Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

23 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I have seen my share of false negatives.  It is fairly common.  I hope it really is a true negative, but given her specific symptoms, she needs to still be careful.  

Thanks. Yes still being careful and she is off till a few days with no symptoms of any kind.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, helix said:

My nephew stocks shelves in a huge Maxi food grocery store he's scared shitless but puts in 50 hours a week. Soldier.

Deserves danger pay in these times. The amount of abuse (both physical and verbal) you see grocery store workers copping is ridiculous. Like they are at fault for the shortages or the social distancing imposed.

In NSW we have recently passed a $5000 fine (plus a possible 6mth jail sentence vacation at the State''s luxurious private hotel) for anyone spitting or coughing at all workers, not just health care and police. A disgusting act before all this mess, now even more so. Human decency has been thrown out the window.

2 hours ago, alloy said:

And the liquor store employees also! Can't forget these troopers!

Liquor stores are colloquially called bottle shops here in Aus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good news for BOTL

Low incidence of daily active tobacco smoking in patients with symptomatic COVID-19

Conclusions and relevance: Our cross sectional study in both COVID-19 out- and inpatients strongly suggests that daily smokers have a very much lower probability of developing symptomatic or severe SARS-CoV-2 infection as compared to the general population. 

Daily smokers are individuals reporting daily smoking or reporting a daily frequency of the number of cigarettes (manufactured or rolled) or other tobacco products (cigars, cigarillos, pipe, shisha). The quantities of tobacco smoked were calculated using the following equivalences: 1 cigar = 1 cigarillo = 2 cigarettes.

Because this is a cross-sectional study, we cannot confirm the causality of this association. We cannot also identify which of the many compounds of tobacco exerts the protective effect of smoking on COVID-19. There are however, sufficient scientific data to suggest that smoking protection is likely to be mediated by nicotine. SARS-CoV2 is known to use the angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor for cell entry[14-16], and there is evidence that nicotine modulates ACE2 expression[17]which could in turn modulate the nicotinic acetyl choline receptor

Buy some lifesaving cigars at FoH ?

On 4/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, Habana Mike said:

So Georgia is opening up salons Friday and restaurants next Monday. Be interesting to see if we have another spike.

I'm staying in a little longer.

Oh, and 1000 posts in here!

US...800K plus confirmed and sadly 45K plus dead.....What could possibly go wrong in the peach state ?  Last I looked 20K plus confirmed and 800 plus sadly dead and their numbers are showing no decline.  Could it all just be a dream and we haven't woke up yet ?

:unknown:

• Confused 1

US...800K plus confirmed and sadly 45K plus dead.....What could possibly go wrong in the peach state   Last I looked 20K plus confirmed and 800 plus sadly dead and their numbers are showing no decline.  Could it all just be a dream and we haven't woke up yet 

Heres something to lose sleep over. Apparently the virus mutates more than we thought and it may affect lethality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-new-study-finds-625333/amp

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, 7kingsguy said:

Heres something to lose sleep over. Apparently the virus mutates more than we thought and it may affect lethality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-new-study-finds-625333/amp

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't want to sound like I'm a really smart person, but I am, I get this stuff. ?  I'm not even a doctor but maybe I should have been.  I mean, what do you have to lose, just take the stuff. ?  It could be like it was sent from heaven. ? We have plenty of tests, millions.  Anyone who wants a test can get a test. ?

Now back to your regular scheduled show......?

I did see that and actually made the suggestion a few weeks back to my lockdown girlfriend, roomate, work cohort, sleeping partner, person I get to yell at for absolutely no reason at all, that I thought there may be different (i called them strengths) effecting people in different ways.

16 hours ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Good news for BOTL

Low incidence of daily active tobacco smoking in patients with symptomatic COVID-19

Conclusions and relevance: Our cross sectional study in both COVID-19 out- and inpatients strongly suggests that daily smokers have a very much lower probability of developing symptomatic or severe SARS-CoV-2 infection as compared to the general population. 

Daily smokers are individuals reporting daily smoking or reporting a daily frequency of the number of cigarettes (manufactured or rolled) or other tobacco products (cigars, cigarillos, pipe, shisha). The quantities of tobacco smoked were calculated using the following equivalences: 1 cigar = 1 cigarillo = 2 cigarettes.

Because this is a cross-sectional study, we cannot confirm the causality of this association. We cannot also identify which of the many compounds of tobacco exerts the protective effect of smoking on COVID-19. There are however, sufficient scientific data to suggest that smoking protection is likely to be mediated by nicotine. SARS-CoV2 is known to use the angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor for cell entry[14-16], and there is evidence that nicotine modulates ACE2 expression[17]which could in turn modulate the nicotinic acetyl choline receptor

Buy some lifesaving cigars at FoH ?

If the study’s conclusions are correct, and that is a big IF, then while nicotine might make one less susceptible to severe disease, I can tell you from personal experience, that people with COPD who DO have severe disease, die very quickly.  The ones that actually make it to the hospital alive, usually only last a day or less on the ventilator, compared to others who last 1-3 weeks.

5 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

If the study’s conclusions are correct, and that is a big IF, then while nicotine might make one less susceptible to severe disease, I can tell you from personal experience, that people with COPD who DO have severe disease, die very quickly.  The ones that actually make it to the hospital alive, usually only last a day or less on the ventilator, compared to others who last 1-3 weeks.

My mother in law has very bad COPD. She is just holed up, not seeing anyone, completely self isolating.

