Belinda Corona

mikinva

I was given a Belinda Corona last night at a party. Started out so so, just OK, like a JLP. About half way thru, it turned to fresh baked bread and stayed that way til about an inch to go, then turned tarrry. An interesting cigar, short filler, I think it was actually chopped tobacco, little pieces fell out, it had a shoulder, but no cap. It came in a plastic tubo. Google search indicated it was machine made, but didn't look it, very rustic.

Funny you should mention this cigar, I received one as a gift last week.

It would have been purchased from some local cigar shop locally and in the last week.

I'll probably try it in the next couple of months and post up some thoughts.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

I've heard of these, but haven't personally tried any. From what I've read, they never seemed to be worth hunting for. I believe they were discontinued 15 or so years ago?

The hand made Marca has been gone for a long long time, much more than 15 years. Then came back, then went away again, but this was all pre 1990s I think.

The machine mades are still manufactured though, according to CCW, they started producing them in 05.  

On a whim, I picked up a 3 or 5 pack in the airport on my way out of Havana 3 or 4 years ago. They weren't good, at all. Any of them. For the price, I wish they had been better, but I struggled to get past the 1/2" mark on any of them. Bitter, acrid, metallic, lots of little tobacco flakes. Just not enjoyable. 

But, I'm sure they aren't all that way and it's good to hear @mikinva had a good experience though, because these are the cheapest of C&C's. 

I have tried the machine-made ones.   They look really terrible once you take them out of the plastic tubes, but the ones I have been tried have been straightforward-- sweet and pleasant--better than my very low expectations, most similar to the current short-filler La Flor de Cano.      

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think these are only really available at certain Duty Frees. I believe I saw Belinda and Troya at the Mexico City airport a few years back. They're both very hard to find online. I don't think I've ever seen any in Cuba.

Interesting since both brands--particularly Belinda--were extremely renowned Cuban brands pre-Rev until the 60s. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...