Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

Just now, SigmundChurchill said:

The COVID-19 symptoms we see most often are dry cough and fever.  Sore throat is common too.  Not a whole lot of sneezing though.

That's the thing. I have a tightness in the chest, a wheezing cough, running a bit of a temperature, but no sore throat (a bit of phlegm), no loss of smell/taste, a bit of a runny nose.

I don't qualify for testing here as I have not traveled overseas recently, or come into contact with anyone I know who has recently returned, I am not in aged or health care, and I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed as having coronavirus.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

23 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

That's the thing. I have a tightness in the chest, a wheezing cough, running a bit of a temperature, but no sore throat (a bit of phlegm), no loss of smell/taste, a bit of a runny nose.

I don't qualify for testing here as I have not traveled overseas recently, or come into contact with anyone I know who has recently returned, I am not in aged or health care, and I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed as having coronavirus.

You should get tested for the flu then.  We are finding very few people have both at the same time, so if you have the flu, it is very unlikely you have coronavirus.

13 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

You should get tested for the flu then.  We are finding very few people have both at the same time, so if you have the flu, it is very unlikely you have coronavirus.

Thanks. Testing for the flu over here is as strict as testing for Covid-19. They will only test if you meet certain criteria.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ken Gargett said:

i suspect that there were very very few people, experts or not, calling for an immediate and full lockdown day one

I recently realised that the lockdown in Wuhan started when there were around 500 reported cases, somewhere around 3 weeks into the start of the infection. I guess almost everyone here can agree that is a draconian measure, and when China wants to be draconian, they get draconian. Whatever we think about the number of reported cases in China (then, and now), I think that we can also agree that it was pretty quick/decisive action from the top. I am sure that this action lead to lives saved - how many, I don't know, and don't care. Industries in China are being ordered to return to normal now (PMI is back in expansion territory).

Take care everyone, there will be an end to this, no matter whether you see it now or not.

10 hours ago, nino said:

because billionaires never lie?

seriously, if i had a dollar for every "absolutely true and here is the compelling evidence" theory i have heard, i could afford to smoke good cigars for a change (my fave, which the person sending it to me, insists is absolutely true - and this person normally not a fruitbat but actually would be the leading practitioner in their area in australia and yes, it is not medicine - would have me kicked off the forum so fast by both sides. i would have said you could not make it up, but apparently you can). 

mind you, i am in the camp that doubts we have reliable figures out of china. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CigSid said:

We have some very good friends in China confirming that the death toll in Wuhan is way above 45000, and that it started in November of 2019... It is still very bad in parts of China, but we will never know how bad.... They say they definitely lied and covered up this virus, and no doubt facilitated many “avoidable” deaths around the world. 

If the test figures say one thing and I announce another, I am lying. If I restrict the number of tests and announce to the world that I'm not testing fully, I am not lying. Both are, in my honest opinion, wrong. 

If there were solid evidence of the virus starting earlier, I believe some foreign governments/WHO would have pointed it out by now. Then again, I am not sure if the exact cause can be determined (to a single point of origin). 

I feel that many foreign governments took too long to respond - doesn't matter whether China lied or not, other countries had more than a month from when Wuhan locked down before it hit any other country seriously. No quarantines on arrival, no increase in production of medical equipment. 

While not absolving others of their faults, I feel that we are always too quick to blame others before looking at ourselves. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Meklown said:

If the test figures say one thing and I announce another, I am lying. If I restrict the number of tests and announce to the world that I'm not testing fully, I am not lying. Both are, in my honest opinion, wrong. 

If there were solid evidence of the virus starting earlier, I believe some foreign governments/WHO would have pointed it out by now. Then again, I am not sure if the exact cause can be determined (to a single point of origin). 

I feel that many foreign governments took too long to respond - doesn't matter whether China lied or not, other countries had more than a month from when Wuhan locked down before it hit any other country seriously. No quarantines on arrival, no increase in production of medical equipment. 

While not absolving others of their faults, I feel that we are always too quick to blame others before looking at ourselves. 

Bingo.

Some countries did, in fact, take advantage of that time (as the WHO was urging everyone to do).  Not many, but a few.  And they're reaping the benefits of it now.  They'll have their flare-ups too, but they're going to be much better-positioned to weather the storm.

