Do you prefer SLBs or Dress boxes?

What's your favorite type of cigar box?   

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Ahh yes you're absolutely right. I guess there's just something about bare wood that is attractive to me. Please don't take that the wrong way lol

I dig them too especially the older ones with the thicker wood.

I tend to associate my cigars with the boxes they come in, so I initially felt inclined to vote for dress boxes simply because more of the cigars I love come in dress boxes or varnished flip-tops.  On the other hand, when I have a choice, I tend to go for a SLB, so that's where I put my vote.  Oh, sweet ambivalence.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

They're not all round in cabs.  The ribbon can really deform several cigars.

That may be true in some instances with the ribbon. But if you wish to debate the fact that the cigars are not "round" in slide lid boxes you would be incorrect. They are indeed round and not box pressed.

• Like 1

I get a different feeling of anticipation opening a dress box...and I think the aura of seeing dress boxes in a humidor gives off a better impression. So I voted dress box.

BUT it must be said that, I’ve inherited dress boxes from family members in the last 2 years...some taken care of well, some not.   and the aroma from a significantly older dress box well maintained is kinda un-mistakable.  Whereas the few slide lids that I’ve inherited didn’t have that issue.  So even in perusing FOH auctions, I always tend to scroll past dress boxes.

• Like 1

SLB; Opening them is like sliding the curtain open to a surprise, no nail required for shutting the box completely, and less chance for damaging that first cigar trying to pull it out of a too tightly packed box.

I prefer SLBs. There is just something sexy about sliding the lid off and seeing that bundle of cigars cinched by a yellow ribbon. I always have a small twinge of regret when I slide the first one out and spoil the perfection. 
However, it’s kind of a moot question. The box is just a conveyance. The cigar is what makes the decision for me. I buy the cigar I want, and take it in whatever box it comes in. Probably my favorite go to cigar is the HU2, and it only comes in a dress box, so I’ve got a bunch of them. 
The only one I know that you have a choice is the BBF, and all the ones I’ve purchased were SLBs. Any insight into why HSA offers them in both formats? I originally thought it was probably a specific market preferred one over the other, but if that’s the case, why aren’t there others with an option?

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, The Squiggler said:

...surprised nobody has mentioned the classic glass-top boxes most of the ultra premium CCs are served up in.  These are the obvious choice.

Especially since I'd guess most of us have purchased the glass top premium cigars at one point ....hands?  Mines up.  

I love the construction and function of SLB's but appreciate both the space created and nostalgia of a dress box