Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

3 hours ago, prodigy said:

I can only back this up with my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If things don't go back to "normal" soon, there's going to much worse problems than getting corona virus. Millions out of work... meat processing facilities closed, farms unable to harvest crops, food shortages, people flat out going crazy from being locked in their house for so long (I'm almost there myself!)

There has to be a point where keeping things closed is worse than the virus spreading, and I feel that tipping point is very near.

Just my opinion based on how I see things progressing. It wasn't long ago myself, and many others, thought this entire thing was a hoax!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agree people are reaching a breaking point.

Certain infrastructure needs to remain viable. Can't imagine how things will turn if people can't get basic necessities. 

Not talking toilet paper, if the food supplies deteriorate so will the society.

Can't say I am sure it is lucky, I can say our state Georgia has taken a stance to reopen businesses the last week or so. Anxious to see how that works out.

It's possible that with the observance of proper measures there may not be a huge uptick of new cases but it remains to be seen.

Stay safe and well y'all....

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

Oof.

Kuwait just ordered a 100% curfew lock-down until 30May. If you have to go out you will need to apply for a permit from the MOI ahead of time i.e. grocer, pharmacy, Dr., ect. or risk 10KD fine (33kUSD) and 1 year in jail and/or deportation with the burden of repatriation placed on your sponsor. There are 2 cities who have been in total quarantine for over two weeks with concertina wire and barricades due to the high infection rate and it doesn't look like it will be getting any better.

Basic needs are being met via on-line delivery and drop off. All banking and non-essential services stopped. All non- essential govt. services stopped. Some are going without salary or partial salaries which is elevating a sense of crisis. People are worried.

I tried to buy groceries the other day and the line was out the door and down the street. The last time I waited in queue it was over 2.5 hours and I only purchased 2 small bags of items and the line was not even a fraction of the size it was the other day. I had been stocking up since I had been getting hints that something drastic was in the works and people were asking if I had plenty of drinking water and meat stocked. So I began picking up extras here and there.

Worst of all FOH stopped deliveries to me, so I had to reroute a purchase to the States. I still have a good number here, but resorted back to smoking my pipes more and placed an order for more pipe tobacco only to find it too will be delayed until the end of the month ? No worries since have several tins and a 1/2 lb of bulk I had stashed away. Plenty of smoke to be had. 

If I run low on food I can fast for a few days make it stretch :D I made it 4 days on a water fast last year, I was dreaming of eating a steak in my sleep though... 

• Sad 2

I live in a rural farm community in the western USA. The biggest industry is Ag related, though there are some big company internet facilities here attracted by the cheap electric power. Life is fairly normal in many ways. Very few wear masks. The local police wouldn’t even consider giving anyone a ticket for not doing so. In the towns some small businesses are opening; if they don’t they could lose everything. Big corporate chain stores such as Walmart have remained open. That’s where you see the most facemasks - worn by employees, not customers. - Officially, the governor of our state still has most things locked down. Adherence to the restrictions seems dependent on how conservative or liberal is a particular county.

Just read this by an economist in Asia, and it is depressing to say the least.  

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1913836/its-time-to-face-grim-covid-19-reality 

Something I never considered was that if we were to get a vaccine, we would still be limited by our production capacity on how fast we could produce it.  There are 70 labs working on it and if we assume they combined can produce 1M doses a day (an optimistic prediction) it would take 21.4 years to produce enough doses for the world.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kitchen said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1913836/its-time-to-face-grim-covid-19-reality 

Something I never considered was that if we were to get a vaccine, we would still be limited by our production capacity on how fast we could produce it.  There are 70 labs working on it and if we assume they each can produce 1M doses a day (an optimistic prediction) it would take 21.4 years to produce enough doses for the world.  

I hope a vaccine is developed but there are no guarantees. There's no vaccine for HIV. More than 35 years since that virus was identified and we have treatment but inoculation has been elusive. 

10 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Something I never considered was that if we were to get a vaccine, we would still be limited by our production capacity on how fast we could produce it.  There are 70 labs working on it and if we assume they combined can produce 1M doses a day (an optimistic prediction) it would take 21.4 years to produce enough doses for the world.  

Oh, that's not good. 

Here in Ontario,Canada, cases and deaths are dropping good, so they are slowly opening things back up....hopefully we don't get a spike back up.

10 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Everyone won't be sick at once, so having enough for every single person off the bat isn't the goal. 