• Like 1

It appears in BC we are seeing the curve flattening and the efforts by all, show the resulting stats;

COVID-19 deaths per million residents

Of every jurisdiction in the United States, Canada and western Europe with more than five million people, B.C. has the fewest deaths adjusted for population.

New York
New Jersey
Belgium
Spain
Italy
Massachusetts
France
Michigan
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Sweden
Switzerland
Quebec
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Colorado
Indiana
Washington
Georgia
Portugal
Denmark
Germany
Ohio
Austria
Ontario
Florida
Virginia
Wisconsin
Missouri
California
Minnesota
Arizona
Norway
South Carolina
North Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Czech Republic
British Columbia
Numbers accurate as of April 24, based on 2019 or 2020 population estimates
Chart: Justin McElroy
CBCNEWS_logo-01.png

datawrapper.gif?r=Be kind, be safe and be calm is the motto here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-new-normal-activities-social-anxiety-1.5544951

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ , you always knew it would come down to the all mighty dollar . So here we are after all this social distancing , science , Dr. Fauci ,it comes down to whether or not you can afford to STFH or have to head out in search of work after eating your last potato.

Politicians are throwing society to the wolves, and, lets see who's still around in a year. Lord help us all.

I my town, there are over confirmed 1,000 corona virus cases with 33 deaths.  That's more cases than the whole state of Maine! 

I wonder what the real count of infected in my town are?  For sure we know how many died, but infected???  Who really knows.

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I my town, there are over confirmed 1,000 corona virus cases with 33 deaths.  That's more cases than the whole state of Maine! 

I wonder what the real count of infected in my town are?  For sure we know how many died, but infected???  Who really knows.

There's been a decent looking formula going round from that seems to hold some water to it.

Take the number of deaths a country is showing and add 30% to it for deaths outside of hospitals (Care homes, deaths at home etc).

UK has just started adding these 'community deaths' to their stats and it's roughly following this rule. I think only Belgium is currently adding these to their stats right now too. This probably isn't down to malicious reasons, those two nations simply have some of the fastest, most frequent and in depth death data registration systems.

Eg the day before yesterday, the Italian stats agency ISTAT only just released their data for March. It showed 25,000 excess deaths and around double the amount previously linked to COVID19. Again it's following roughly this "add 30%" rule.

Mortality rate still seems to be around 1% of those infected so take your recorded deaths, add 30% for true death figure and that number is also giving you roughly 1% of the total number of infected. 

So UK having 23,000 dead last week then added their community deaths which took it to around 30,000 deaths. Estimated infected would be probably around 3 million, which is also around current estimates.

• Thanks 1

This is still part 1 of the Covid19 pandemic and the only tool , social distancing cannot be sustained much longer .

USA 40+ states are preceding with an opening that is probably going to cause the Virus rates to spin out of control .  Quebec wants to start sending kids back to school next week, such madness , it has highest infection and mortality rates in the country and sharply climbing.  

Laurie Garrett, a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist who has written about public health for years has some very sobering opinion's on where we are heading . 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-prediction-laurie-garrett.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s pretty awful near me. NJ right outside NYC. I know people who have passed. People I work with have been infected. We’ve been quarantined since late March and there’s no sign of it ending any time soon as it was just extended another month the other day. At this point I just track my shipping and wait to smoke my daily cigar after working from home all day. 

11 hours ago, helix said:

This is still part 1 of the Covid19 pandemic and the only tool , social distancing cannot be sustained much longer .

USA 40+ states are preceding with an opening that is probably going to cause the Virus rates to spin out of control .  Quebec wants to start sending kids back to school next week, such madness , it has highest infection and mortality rates in the country and sharply climbing.  

Laurie Garrett, a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist who has written about public health for years has some very sobering opinion's on where we are heading . 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/opinion/sunday/coronavirus-prediction-laurie-garrett.html

Pulled a really insightful quote out of that, it probably sums up the shift that will be taking place.

So, I asked, is “back to normal,” a phrase that so many people cling to, a fantasy?

“This is history right in front of us,” Garrett said. “Did we go ‘back to normal’ after 9/11? No. We created a whole new normal. We securitized the United States. We turned into an antiterror state. And it affected everything. We couldn’t go into a building without showing ID and walking through a metal detector, and couldn’t get on airplanes the same way ever again. That’s what’s going to happen with this.”

Less of the anti-terror state, but certainly set up to fight against transmission of disease. International travel, offices, restaurants, sporting events etc I think will have a similar level of screening and planning applied. 

Probably a good time to get into the insurance business!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, helix said:

Thank you for the link - I subscribe the NYT and found the article and information very valuable and, being in the airline industry in 2001, quite accurate.

"New normal" is what will be with us a looong time ... sadly.

• Like 1

I can only back this up with my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If things don't go back to "normal" soon, there's going to much worse problems than getting corona virus. Millions out of work... meat processing facilities closed, farms unable to harvest crops, food shortages, people flat out going crazy from being locked in their house for so long (I'm almost there myself!)

There has to be a point where keeping things closed is worse than the virus spreading, and I feel that tipping point is very near.

Just my opinion based on how I see things progressing. It wasn't long ago myself, and many others, thought this entire thing was a hoax!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12:25 AM in NYC and I'm dealing with burglary alarms.  This doesn't happen "normally."  Idiots out there just trying to take advantage.  Got police on site and I'm sitting here bored.  Nothing happened, but someone tried to break in and a report has to be filed. We're in the middle of manhattan, so this usually would never happen.