Travel Backpack

Hello all,

I am currently looking to buy a travel backpack. Here are the features i am looking for:

- Need to be able to take it with me in a plane (Carry-on)

- Something that won't puncture/rip easily

- Water/rain resistant

- Clamshell loading

Any suggestion on brands and specific model ?

Thanks

I really like the Cotopaxi model I purchased a few months ago after realizing how much better air travel is without checking a bag

I got mine on sale I’m sure they make offers periodically.

Basically has all the specs you mentioned, clamshell, waterproof cover, carry on size
Can’t remember model name but their website should be easily navigated 

D0CABDCF-B043-4466-A393-3FE5C0B1314C.jpeg

46E659CC-2E02-4E6C-827F-5B53B351BB09.jpeg

Osprey Farpoint 40. It’s a brilliant bag that I’ve used for a lot of week-long business trips, but I’ve also used it for some mountain day walks. Good padding and harness, which zips away if you want to make it tidy or carry it like a suitcase. Clamshell with lots of dividers. It’s rain resistant, but if you want to trudge in the wet for hours then you need an additional cover. Durable. Not the lightest, slimmest or most technical, so not a ‘fast hiking’ bag. But incredibly versatile.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RDB said:

Osprey Farpoint 40. It’s a brilliant bag that I’ve used for a lot of week-long business trips, but I’ve also used it for some mountain day walks. Good padding and harness, which zips away if you want to make it tidy or carry it like a suitcase. Clamshell with lots of dividers. It’s rain resistant, but if you want to trudge in the wet for hours then you need an additional cover. Durable. Not the lightest, slimmest or most technical, so not a ‘fast hiking’ bag. But incredibly versatile.

This model is often listed in the "Best travel backpacks" articles i have read so far. The Goruck GR2 looks pretty good also.

Stupidly expensive but  I have a lot of time for the Tumi Alpha Bravo Peterson Wheeled Backpack. comes in Black or Olive (here at least). 

I have had mine for two years.  200+ flights and around the world a couple of times. Comes with me to work each day.  Nothing has fallen off, nothing has torn. Holds enough for 3 days away. 

Tumi Alpha Bravo Peterson Wheeled Backpack, Olive

Picture 4 of 5

Picture 5 of 5

• Like 4

I will also vouch for the Osprey farpoint backpack it's been literally everywhere and been the perfect companion. Deserts of Morocco... The steppe in Mongolia... Safari in Tanzania. It handles it all. Highly recommend. They also have a lifetime warranty. Worth the investment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Stupidly expensive but  I have a lot of time for the Tumi Alpha Bravo Peterson Wheeled Backpack. comes in Black or Olive (here at least). 

I have had mine for two years.  200+ flights and around the world a couple of times. Comes with me to work each day.  Nothing has fallen off, nothing has torn. Holds enough for 3 days away. 

Tumi Alpha Bravo Peterson Wheeled Backpack, Olive

Picture 4 of 5

Picture 5 of 5

Definitely bad ass, but i won't be using it as much as you do and i won't be taking to work on a daily basis so it's a bit overkill for my needs. Thanks for the suggestion though.

They are more of a duffel bag with back pack straps that can be tucked away. Lots of organization with smooth zippers. All mystery ranch stuff is really well made and the thing is like a black hole. I’ve been amazed at how much you can pack in it and still stay really organized. 

7486C792-9DB8-475A-9D39-1D07F66EC590.png

7CF43C61-5AAB-4CE5-8A49-A3716B1CBEA5.png

01046055-8797-4BB2-A1C6-D199D145357B.png

Tortuga has great backpack options. I have a 45L that's been on several Asia trips and done well. The last couple years though I've been loving the Pakt One duffle...too build quality and really well thought out. Getting your travel kit down to the essentials (capsule wardrobe plus minimal toiletries) and into a 35L bag really does wonders for mobility.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Farpoint 40. I've taken mine all over SE Asia, western Europe, Mexico and the US. It's not a perfect bag, but given availability, price and warranty I haven't found anything that beats it (yet).

edit: worth noting this isn't waterproof and I don't believe it's water resistant. I've found that if I'm worried about something getting wet I'll wrap it in heavy duty plastic bag and place it inside the bag. The bag is fairly sturdy, so I wouldn't worry about punctures/rips. This will fit as a carry on on nearly any wide body aircraft. The only time fit has been questionable is with smaller regional jets and turbo props, but I've still managed to shove it under my seat without issue.

Something to keep in mind about the Osprey 40, is the straps that go around your waist cannot be tucked away unless you also tuck away the shoulder straps.  They can be a little annoying at times when you don't need them, like walking through airports etc.

I have one and it is a great backpack, but for most short airplane trips I find it easier to use bags without waist straps.

3 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

Something to keep in mind about the Osprey 40, is the straps that go around your waist cannot be tucked away unless you also tuck away the shoulder straps.  They can be a little annoying at times when you don't need them, like walking through airports etc.

I have one and it is a great backpack, but for most short airplane trips I find it easier to use bags without waist straps.

I, too, dislike the hip belt. Couple options:

1. Loosen straps all the way and clip them together on the front of the bag.

2. Loosen straps, clip them together and then put the bag on.

Or cut them off entirely. Same with the sternum strap. Works well for me anyway.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Definitely bad ass, but i won't be using it as much as you do and i won't be taking to work on a daily basis so it's a bit overkill for my needs. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I looked for it and it seems to either have been discontinued or not available in US :(

Bump to anything Osprey. I have an osprey pack for bike commuting. The quality of construction and materials is unbelievable.

Clipping and just using the shoulder straps doesn’t really dig in to my back in my experience anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Osprey Farpoint 40 seems the way to go. I am also looking a the GORUCK GR2 which seem to be made from better quality material when compared to the Osprey there is however a substantial difference in prices between the two.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I looked for it and it seems to either have been discontinued or not available in US :(

Two years is an eternity for Tumi. They redesign everything each year. When the line sells out, it’s gone. There are several new iterations of the   Alpha Bravo line on Tumi’s website, but they are different from El Pres’s backpack 

I use and highly recommend Tom Bihn bags. They are amazing. I’ve lived out of my Aeronaut 30 for years. Their quality is fantastic, the design is great but above all else their service is next level. Would not look anywhere else.