10 hours ago, joeypots said:

I hope a vaccine is developed but there are no guarantees. There's no vaccine for HIV. More than 35 years since that virus was identified and we have treatment but inoculation has been elusive. 

Worth remembering that a human vaccine has never been developed for a coronavirus - not once.  There's never been as urgent a need as this obviously, so the research money and resources going into it now dwarf past outbreaks, but coronaviruses are primitive, RNA-based bugs.  Vaccines for them are hugely difficult.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

Officially, the governor of our state still has most things locked down. Adherence to the restrictions seems dependent on how conservative or liberal is a particular county.

Un-officially the governor of our state is an idiot. I'm a little south of you near Moses - Royal, and life here is very much as you have described... many small business have reopened, some in defiance of the orders, some a little more under the radar, but everybody has to eat and pay the bills so no one is too concerned about the overbearing rules coming from the capitol. Our Gov has adopted very strict lockdown rules, which in fairness are probably appropriate for the densely populated urban areas, but those urban areas are only a small fraction of the state and out here in the sticks things are much different. Just as the Feds have insisted it is up to the states to set guidelines, those same states should allow the counties and local municipalities to set rules appropriate for their residents.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kitchen said:

That is to vaccinate the entire planet, but let's face facts, that would never happen. And if a vaccine is created, I seriously doubt only 1 millions doses can be made daily (that's not an optimistic amount). The influenza vaccine is made in the billions every single year. The US alone makes about 150-200 million doses of the flu vaccine a year. That's only for half the population. Why is it not increased to vaccinate the entire population? Because not everyone will take it. You just need to look at some of the posts in this thread to know why. Less than 50% of the US population got the flu vaccine, with slightly higher numbers in Europe.

A Covid-19 vaccine will be prioritised to those in the high risk category first, and then work down the list. If what they think is true, that children are relatively safe, then they won't need to be vaccinated. According to census statistics, just under 30% of the world's population is under 16. So that removes a large number of required doses. 70 labs working on a vaccine is not the same as a manufacturing facility dedicated to vaccine production. Manufacturing would be ramped up, expanded, new facilities created, to ensure enough doses were created to push back the virus to tolerable levels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ImTripN2 said:

Un-officially the governor of our state is an idiot. I'm a little south of you near Moses - Royal, and life here is very much as you have described... many small business have reopened, some in defiance of the orders, some a little more under the radar, but everybody has to eat and pay the bills so no one is too concerned about the overbearing rules coming from the capitol. Our Gov has adopted very strict lockdown rules, which in fairness are probably appropriate for the densely populated urban areas, but those urban areas are only a small fraction of the state and out here in the sticks things are much different. Just as the Feds have insisted it is up to the states to set guidelines, those same states should allow the counties and local municipalities to set rules appropriate for their residents.

But remember, those rural areas will not have the facilities to combat an outbreak.

NSW banned travel to rural and coastal towns to prevent taxing their limited medical facilities. Whilst a big city may have multiple hospitals, a bunch of small towns may only one hospital or rely on a regional hospital. That regional hospital won't have the same facilities as a big city hospital, it's just not financially viable. It only takes one infected person to potentially wipe out an entire district.

spent a while talking to a good friend from finland last night. we have talked on the forum at length about sweden and neighbouring countries. one thing i had not thought of is that the death tolls might indeed even up but not because the approach does not matter. rather that being next to sweden, every chance they "share" with their neighbours. he said finland is terrified, being stuck between sweden and russia. he is fortunate in that he has a fabulous house on the lakes with plenty of forest nearby for walking and jogging and he also has one of the world's best cellars. 

he made one really interesting point, and it would be good to know if this is reflected in other northern hemisphere countries, that their usual death toll from the flu is way down this year. they have had 260 plus deaths from the virus so far, whereas they normally lose around 500 a year from flu. not sure what it is down to but he did say that overall, between the two, the death toll was down (someone may have exact figures to support or disprove that). flu down because of the lockdowns and distancing. of course, who knows what th total death toll might have been without lockdowns/distancing etc. well, sweden might. 

Here in Egypt things are fairly similar to around the world. The airport is shut and there is a night time curfew. The infection rate seems to be picking up quite a bit here. The restrictions were relaxed for Ramadan (the 7pm curfew was moved to 9pm) and people seem to have stopped paying much attention to it. 

Interestingly though, they Recently announced that the death rate for April was actually down 2.8% for April compared to the last two years. 

Hopefully things turn around a bit soon, I would like to be able to fly home during the summer.

