Today our Province (Ontario) decreed that all non-essential business must shut down (Full list of what tomorrow).  Our city also declared a State of Emergency. Both of these grant some special powers to both levels, which will seriously decrease our freedoms. Up next, is the Federal,  Emergency Measures Act (formerly known as the War Measures Act). This is akin to Martial Law.  If you had trouble staying in your home before.  This one will do the trick.  :(  Drastic, but most likely necessary. Especially since footage of yahoos partying up at after hours clubs surfaced online.  People are not getting the social distancing message. 

• Like 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

On 3/22/2020 at 3:38 PM, El Presidente said:

You won't convince some people.

Body bags to the wazoo or exhausted medical staff begging for help simply doesn't resonate.

What I would like .gov to do is run PSAs showing a young person hooked up to a ventilator in the hospital.

Then have the alarms go off and nurses and doctors running into the room.

Voiceover:  "Anyone can get seriously ill from this virus.   Anyone."

The messaging about "risk to old people" is bringing out the worst in some young people--in fact we are all in this together.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, db13 said:

I have a very similar story with my wife and 1 year old who only showed a running nose and the occasional sneeze as symptoms. This all occured about 3-4 weeks ago. I think this virus has been around a lot longer than government wants to admit. And given the track record I'm not surprised in the least.

i rather doubt this but having said that, i remember cancelling a video or two with rob as i had a miserable flu earlier this year - summer flu, very rare for me. not bad. just miserable and bad enough. not confined to bed. 

so i am wondering? but then i can't imagine where i caught it. so who knows.

i did see that a decision was made a few months ago to withdraw the american disease expert from the CDC who worked in china with the chinese to monitor exactly this sort of thing. had they still been in place, word about this could have been out far, far earlier. who knows how many lives around the world might have been saved? talk about unfortunate timing. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

i rather doubt this but having said that, i remember cancelling a video or two with rob as i had a miserable flu earlier this year - summer flu, very rare for me. not bad. just miserable and bad enough. not confined to bed. 

You also suffer from hypochondria    :D

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, db13 said:

I have a very similar story with my wife and 1 year old who only showed a running nose and the occasional sneeze as symptoms. This all occured about 3-4 weeks ago. I think this virus has been around a lot longer than government wants to admit. And given the track record I'm not surprised in the least.

Based on what I have learned and that they don't test those with symptoms who were exposed to someone who tested positive I think we are at least 10X the case count in the US and likely higher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

Seen an article this morn about the idiots in southern Cal crowding the beaches and all up on the boardwalk at Huntington beach.

Sorry southern cal brethren but that's just jacked up and sideways outta shape. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/us/california-stay-at-home-beach-goers/index.html 

CA government sent kind of a weird message by telling everyone they should still get out and wander around for exercise.

31 minutes ago, JohnS said:

@wineguy, I'm sorry to hear of your illness my friend, yet at that same time I'm encouraged that you are well enough to log onto the forum to keep us updated as to how you are going.

Hi John,  Thank you my friend, I am 95% or maybe better.  I have no worries about myself just those who are not as strong.  Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bpm32 said:

CA government sent kind of a weird message by telling everyone they should still get out and wander around for exercise.

I understand that and people should still get some exercise just not on a crowded boardwalk or beach.  Common sense must prevail in these times.  Maybe a stick person drawing of what social distancing actually means might help. ?

:unknown:

5 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

As of tonight, midnight, the whole province of Quebec will be shutting down for three weeks. Except for essential services, everybody is to stay home until April 13th, when the hope is to resume economic life. School year is over though.

Seriously... one year ago the worse thing about my life was the Game of Thrones finale... who would have thought.  

To be fair, that finale was pretty awful.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I don't know who this is in the video - completely unverified source. I also have not separately fact-checked any part of this video. I think this video was taken quite a few weeks back, before all the travel restrictions kicked into place.

I'm still sharing this because what is being shown actually corresponds closely to my (limited) knowledge of both countries' cultures. (I've only been to Shanghai and NZ one time each). 

Objectively speaking, containment measures are essential and all governments need to take it seriously to protect their residents and naturally by extension, this will help the world.

• Thanks 3

@Meklown

Thanks for posting that video - shows how China handles the crisis seriously.

I did a little search and it seems the clip is from last week. Here is an interview with the guy who did the video Andy Boreham from NZ :

• Like 1

In Philly, we are in a shelter in place mode starting as of yesterday with no end in site.  Currently I think this is appropriate, but I give it a week before people start breaking it.  