12 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Okay, well I'm kinda annoyed. I've picked up a virus, pretty sure it isn't Covid-19 as my symptoms are somewhat different, but a cold or flu virus nonetheless.

Bad time to pick up a virus (well, there never really is a good time), but with Covid-19 flying around, you're never sure if it is or isn't.

Do you have any idea how you got it?  Have you been isolated the last couple of weeks?  

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

because billionaires never lie?

seriously, if i had a dollar for every "absolutely true and here is the compelling evidence" theory i have heard, i could afford to smoke good cigars for a change (my fave, which the person sending it to me, insists is absolutely true - and this person normally not a fruitbat but actually would be the leading practitioner in their area in australia and yes, it is not medicine - would have me kicked off the forum so fast by both sides. i would have said you could not make it up, but apparently you can). 

mind you, i am in the camp that doubts we have reliable figures out of china. 

@Ken Gargett I am sure billionaires do lie like anyone else.

But I am sure this guy has better insight on Chinese affairs than most of us do.

I asked a good and serious friend there for his opinion and this is what he wrote back :

That guy is Guo Wengui, exiled billionaire from PRC.

He has kind of high-end insider information FOR YEARS.

Lots of events he exposed or predicted before, truly happened... he knows something.

Truly hope the western world know wtf is really going on and see through the propaganda and responds quickly.

10 hours ago, nino said:

@Ken Gargett I am sure billionaires do lie like anyone else.

But I am sure this guy has better insight on Chinese affairs than most of us do.

I asked a good and serious friend there for his opinion and this is what he wrote back :

That guy is Guo Wengui, exiled billionaire from PRC.

He has kind of high-end insider information FOR YEARS.

Lots of events he exposed or predicted before, truly happened... he knows something.

Truly hope the western world know wtf is really going on and see through the propaganda and responds quickly.

Not sure about the credibility of the guy, but the maths simply don't make sense to me. 400k incinerators? 12m deaths a day? 360m deaths within a month? Even a population the size of China will feel that impact! 

15 hours ago, CigSid said:

You want solid evidence? Here you go:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-patients-zero-contracted-case-november-2020-3

Its also common knowledge that the director of the WHO “may” not have his position if it was not for China. (A simple internet search gives overwhelming evidence) Here is just one:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/03/23/top-who-official-won-election-with-chinas-help-now-hes-running-interference-for-china-on-coronavirus/

I also agree with your comment about many foreign governments took too long to respond.

Again, I am just relating information that was given to me by credible sources in China (2 doctors and 3 other health care workers), which can also be backed up by recent facts being uncovered...

Thanks for the business insider article, but within 1 article it states several different research teams and several different dates (with no confirmation that Nov was definitely the earliest date). I agree that Dec 31 wouldn't be the first case but I think this article isn't able to tell the full story. 

Whereas for the Daily Signal, forgive me as this is the first time I am visiting this website - looks very much like Western propaganda against China (with dubious references within their article). This is not to say China was perfect. They made plenty of mistakes and lied about it. But I think it would be beneficial if we avoid the politically charged agendas (both Western and Chinese) and instead focus on the real issues at hand together. 

Now for my own speculation - please don't quote me on anything below

I noticed a lot of comments saying the Chinese government covered the early cases up/silenced doctors etc. It's important to understand China's governing system before jumping to conclusions. To put it simply, like any other big country, there are local governors managing on behalf of the Central government. Now, a lot of speculation says that covid19 originated from wild animals. Sales of wild animals are (officially) banned in China, but not enforced properly. If, as a local governor, I found out a virus was spreading due to my lack of enforcement of sale of wild animals, I guess I would try to cover it up as much as possible? Not fearing the actual virus (because I don't know the full dangers of the virus), but fearing for my own life/job etc. Of course, when the central government caught wind, they came in and announced to the WHO, etc. It would be important in this case to differentiate the roles and actors in this scenario, and the conflicting agendas and fears. It is too easy and dangerous to generalise "Chinese government". 

Again, speculation on my part, as I don't know what really happened! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am looking forward to the world getting past the worst of its current dilemmas and turning its attention to the role of the WHO

They are going to be beaten like a pinata.

"From criticising travel bans and repeating China's claims in mid-January that the virus cannot be transmitted between humans, to blindly accepting the regime's likely fake statistics, the WHO and Dr Tedros have consistently toed the line of the Communist regime

The WHO declined to classify the new coronavirus a pandemic until March 11, when there were already more than 120,000 confirmed cases throughout 114 countries and nearly 4400 deaths."