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

spent a while talking to a good friend from finland last night. we have talked on the forum at length about sweden and neighbouring countries. one thing i had not thought of is that the death tolls might indeed even up but not because the approach does not matter. rather that being next to sweden, every chance they "share" with their neighbours. he said finland is terrified, being stuck between sweden and russia. he is fortunate in that he has a fabulous house on the lakes with plenty of forest nearby for walking and jogging and he also has one of the world's best cellars. 

he made one really interesting point, and it would be good to know if this is reflected in other northern hemisphere countries, that their usual death toll from the flu is way down this year. they have had 260 plus deaths from the virus so far, whereas they normally lose around 500 a year from flu. not sure what it is down to but he did say that overall, between the two, the death toll was down (someone may have exact figures to support or disprove that). flu down because of the lockdowns and distancing. of course, who knows what th total death toll might have been without lockdowns/distancing etc. well, sweden might. 

At least in the UK the annual flu deaths were around half of the usual count. It's thought that those who survived this year's unusually mild flu season haven't survived COVID19 so have contributed quite a lot to the number of deaths by about an extra 10,000

10 hours ago, Fuzz said:

But remember, those rural areas will not have the facilities to combat an outbreak.

NSW banned travel to rural and coastal towns to prevent taxing their limited medical facilities. Whilst a big city may have multiple hospitals, a bunch of small towns may only one hospital or rely on a regional hospital. That regional hospital won't have the same facilities as a big city hospital, it's just not financially viable. It only takes one infected person to potentially wipe out an entire district.

Of course that is a a possibility, but as far as I know that scenario has not yet happened in the entire US, and 97% of our land mass is classified as 'rural'. What is a fact is that many, if not most of our regional medical facilities are on the verge of insolvency due to a lack of services allowed, there is no elective surgery, no routine appointments, no regular treatments available to people with chronic conditions. In short, most hospitals are empty of patients and many staff members are laid off. We've ruined our economy and created untold hardships for a series of "what if" events, most of which have not come to pass.

But of course, hindsight is always 20-20.

• 3 weeks later...

With all the unrest, protests and riots happening around the US right now it will be telling to see what the impact will be to new cases in the coming couple of weeks.

Hundreds packed together in some of the densest cities in the States, many without masks.

• 1 month later...

Here in Atlanta we're reeling back to stay at home orders, businesses shuttered. Take out/delivery only from restaurants and a mandatory mask order when in public. Essentially March through May all over again.

The Mayor is positive for Covid-19 though asymptomatic. Her husband and one child also are positive. Hitting too close to home I imagine.

So now it's a do-over since we did't get it right the first time.....

20-40 year old's just can't do the social distancing thing.. and hey its their time only young once. The community spread therefore will not easily be abated. Numbers of infection only garnered from those tested so its 10-30 times higher in reality . No end in sight. Stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20-40 year old's just can't do the social distancing thing.. and hey its their time only young once. The community spread therefore will not easily be abated. Numbers of infection only garnered from those tested so its 10-30 times higher in reality . No end in sight. Stay safe.

I’m 34 and have no problem social distancing.
I think the issue is too many ignorant people out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Here in Atlanta we're reeling back to stay at home orders, businesses shuttered. Take out/delivery only from restaurants and a mandatory mask order when in public. Essentially March through May all over again.

The Mayor is positive for Covid-19 though asymptomatic. Her husband and one child also are positive. Hitting too close to home I imagine.

So now it's a do-over since we did't get it right the first time.....

At least your state isn't plunging headlong (still) into "Oh, won't someone please think of the economy!"  They banter about projected deaths via suicide from an economic depression while the hospitals are filling right now due to this virus.  Hell, I have to convince my employers to allow me to return to working from home.  I've had enough of their cavalier attitude, however.  I'm not going back, regardless of their opinion regarding this "hoax virus."

• Like 2

We're facing a third wave of infections in HK. For the better part of 2 months since May, we've have a handful to 0 local infections daily, but this has suddenly gone up in the past week with no apparent obvious explanation, and in a big randomised pattern. (Below graph includes "imported" infections too)

This thing is not going to go away soon, and I don't believe it's viable to keep borders closed forever. 

Screenshot_20200712-120619.png

I'm in Kansas City area and now cant go anywhere without a mask. Figured since mandatory and not going away soon I would pickup a few more masks. Went retro with Doors and Stones mask and of course a Super Bowl Champion Chiefs mask.