New regular production lines for 2020

Several brands will see a permanent addition to the line-up. Some will be new cigars, others will get updated packaging. Last year, Habanos released the 5½x48 Cuaba Britannica’s Extra and now they will come in tubes. H. Upmann will see the release of an Upmann Connoisseur in boxes of 25. There will be a re-release of the Hoyo Souvenir de Luxe. These 5⅛x42 were a staple in the 1970s but got discontinued in the 1980s. They will be packed in packs of 5 or boxes of 50.

The volume brand Jose L Piedra will see the release of two new vitolas. There will be a Piedras No.6 and a new Petit Caballeros for Jose L Piedra. Fans of La Flor de Cano will see 10-count tins of La Flor de Cano Elegidos. There will be a new Por Larranaga under the name Galanes. The Punch Triumfos was discontinued in the 1970s but these small cigars, 5⅛x42, will return in packs of 5 and boxes of 50. There will be two new Romeo y Julieta cigars, the Nobles, and Hidalgos. Both come in boxes of 20 cigars. The packaging will be in the style of the Montecristo Lineament 1935.

Here is the news source....https://ministryofcigars.com/habanos-festival-release-list/

A new 50 cab! OH my!! Also a new PL!! Interesting stuff!! 

• Like 2

Here is a list based on this article....

• 5½x48 Cuaba Britannica’s Extra
  • Upmann Connoisseur in boxes of 25 (Connie C???) 
  • 5⅛x42 re-release of the Hoyo Souvenir de Luxe (50 cabs!!)
  • Jose L Piedra - Piedras No. 6 
  • Jose L Piedra - Petite Caballeros
  • La Flor de Cano Elegidos - 10-count tins 
  • Por Larranaga - Galanes 
  • 5⅛x42 - re-release Punch Triumfos (50 cabs!!!)
  • Romeo y Julieta - Nobles (20 counts boxes) 
  • Romeo y Julieta - Hidalgos (booo 20 count boxes) 
  • Like 1

Seems pretty consistent with this list posted in August: 

1 hour ago, benfica_77 said:

5⅛x42 - re-release Punch Triumfos (50 cabs!!!)

Hmmm...a old Punch resurrection, a Marevas, 5-packs--I'm thinking this is going to be a Linea Retro release in tins. 

I think the 50s means 5 x 10, not cabs. 

Upmann Connoisseur in boxes of 25 (Connie C???) 

According to the August list, these will be Connie No. 2. Hoping for a Hermosos No. 3 or No. 2 on these...

• Romeo y Julieta - Nobles (20 counts boxes) 
  • Romeo y Julieta - Hidalgos (booo 20 count boxes) 

Sounds expensive. Pass. Not impressed by what I'm hearing about the Maravillas or the recent GR Wide Churchills...sounds like RyJ is striking out with their premium releases.

Por Larranaga - Galanes 

5½x48 Cuaba Britannica’s Extra

These are the two I'm most optimistic about along with the Connie 2. I'd love to see another PL added to the line and the existing Cuaba lineup is a little goofy. I don't like any of the vitolas except for the Distinguidos and they're too big for most times. If these are priced similarly to the Exclusivos I'm interested.

• 1 year later...

On 2/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, benfica_77 said:
  • 5⅛x42 re-release of the Hoyo Souvenir de Luxe (50 cabs!!)
  • 5⅛x42 - re-release Punch Triumfos (50 cabs!!!)

If they’re priced like the other Linea Retro offerings, I can’t see them taking off either. Too bad as it’s a great size.  Now if they actually came in 50 cabs (instead of cardboard 10 x 5 tins) at a comparable price point to other PCs, then it might be a different story.

4 hours ago, PurosyVino said:

I snagged a tin of Souvenir de Luxe from 1960. Decent smokes.

Since these were discontinued in the 80s, what do they do about blends? Is it basically going to be a new blend with an old name? Either way, will probably try them but if they’re priced/packaged like the current Linea retro, it’ll be a hard sell for me value-wise with other similarly sized offerings currently available.

Just now, Shrimpchips said:

Since these were discontinued in the 80s, what do they do about blends? Is it basically going to be a new blend with an old name? Either way, will probably try them but if they’re priced/packaged like the current Linea retro, it’ll be a hard sell for me value-wise with other similarly sized offerings currently available.

Yeah. That's the Million dollar question whenever an old cigar is resurrected.  If I were to smoke a new one and compare it to my old ones, it wouldn't be a good comparison given the difference in age even if it was the same blend.  When the German RE Ramon Allones 898 came out I smoked one of my 2002 RA898's and compared it to the new one a few days after.  To my palate, it was 60% similar to the original release.  IMO, that's not too bad.  And maybe it will be closer with age?

1 hour ago, PurosyVino said:

Yeah. That's the Million dollar question whenever an old cigar is resurrected.  If I were to smoke a new one and compare it to my old ones, it wouldn't be a good comparison given the difference in age even if it was the same blend.  When the German RE Ramon Allones 898 came out I smoked one of my 2002 RA898's and compared it to the new one a few days after.  To my palate, it was 60% similar to the original release.  IMO, that's not too bad.  And maybe it will be closer with age?

Given the vitola was discontinued 30-35 years ago, even the most vivid memory of the blend at fresh is probably off.  I suppose even if it was completely different, who would really know? 

• Like 1