Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

1 hour ago, saintsmokealot said:

Unfortunately the CV is why I couldn't meet up in Miami with everyone. Our trip to Italy was cut short and I thought I could make it however we have put ourselves in self quarantine. BTW we had to cut the short trip bc we were flying direct home from Milan and all flights were cancelled as no AA flight crews would fly to Milan and our hotel in Florence (on the way to Milan) closed down and try to put us in a sister property. 

Wow! Sorry to hear. Hope you'll all be OK.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

On 3/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, Deeg said:

Also flushable wet wipes are sold out everywhere here too. ?

Hong Kong is an interesting test case.  Took a lot of heat for seeming overreaction when they had relatively few cases - closing schools for months, banning all public gatherings, mandated work from home for many.  But the numbers out of there suggest it did exactly what it was intended to do.  And as a side benefit, it totally wiped out their flu season.

HK did have the experience of SARS in 2013.  So far, HK citizens are doing a good job.

• Like 1

My buddy and I have officially cancelled our plans to fly to Seattle to see Joe Bonamassa in the Paramount Theatre on Feb 21. As much as I want to see Joe B before I die, I don’t want others to die as a result.

Now I’m just hoping I can get Hawaiian Airlines to let me at least bank my tickets at a reasonable cost, I had a fine lay-flat seat at the front of the bus both ways.  

Interesting account from an Italian doctor in the news today. It's strange to see the contradictions that some media/governments are releasing compared to the people dealing with it on the front line. I guess there is a fine line to tread between supplying information and not inducing panic. 

Where I am the information seems to be purposely light, which is a little frustrating

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-doctor-says-fighting-covid-19-outbreak-is-like-war-11954229

A teacher passed out here in Atlanta in the middle of class.  Now hospitalized and is apparently in serious condition, testing positive.  Fulton county schools, as a result, are closed today.  I expect more closings in the near future.  The testing guidelines also changed.  Before yesterday only those presenting flu like symptoms AND recently traveled out of the country could be tested for Coronavirus.  Now everyone can be tested.  This will cause a huge spike in cases and increase panic.  Stay safe and strong!

7 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Interesting account from an Italian doctor in the news today. It's strange to see the contradictions that some media/governments are releasing compared to the people dealing with it on the front line. I guess there is a fine line to tread between supplying information and not inducing panic. 

Where I am the information seems to be purposely light, which is a little frustrating

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-doctor-says-fighting-covid-19-outbreak-is-like-war-11954229

This health crisis may be much more serious than we are being led to believe.   463 deaths out of 9000 cases Italy, thats over 5% ! 

Billions of dollars in global activities such as trade, tourism, sporting events , concerts , conferences etc. do not get cancelled because of the flu.

Israel is (self) quarantining anyone for 14 days coming into the country from anywhere .   

Iranian Government  has not been honest about the outbreak , estimates indicate they could have millions of cases . 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

15 hours ago, Islandboy said:

My buddy and I have officially cancelled our plans to fly to Seattle to see Joe Bonamassa in the Paramount Theatre on Feb 21. As much as I want to see Joe B before I die, I don’t want others to die as a result.

Now I’m just hoping I can get Hawaiian Airlines to let me at least bank my tickets at a reasonable cost, I had a fine lay-flat seat at the front of the bus both ways.  

I'm hoping our trip to your island in July will still happen.  I've got the same seats you're describing but more importantly, I don't want to miss out on a week in my favorite destination.

I stayed home sick today. Main symptoms are congestion and cough. I am a city worker.  I work outdoors and am in a truck with my partner for good portions of the day. It was raining today so even more reason to stay out of the rain. But I kind of feel obligated to stay home with a cough. Or at least that’s my brain convincing myself to stay home a few days. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Subcomandante said:

I stayed home sick today. Main symptoms are congestion and cough. I am a city worker.  I work outdoors and am in a truck with my partner for good portions of the day. It was raining today so even more reason to stay out of the rain. But I kind of feel obligated to stay home with a cough. Or at least that’s my brain convincing myself to stay home a few days. 

Don’t second guess yourself. You made the right decision!

