Patrick O’Brien Aubrey/Maturin novels

ayepatz

Over the festive season I was laid up with sinusitis, sick as a parrot and sofa-bound for most of each day, so I decided to re-read Patrick O’Brien’s series of Aubrey/Maturin novels.

Widely regarded as the finest series of historical novels ever produced (20 books and an unfinished 21st), I have to say that, as I approach the end of the road for the second time, I will miss my old friends Jack and Stephen.

Their adventures in (and out of) the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars have enthralled me just as much this time as they did the first time I followed them a decade ago, and, if I’m honest, I think I probably enjoyed them even more this time around.

Any other fans out there?

If you haven’t read them I urge you to follow Jack’s advice from Admiral Nelson - “Never mind manoeuvres. Go straight at them.”

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

Over the festive season I was laid up with sinusitis, sick as a parrot and sofa-bound for most of each day, so I decided to re-read Patrick O’Brien’s series of Aubrey/Maturin novels.

Widely regarded as the finest series of historical novels ever produced (20 books and an unfinished 21st), I have to say that, as I approach the end of the road for the second time, I will miss my old friends Jack and Stephen.

Their adventures in (and out of) the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars have enthralled me just as much this time as they did the first time I followed them a decade ago, and, if I’m honest, I think I probably enjoyed them even more this time around.

Any other fans out there?

If you haven’t read them I urge you to follow Jack’s advice from Admiral Nelson - “Never mind manoeuvres. Go straight at them.”

read the first one which i much enjoyed. but for some reason, never got quite excited enough to read more. worth rethinking that. 

been trying to read the latest james ellroy, 'this storm'. enjoy his books but the combo of being crook, the books occasionally being hard work and i was not up for 600 pages of hard work, plus having a heap of books backed up behind it, i effectively conceded defeat for now. have a heap lined up. 

8 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

read the first one which i much enjoyed. but for some reason, never got quite excited enough to read more. worth rethinking that. 

been trying to read the latest james ellroy, 'this storm'. enjoy his books but the combo of being crook, the books occasionally being hard work and i was not up for 600 pages of hard work, plus having a heap of books backed up behind it, i effectively conceded defeat for now. have a heap lined up. 

I’ve read a bit of Ellroy, and enjoyed what I read - Black Dahlia and LA Confidential and another couple but I forget which. I will maybe revisit him after O’Brien.  Any particular recommendations?

As for the O’Briens all the books are essentially one massive novel, with each picking up where the precious left off. His improvement as a writer is hugely apparent and by the third of the series he’s really off and running, if that helps inspire you to revisit him.

10 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I’ve read a bit of Ellroy, and enjoyed what I read - Black Dahlia and LA Confidential and another couple but I forget which. I will maybe revisit him after O’Brien.  Any particular recommendations?

As for the O’Briens all the books are essentially one massive novel, with each picking up where the precious left off. His improvement as a writer is hugely apparent and by the third of the series he’s really off and running, if that helps inspire you to revisit him.

for me, the LA quartet are his best and very much worthwhile.