Some may say greed, desperation and stupidity would be at work; I'd say it's just human nature.  Telling people they need to shut down their lives indefinitely and then act with indignation towards anyone who asks for how long is just not practical, especially if death is not at the doorstep.  

Personally I think if government gave a real definitive timeframe, even if they floated the possibility of needing to extend it at the end, would lead to better results and a longer period of people paying attention to it.  

Not giving an end date will lead more people to breaking the rules earlier.  Add to that that at a certain point in time the risk of not working will be greater then the risk of getting the virus for most people and this will break down sooner then later without definitive guides.  

• Like 2

In Philly, we are in a shelter in place mode starting as of yesterday with no end in site.  Currently I think this is appropriate, but I give it a week before people start breaking it.  
Some may say greed, desperation and stupidity would be at work; I'd say it's just human nature.  Telling people they need to shut down their lives indefinitely and then act with indignation towards anyone who asks for how long is just not practical, especially if death is not at the doorstep.  
Personally I think if government gave a real definitive timeframe, even if they floated the possibility of needing to extend it at the end, would lead to better results and a longer period of people paying attention to it.  
Not giving an end date will lead more people to breaking the rules earlier.  Add to that that at a certain point in time the risk of not working will be greater then the risk of getting the virus for most people and this will break down sooner then later without definitive guides.  
Give it a couple of weeks and death will be on the doorstep. By then everyone will know someone who is infected. That should shock people into staying at home.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Say what you will about China, but when they want to contain something, they go all out. More countries should take heed.

Spock was right, "The good of the many, outweigh the good of the few".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are some positive cases after returning from USA in Korea today. This made me shocked since I saw the exact same case few days ago (UK to Korea)

So Far In Korea #1

For gyms, some of them aren't still closed, but they restrict taking shower, renting workout clothes, etc without reducing fee when Korean government enforces stricter principles on crowded areas like church. Guess that I have to exercise in home for while...
So Far In Korea #2

10 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

I think the issue is that this is an incredibly fluid situation. Actions taken today will take 2-3 weeks to manifest . Governments can't give anything beyond a sit tight and see.

Behavioural sciences are having a big role in decisions too, it's thought that if lock downs were put in right away then people would get bored too quickly and start venturing out during the critical transmission phase (The next 3 weeks or so). People need easing into it. I'm sure when the time is right there will be a well publicised skull cracking on a well-deserving knuckledragger then a long custodial sentence and people will get the message.

18 minutes ago, 7kingsguy said:

Give it a couple of weeks and death will be on the doorstep. By then everyone will know someone who is infected. That should shock people into staying at home.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Although I certainly agree that many more people will die in the USA this week and will scare everyone to listen for a time, I don't think in this case it will extend that period that much longer.  All of the data is showing that over 99% of those who succumb to this are those with underlying health issues or the elderly (who nearly 100% of have underlying issues).  Of course there are exceptions, but they mainly appear to be just that, exceptions.  

As more and more celebrities and politicians get this and survive, most people are going to weigh the risks of catching the virus being less for themselves and their families then noting having income.  Add to that that experts are saying up to 80% of the population may need to catch this, and people will get into the mode of better now then later. 

At that point in time, nothing the government can say or do will hold people back.  It may take longer in some countries then others.  

I think we need to start thinking about protecting the elderly and sick while assuming people are going to get back to their lives.  

I might add that economic damage is not always recoverable.  I fully expect the rate of suicides and drug overdoses to increase during this period, most due to loosing your job or business.  Family separations, prostitution (to make ends meat) and other vice crimes are likely to increase as well.  

7 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

Although I certainly agree that many more people will die in the USA this week and will scare everyone to listen for a time, I don't think in this case it will extend that period that much longer.  All of the data is showing that over 99% of those who succumb to this are those with underlying health issues or the elderly (who nearly 100% of have underlying issues).  Of course there are exceptions, but they mainly appear to be just that, exceptions.  

As more and more celebrities and politicians get this and survive, most people are going to weigh the risks of catching the virus being less for themselves and their families then noting having income.  Add to that that experts are saying up to 80% of the population may need to catch this, and people will get into the mode of better now then later. 

At that point in time, nothing the government can say or do will hold people back.  It may take longer in some countries then others.  

I think we need to start thinking about protecting the elderly and sick while assuming people are going to get back to their lives.  

I might add that economic damage is not always recoverable.  I fully expect the rate of suicides and drug overdoses to increase during this period, most due to loosing your job or business.  Family separations, prostitution (to make ends meat) and other vice crimes are likely to increase as well.  

Domestic violence is also expected to rise significantly.