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs

This is just one mans view on this situation, so take it for what it's worth. But I'd say the sooner people actually start to take this seriously and stop with the "This is just a media thing" nonsense the better. For all of us. If you feel sick stay at home and wash your damn hands.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

I'm hoping our trip to your island in July will still happen.  I've got the same seats you're describing but more importantly, I don't want to miss out on a week in my favorite destination.

Geezus. If it’s still going on in July then we’ll all be out of a job. Let me know if you come to Waikiki.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Those who continue to be convinced this is "media hype" or politically motivated... will be conveniently Darwinned out of the gene pool... so, silver lining?

?

Well - you can easily track who's cancelling political rallies and who isn't.

The Golden State Warriors (based out of San Francisco, for folks not up on inter/national basketball) just announced that they won't be playing in front of a crowd for at least a couple of games at home, after the State of California did their State of Emergency declaration. As someone who is increasingly certain they had it, if I did, and my symptoms were indicative of most "healthy" middle-aged people, then in the US alone there have to be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of cases. By this point, it's almost inevitable. You're going to get it. 

My experience was that I felt pretty awful for about 2.5 days, then the remainder was just recovering from a bit of fatigue, a constant heaviness of the chest (not painful, not hard to breathe, just like...as if you were holding your young kid against your chest). I'd rather not get these symptoms again, but it was like a mild flu, with no stomach problems. 

And the sliver lining....my cigars continue to age, untouched...for two weeks now :P

• Like 1

take this for what its worth as more speculation but I had a conversation with an epidemiologist for CDC who was on the front lines for MERS a few years back...and her comment to me was that she expects 65 million Americans to get it over the next 6-8 months...I thought she misspoke at first...that kind of woke me up as to the seriousness of it...so here in the bay area we are limiting our public exposure and keeping the kids home from school...better to be safe than sorry. 

1 hour ago, mbflash80 said:

take this for what its worth as more speculation but I had a conversation with an epidemiologist for CDC who was on the front lines for MERS a few years back...and her comment to me was that she expects 65 million Americans to get it over the next 6-8 months...I thought she misspoke at first...that kind of woke me up as to the seriousness of it...so here in the bay area we are limiting our public exposure and keeping the kids home from school...better to be safe than sorry. 

Supreme Court and Congress were briefed today that 70-150 million in the U.S. are expected to eventually contract it.

It’s been said already but worth repeating. There’s a fundamental disconnect with this approach of “I’m not in a high risk group so I don’t need to change my behavior”. In the first place, this is not the flu - even younger and healthy people are at much greater risk. Look at Italy, where people in their 40s and 50s are being hit hard.

But the much more important point is this : in a pandemic, emergency measures aren’t there to protect you, they’re to protect society as a whole. Even if you have mild symptoms and recover, you’re probably going to infect someone in a vulnerable demographic before you even realize you’re sick (and that’s assuming you do the right thing and self-quarantine after symptoms). It’s when the health care system is overrun and collapses - as we’re seeing in Italy - that real disaster strikes. That’s what these changes in behavior are intended to forestall.

Japan is an interesting test case. The growth of new cases is far behind what it statistically should be. It’s widely believed that this is because the Abe government is behind the curve in testing (not as far as the U.S., but no industrialized nation is as far behind in testing as the U.S.) in order to depress numbers and try to save the Olympics (which are toast, IMO). Certainly possible and quite in-character. But the puzzling thing is that there’s been no huge spike in hospitalizations, which you’d expect if it were simply a matter of underreporting - especially since Japan has the largest elderly population in the first world per capita. Why is that?

The best guess right now is that the reason is that the Japanese are so good as following instructions. If you’ve spent any time here you know, it’s no myth - this is a society where service to the community over the individual is a religion and the people are literally obedient to a fault. It’s possible that the Japanese are so assiduously adhering to dictums about self-quarantine and limiting contact that they’re slowing the spread of COVID-19 dramatically. If that’s true (and there’s no way yet to know for sure) it’s evidence that containment measures other than Chinese-style lockdowns really do work. But only if people do their part as individuals.

• Like 3

Events being pulled left and right here in the US. My big event client is on full stop. If it's not hitting you physically it's starting to hit people economically.  The stock market keeps tanking thousands of points daily. Fear and Panic are on full display now. I wish I didn't have to say this but I think it's gonna worse before it gets better.

• Like 1