I think the last few years have really shown the end of the international bodies. We always joked about the UN etc but look back even not long ago when Kofi Annan was at the head; there was still a singular voice that did seem to cut through whatever major issue arose. Most countries ignored it or paid lip service but it was still there. Now? I couldn't even name the new secretary general and I like to keep abreast of these things. I don't even recall anything from the UN on Corona.

The WTO has shown that it's deeply undermined to the core and can be influenced right up to the very top by any nation with the will/ability to do so.

Both organisations have gone down the League of Nations road. It was a commonly used insult a decade ago about them, maybe self fulfilling prophecy.

There's been a growing vacuum on the international stage for a long time now, it was only a matter of time until more sinister elements crept in. 

It has a glossy veneer but the international stage is just gang culture, the biggest gang sets the rules. At the moment no one knows who is the big dog and it's showing in an walks of life

That was a lot more than I was planning to tap out over some toast :spotlight:

• Like 4

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but in yesterday’s Bloomberg, there was an article saying that classified intelligence reports say that the Chinese did in fact, cover up the actual number of cases as well as the actual number of deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am looking forward to the world getting past the worst of its current dilemmas and turning its attention to the role of the WHO

They are going to be beaten like a pinata.

"From criticising travel bans and repeating China's claims in mid-January that the virus cannot be transmitted between humans, to blindly accepting the regime's likely fake statistics, the WHO and Dr Tedros have consistently toed the line of the Communist regime

The WHO declined to classify the new coronavirus a pandemic until March 11, when there were already more than 120,000 confirmed cases throughout 114 countries and nearly 4400 deaths."

Not to mention their bias against Taiwan for example, because maybe just maybe China don't likey Taiwan so much. W.H.O. assistant director Bruce Aylward gave an interview to Hong Kong media... The reporter asked him about the struggles in Taiwan. First he pretends he didn't hear. Then she asks again. He says I didn't hear you but let's move onto another question. (Why another question if you didn't hear what she just said.) He hangs up the Skype call. They dial him back and when she asks about Taiwan yet again he cuts the interview short, and replies we already spoke about China. 

Lots of policy makers, governors, and mayors forget there's this thing called the internet. People have nothing but time on their hands and you can find all of them saying this was nothing back in Feb and March. Including the WHO telling the world this wasn't transmitted human to human. That's not propaganda... It's on WHO Twitter feed dated January 14th 2020 @ 7:18 am Eastern. 

IMHO the World Health Organization should look after the World's health a little harder. 

• Like 2

There seems to be a lot of finger pointing going on.  

Im from the UK, and I'm more than happy to accept all the terrible failures of my government, and the things they've gotten right.  But apart from Taiwan and South Korea, I think the majority of us should not be concerned what other countries got wrong........but rather how our own countries could improve.   

We need to learn from this, and yes there is definitely a case for massive failures from China......but it's pretty pathetic that some countries are criticising China for delay and deception, when they in turn do exactly the same thing. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Each country has a role in the failure.

Yes, 

We are so focused on moving forward at an exponential rate,   and understandably it comes as quite an unfamiliar and uncomfortable feeling to hit reverse,  but like a crap bit of Bruce Lee Haiku. "Sometimes backwards, is forwards"

This modern.... previously accepted ethos of "just in time" product delivery, and businesses operating on the knife edge of growth and decline,  I hope that in the post-corona19 landscape, that it's seen as an unsustainable and dangerous way of doing business.     Very hard to prepare for such a thing, but doing nothing is not acceptable.       It has happened in the past, it is happening now, and it will happen in the future. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 99call said:

There seems to be a lot of finger pointing going on.  

Im from the UK, and I'm more than happy to accept all the terrible failures of my government, and the things they've gotten right.  But apart from Taiwan and South Korea, I think the majority of us should not be concerned what other countries got wrong........but rather how our own countries could improve.   

We need to learn from this, and yes there is definitely a case for massive failures from China......but it's pretty pathetic that some countries are criticising China for delay and deception, when they in turn do exactly the same thing. 

I tend to think that the delays in the west were due to denial and normalcy bias rather than any bad motives. What happened with China and how they manipulated the WHO is a different matter entirely.

• Like 1